473,388 Members | 1,574 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,388 software developers and data experts.

Critical Section?

HiAll,

What would you suggest I use if I want to protect the creation of a
singleton - in the instance() static method. In C++, I'd use a critical
section.

Thanks,

--Ed

Nov 15 '05 #1
2 19703
say
lock(this)
{
create singleton here
}

Locking on this is bad though because some other thread could conceivably
lock on this creating a deadlock of sorts. But that will give you roughly
the equivalent of a critical section.
--
-----------
Got TidBits?
Get it here: www.networkip.net/tidbits
"Ed S" <esinek.mapson-a-t-mapson.summation.com> wrote in message
news:eP**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
HiAll,

section.

Thanks,

--Ed

Nov 15 '05 #2
Ed,
Here is a write up on how to write a Singleton in C#, complete with making
it thread safe.

http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/singleton.html

Hope this helps
Jay

"Ed S" <esinek.mapson-a-t-mapson.summation.com> wrote in message
news:eP**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
HiAll,

section.

Thanks,

--Ed

Nov 15 '05 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Brian Alexander | last post by:
Hello; I am trying to protect some global data, which may, in the future, be accessed by threads. I'm not sure how to implement a locking mechanism in python. Here is the idea I'm trying to...
by: asimeerza | last post by:
hi all i m developing web applicaiotn with vb+asp dot net. i ve many links at my page and i m also maintaining session. if the user of my applicaton clicks one link that sends request to the...
by: Xarky | last post by:
Hi, I am trying to learn Critical Sections. I have written a small program. Source code problem below. What the program is doing is disabling the CRTL-C signal in the critical section. My...
by: Piotrek Stachowicz | last post by:
Hi, I need to create the situation in my system, where no more critical sections can be initialized (win2000Server). I thought about creating a simple c# application and using the Monitor class....
by: MPH Computers | last post by:
Hi I am looking for some help on Threading and Critical Sections I have a main thread that controls an event the event handler creates a new thread for carrying out the work because the...
by: Christian | last post by:
I have a class named AccessClass to access a legacy system. In a webform i instanciate an AccessClass object named myAccess and i call a method : myAccess.accessmethod() I want to insure that no...
by: James Hunter Ross | last post by:
Friends, this is a longshot... Our app is done in ASP.NET/C# with calls to legacy DLLs that use MFC/ODBC to update the database. It's a legacy DB API that we must use. We're debugging an...
by: Harry Whitehouse | last post by:
Hi! I've been migrating some legacy ISAPI appliations to .NET Webservice. In one, I call a third party routine which is not thread safe. In the ISAPI world, I put a critical section around the...
by: =?Utf-8?B?VmFubmk=?= | last post by:
Hi, I have a component where I need to have thread-safe access to a list. Operations on the list are done in critical sections (lock (lockObject) { ... } ) in the usual way, to make sure that no...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.