473,406 Members | 2,336 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,406 software developers and data experts.

SQL0418N error: Untyped parameter markers cannot be used in some cases???

Hi all,

In my application that is generated by Clarion an SQL0418N ("A statement
contains a use of a parameter marker that is not valid.") occurs. In the
explanation section it says "in some cases as the sole argument of a scalar
function". The parameter marker is used in the UCASE function.

Is this such "some case"??

The full error provided by Clarion's trace:

Preparing Statement 1ae2350 : SELECT A.LANDCODE, A.SOORTLAND, A.LANDNAAM,
A.LANDCODE_CBS FROM MUNTSYS.LANDEN A WHERE {fn UCASE( A.LANDCODE)} >= {fn
UCASE(?)} ORDER BY {fn UCASE( A.LANDCODE)} Time Taken:0.00 secs
Setting number of rows to fetch to 20 for Statement 1ae2350 Time Taken:0.00
secs
Binding Column 1 to C type CHAR for Statement 1ae2350 Time Taken:0.00 secs
Binding Column 2 to C type UTINYINT for Statement 1ae2350 Time Taken:0.00
secs
Binding Column 3 to C type CHAR for Statement 1ae2350 Time Taken:0.00 secs
Binding Column 4 to C type SSHORT for Statement 1ae2350 Time Taken:0.00 secs
Binding ? 1 for input with C type CHAR as 1 for Statement 1ae2350 Time
Taken:0.00 secs
Executing prepared Statement 1ae2350
Error Occurred: 42610[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/LINUX] SQL0418N A statement
contains a use of a parameter marker that is not valid. SQLSTATE=42610
--
Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.***********@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl
Nov 12 '05 #1
1 14184
The problem is in UCASE(?). If you read the rules for function resolution in
the SQL Reference, you'll see that they are very sensitive to the data
types of the parameters. Unfortunately, a parameter marker doesn't have a
type when it is precompiled, so DB2 doesn't know what type to use and you
get the error.

The solution is to use a CAST around the parameter marker to tell DB2 what
type to expact. For example:
UCASE(CAST(? AS CHAR(10))
UCASE(CAST(? AS VARCHAR(50))
The Db2 knows what type to use for the parameter marker and the function can
be properly resolved.

Note that the type in the CAST and the actual type bound in to the parameter
marker do _not_ have to be identical - they just have to be compatible. So,
if I have UCASE(CAST(? AS VARCHAR(50)), I can bind in a VARCHAR(50) or a
CHAR(10) or any other type that is compatible with a VARCHAR(50). If I try
to bind in a VARCHAR(51), however, I'll get a string too long error.

Hope this helps.

--
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Doug Doole
DB2 Universal Database Development
IBM Toronto Lab

Visit the DB2 UDB and DB2 Connect Online Support site at:
http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2...s2unix/support
Nov 12 '05 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Steven T. Hatton | last post by:
Some people have suggested the desire for code completion and refined edit-time error detection are an indication of incompetence on the part of the programmer who wants such features. ...
by: Mike | last post by:
Envirnoment is UDB 7.2 fp9 on AIX. I'm familiar with using "dynexpln" for quickly comparing access plans for directly executable queries. dynexpln docs suggest it cannot work with sql that...
by: Amaryllis | last post by:
I'm trying to call a CL which is located on our AS400 from a Windows application. I've tried to code it in different ways, but I seem to get the same error every time. Does anyone have any clue...
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
in March, i posted a essay “What is Expressiveness in a Computer Language”, archived at: http://xahlee.org/perl-python/what_is_expresiveness.html I was informed then that there is a academic...
by: Jim | last post by:
Hello, I'm trying to write exception-handling code that is OK in the presence of unicode error messages. I seem to have gotten all mixed up and I'd appreciate any un-mixing that anyone can...
by: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Gregor_Kova=E8?= | last post by:
Hi! Is it possible to use parameter markers like this: 1.) SELECT * FROM TABLE1 WHERE FIELD1 LIKE '%?%' If I now set parameter 1 to '' (empty string) I don't get any rows back, but if I run:...
by: PaulR | last post by:
Hi, (DB2 LUW v8.2) When using parameter markers how does the optimizer evaluate filter factors? - and is it able to make use of distribution stats. for parm. markers? The reason I ask, is...
by: Sheldon | last post by:
Hi, I have a unique case where I need an array of structs that grows and within this array is another struct that grows in some cases. I'm having trouble allocating memory. Since I have never...
by: Nike1984 | last post by:
I'm fairly new to Javascript and it's more of a guessing game for me... I'm trying to build an app for Google Maps and just had some issues recently. First off I just wanted to say that everything...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development projectplanning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.