473,320 Members | 1,916 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

read from serial port in c

how to read from serial port with c on a linux server, the serail port is
connect to a card reader. The information will then be save in a postgre
database.

Thanks and regards

Robert Ngo
Nov 14 '05 #1
1 4085
Robert Ngo <ro*******@163.com> wrote:
how to read from serial port with c on a linux server, the serail port is
connect to a card reader. The information will then be save in a postgre
database.

Unless you treat the device file for the serial port like a normal file
you can't use the standard C functions like fopen(), fread() etc. -
and since they don't allow the fine grained control over what is going
on you will usually need Linux specific, nonstandard functions. But
these aren't discussed here but in e.g. comp.os.linux.development.apps
(but if you ask there it would probably be prudent to ask a question
and not only more or less state your intentions because otherwise your
chances of getting helpful relies won't be that good). Moreover, how to
deal with databases is also something for which no standard C functions
exist, again you will need some extensions which also are off-topic
here. Since I don't know about any newsgroup dealing with Postgresql
I guess reading a bit in

http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/Computin...rogrammer.html

(which was the first hit Google turned up for "postgres C library) might
get you started. As far as I can see there also seems to be a mailing
list devoted to the topic.
Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Je***********@physik.fu-berlin.de
\__________________________ http://www.toerring.de
Nov 14 '05 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: collinm | last post by:
hi i send a command to a led display, the led display is suppose to return me some character i write a string on a serial port void ledDisplayExist() { char msg={'\0', '\0', '\0', '\0',...
by: Tolgay Gül | last post by:
I need some codes that able to send and read data by serialport in VB.Net 2005 beta 2. I wrote some codes and It can send data via serialport but It cannot read what I send. I have looked up on...
by: Casey Bralla | last post by:
I'd like to read ASCII data from a serial port, but (once again) I'm having trouble getting started. (Can't seem to find the basic level of docs to get going <sigh>) I'd like to use only...
by: luca72 | last post by:
Hello at all sorry for my english but i'm Italian. I use pyserial to communicate via rs232 with an extarnal device called smartmouse. I write the exact line that i want , but when i read i read...
by: chenatcr | last post by:
Hello, I added a serial-USB converter to my laptop, it appear as USB serial port COM4, and I wrote an application to read 78k data from this port. In my VC++ express code, I defined...
by: rowan | last post by:
I'm writing a driver in Python for an old fashioned piece of serial equipment. Currently I'm using the USPP serial module. From what I can see all the serial modules seem to set the timeout when...
by: ghjk | last post by:
I want to read sms from GSM modem using C# in serial communication. I wrote the code. But i want to do it automatically. I put my code here and please tell me how can i do it automatically. ...
by: ghjk | last post by:
I'm write code to read data from GSM modem. but it couldn't read modem response. Could you please help me? I'll post my code. using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using...
by: mmrasheed | last post by:
Hi, I am newbie in python. I am working on Telit GM862 GPS/GPRS module which has python interpreter built in. But it seems this problem is pretty much related to general python structure. I...
by: rfarley | last post by:
Hi, I am using the pyserial module and am trying to read the serial port from an accelerometer (LIS302DL). It has an option in which you write "*debug\r\n" and then you read the data (three...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.