473,385 Members | 1,468 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,385 software developers and data experts.

System.Boolean Question.

hello, everybody.

today, i read msdn like usual, suddenly i found variable with type of
System.Boolean should take up 2 Bytes. it surprised me a lot. why a
boolean value should take up 2 bytes? in my option, 1 bit should be ok:)
// code.
if (value == ASC(0)) {
return System.Boolean.FALSE;
} else {
return System.Boolean.TRUE;
}

Best Regards,

Tyrone Chou
3/10/2006
Mar 11 '06 #1
2 4580

"Tyrone Chou" <Ty********@MSN.Com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
hello, everybody.

today, i read msdn like usual, suddenly i found variable with type of
boolean value should take up 2 bytes? in my option, 1 bit should be ok:)

Well, a bit is out of the question. While it is nice space wise, accesing a
single bit is likely far more expensive than the additional few bits used to
store it. Space isn't everything.

Also, FWIW, I'm pretty sure the base boolean type is 4 bytes, because modern
procesors work with groups of 4 bytes better than they do with one.
// code.
if (value == ASC(0)) {
return System.Boolean.FALSE;
} else {
return System.Boolean.TRUE;
}

I don't see why this code is here. Did you have a question with regards to
it?
Mar 11 '06 #2
>today, i read msdn like usual, suddenly i found variable with type of
boolean value should take up 2 bytes?

It doesn't, it takes one byte (the smallest size you can address). You
can check that yourself with sizeof(bool). Any MSND topics that says
otherwise are wrong. If you want to store a lot of boolean values with
just a single bit each, use a BitArray.
Mattias

--
Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/ | http://www.dotnetinterop.com
Please reply only to the newsgroup.
Mar 11 '06 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Brian | last post by:
I've looked through the previous posts on this one and have verified permissions and location of my Dlls, but I am still getting an exception when I try to Load an assembly. The directory where...
by: Tim Cartwright | last post by:
I have a page that has the login control on it, nothing else. This page inherits from a master page, neither page has any code in it. This page works perfectly when running on the WebDev debug web...
by: Lance | last post by:
I want to expose properties of a class to a user via a PropertyGrid class. Some of the properties are of type System.IO.FileInfo. Ideally, an OpenFileDialog window would appear when the user...
by: ECathell | last post by:
Ok this may be a silly question...but here goes... I need to extend the boolean type. the reason for this is I have a base collection that has boolean properties. Then my inherited class has...
by: Stacey Levine | last post by:
I have a webservice that I wanted to return an ArrayList..Well the service compiles and runs when I have the output defined as ArrayList, but the WSDL defines the output as an Object so I was...
by: Arthur Dent | last post by:
How do you sort a generic collection derived from System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection? Thanks in advance, - Arthur Dent
by: nicomp | last post by:
I created a Web Service: I imported System.Data.SqlClient so I could access SQL server tables programmatically. The web service builds and deploys with no problems. When I try to add the...
by: Mike | last post by:
Hi I have problem as folow: Caught Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Request for the permission of type...
by: Henry Stock | last post by:
I am trying to understand the following error: Any thing you can tell me about this is appreciated. Security Exception Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often need to import Excel data into databases (such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle) for data analysis and processing. Usually, we use database tools like Navicat or the Excel import...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.