473,413 Members | 1,875 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,413 software developers and data experts.

allocate an array

Hello everybody,

I've got a problem. I'm trying to allocate an array inside a function with
Parameter int n:
main(){
int i;
i = strlen(ch);
array(i);
}
int array ( int n ){
int a[n];
}
but when i compile:

error C2057: expected constant expression
error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
error C2133: 'a' : unknown size
how can i do now?
Thank u in advance for your afforts.
Nov 13 '05 #1
3 18734
Simon wrote:
Hello everybody,
int array ( int n ){
int a[n];
}
but when i compile:

error C2133: 'a' : unknown size

Perhaps because your compiler does not accept C99 ?
To my knowledge, this construction is in C99, but not
in C89.
Change your compiler, or use "malloc".

Marc Boyer
--
Lying for having sex or lying for making war? Trust US presidents :-(
Nov 13 '05 #2
Simon wrote:
I've got a problem. I'm trying to allocate an array inside a function with
Parameter int n:
main(){
int i;
i = strlen(ch);
array(i);
}
int array ( int n ){
int a[n];
}

You can't do that in (pre-99) C. Instead of allocating an array,
allocate some heap space (and remember to free it), eg:

int *a = malloc( n * sizeof (*a) );

Remember to #include <stdlib.h>.

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
C FAQs at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgrou...mp.lang.c.html
C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambl...me_to_clc.html
Nov 13 '05 #3
thanks a lot.

i got it

"Chris Dollin" <ke**@hpl.hp.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:be**********@murdoch.hpl.hp.com...
Simon wrote:
I've got a problem. I'm trying to allocate an array inside a function with Parameter int n:
main(){
int i;
i = strlen(ch);
array(i);
}
int array ( int n ){
int a[n];
}

You can't do that in (pre-99) C. Instead of allocating an array,
allocate some heap space (and remember to free it), eg:

int *a = malloc( n * sizeof (*a) );

Remember to #include <stdlib.h>.

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
C FAQs at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgrou...mp.lang.c.html
C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambl...me_to_clc.html

Nov 13 '05 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: M. Moennigmann | last post by:
Dear all: I would like to write a function that opens a file, reads and stores data into an 2d array, and passes that array back to the caller (=main). The size of the array is not known before...
by: bijax | last post by:
hi, i am new to multidimensional array of c programming .pls help me to solve out this how to allocate memory for mutidimensional array? i.e a ;
by: marora | last post by:
I have created class definition which contains a charater pointer as one of it's data memeber. The objective is to read some data from a file, and assign it to a data member; Size of data is...
by: xhunga | last post by:
I have try a new version of my work. I have put the sizes of the matrix into the matrix. A = number of rows A = number of columns The first element of the matrix is A instead of A. You...
by: valerio | last post by:
Hello all I would like to dinamically allocate an array of array of structures. To explain this: struct file{ char* fileName,int inode) myfiles; struct file{ char* fileName,int inode) mydirs; ...
by: trevor.farchild | last post by:
Hi, long time reader, first time poster I have an application that will be doing this 5 times a second: Get a bunch of data from a NetworkStream and convert it into a Bitmap Therefore, the...
by: hn.ft.pris | last post by:
Hi: I have the following simple program: #include<iostream> using namespace std; int main(int argc, char* argv){ const double L = 1.234; const int T = static_cast<const int>(L); int arr;
by: Samant.Trupti | last post by:
HI, I want to dynamically allocate array variable of type LPWSTR. Code looks like this... main() { LPWSTR *wstr; int count = Foo (wstr); for (int i = 0; i < count; i++) //print each...
by: Trups | last post by:
HI, I want to dynamically allocate array variable of type LPWSTR. Code looks like this... main() { LPWSTR *wstr; int count = Foo (wstr); for (int i = 0; i < count; i++)
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.