473,386 Members | 1,738 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

Solid DHTML Reference

The IE DOM is very nicely packaged for perusal at msdn. Is there a
website with a similarly user-friendly object-oriented construction for
the W3C DOM/CSS/ECMAScript Specs?
Jul 23 '05 #1
1 2550
John Doe wrote:
The IE DOM is very nicely packaged for perusal at msdn. Is there a
website with a similarly user-friendly object-oriented construction for
the W3C DOM/CSS/ECMAScript Specs?

"Similar" in terms of layout, no. But superior in terms of
conformance with standards, yes (links below).

I prefer the W3C site, you can download your own copy of the
specs and once you understand how they are set out, they are
easier to use than the MSDN site. With MSDN, I often end up
totally lost.

One of the most useful features of the W3C HTML spec is the
indexes of Elements and Attributes links at the bottom of the
TOC. It cross references everything on one page, so your
searches are not of a web site but just within a page - faster
than MSDN (and to me, easier to use).

Other issues with MSDN:

- Constant encouragement to use MS tools and proprietary
components when not required. Sure, they're a business but I
like to know when I'm writing MS-only code or binding myself
to MS's development or deployment platforms.

- they do not clearly differentiate between IE proprietary
and W3C compliant content, though there is a section that
details ECMA compliant and non-compliant parts of JScript

- sections like: "Summary of Browser Detection Techniques
(Professional ASP Techniques for Webmasters)" that appear
to promote bad programming practice (and take cheap shots at
other browsers)

- Editorial comment posing as fact: "Because Netscape believe
that they invented browsers..."

<URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnproweb/html/summaryofbrowserdetectiontechniques.asp>

- Really long URLs to resources... :-)
HTML 4:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/>

DOM 3:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/expanded-toc.html>

DOM 2:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/expanded-toc.html>

CSS:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/>

Links to current CSS specs are at the bottom of the page.

--
Rob
Jul 23 '05 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: viator | last post by:
Hello everybody. I am a student doing my masters in Comp. Sci. Will some explain to me why it seems completely two worlds when taking about DHTML in NN and IE. Is there any way to write truly...
by: Chris | last post by:
Can anyone help me on this one? I have a giant (couple thousand rows) HTML table. Im trying to modify some of the cells innerHTML and/or innerText, but it is taking a VERY long time to do so....
by: Thomas | last post by:
I am trying to produce a table dynamically when the user presses "add to queue". It works great in Mozilla, but it is formatted incorrectly in IE. What I meant by the checkbox was that it should be...
by: Chris Ryan | last post by:
Is there a way to change the displayed text on a web page using some combination of Javascript and DHTML? NOT in a text box. As far as I know (with my limited knowledge) the only way you can do...
by: mr_burns | last post by:
hi there, i would like a book that will explain concepts of javascript and dhtml instead of, for example, ten tutorials on how to do specific things in js or dhtml. ideally a book thats can...
by: Steve | last post by:
Hi; I have heard about a few very good books on DHTML, but the most modern ones seem to have been published in 2002. Have any _significant_ changes in DHTML or the standard DOM happened since...
by: pete | last post by:
Hello, I need resources for the following and would be appreciative to anyone that can help!!!! 1. a free website that clearly & comprehensively explains the DOM 2. a free website that has...
by: parksch2 | last post by:
Hi all, I'm having a hard time with the use of my DHTML menu and video on my site. The video is served using Windows Media Player. Short of hiding it, I can't seem to get my DHTML menu to appear...
by: bbass | last post by:
thanks to all that replyied to my previous post with the following code in question: <a href="merc.htm" target="_new_merc" onfocusout=window.close class="left_link"> i understand that the...
by: neoswf | last post by:
hey i want to show in my work that dhtml can do it also. (vs flash) i wish to find complicated dhtml sites, with interesting/great navigation bars/mechanizm and design i know its sounds alot to...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.