473,408 Members | 2,813 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

Web-based file upload -- who grants/denies permissions to whom?

Hello,

After all this time, Linux file permissions still confuse me at times.

I have a Python web-based application with an file (images) upload module. The application is running on two remote servers and a local server on my development network.

The upload module works just fine when I'm uploading to my remote servers. But when I try to upload to my development server, I get a permission error.

What I don't understand is who is granting/denying permission to whom?

Let's say:

-- the file to be downloaded is owned by dddd and group dddd
-- others in dddd have read permission but not write permission
-- the directory the target directory for download is tttt and group tttt

Question 1: Should I be looking at my Python upload code or my permission scheme to allow download to my development server?

Question 2: If Python upload code, what should the code look like?

Question 3: If permission scheme, how should I change it to permit download to my development server?

Question 4: From a security perspective, what is best practice for a) assigning file and directory permissions in web-based applications; b) crafting the upload module?

Many thanks,

Lloyd
Nov 19 '07 #1
1 2212
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Hiya, Lloyd:

Your question may be more suited for the Linux / Unix / BSD Forum. There are, however, a few *x users on the Python Forum, so I'll keep your question here. I've copied your question over, for your convenience.

Good luck and thanks for joining TheScripts.
Nov 19 '07 #2

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Jeremy Ames | last post by:
I have created a web application that uses a custom control and a web service on my local system. I have gotten all of the bugs worked out on my local system and now it is time to move it to the...
by: Diego F. | last post by:
I've been days with that. I'm trying to work with web services sending and returning objects, and the web service must store some objects. - My first try (the most obvious in my opinion) was to use...
by: Gregory Hassett | last post by:
Hi, I have a web service called GetComputerNameAndDescription which I can call from the main thread of my app. If I call it from a separate thread, however, it hangs on the call to Invoke() -- but...
by: James Wong | last post by:
Hi everybody, I'm developing a web service using VB.NET which calls a web form to let user input something. In web service, I use Server.Execute ("WebForm.aspx") to load and execute the web...
by: Erick Lopez | last post by:
When I send my web page to browser in ouput windows recibe this message and the web page the error BC32400 Please Help me Auto-attach to process ' aspnet_wp.exe' on machine 'TABLET'...
by: Michael Herman \(Parallelspace\) | last post by:
1. What are some compelling solutions for using Master/Content pages with Web Pages? 2. If a content area has a web part zone with web parts, what is the user experience like when "editting" the...
by: pd123 | last post by:
I'm new to C# and .net and I'm trying to create a form that will register users in a sql server database. I have the following code but when I run the code I get an error " The name 'Peter' is...
by: Jonas | last post by:
Hi. I'm trying to develop a web custom control that uses a programmatically created treeview. My problem is that I get an exception when I try to render the control. With properties do I have to...
by: nicomp | last post by:
I created a Web Service: I imported System.Data.SqlClient so I could access SQL server tables programmatically. The web service builds and deploys with no problems. When I try to add the...
by: job | last post by:
In a sharepoint setup using smartpart to load our user controls using enterprise blocks (data) we are getting some strange errors (logged to the event log). We dont get the error all the time. When...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.