473,412 Members | 4,957 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,412 software developers and data experts.

Calling DLLs from Python [Windows]

Hi all,

How can I call a function which is in a Windows DLL? For example,

import win32api
lib_hnd = win32api.LoadLibrary( "user32.dll" )
if lib_hnd:
fn_addr = win32api.GetProcAddress( lib_hnd, "MessageBeep" ) # returns int(2010532466)
if fn_addr:
# Here I'd like to call fn_addr. In C it would be plain fn_addr()
win32api.FreeLibrary( lib_hnd )

Google didn't help on this.

Thank you,
Georgy Pruss
E^mail: 'ZDAwMTEyMHQwMzMwQGhvdG1haWwuY29t\n'.decode('base6 4')
Jul 18 '05 #1
2 28385
"Georgy Pruss" <SE************@hotmail.com> writes:
ctypes is your friend
from ctypes import *

If you have t.dll exporting INCREMENT

# load dll
inc = windll.LoadLibrary("t.dll")

# Initiate c-variable for the dll
n=c_int(1)

# Call the dll one
inc.INCREMENT(byref(n))
print "The integer is now: %d" % n.value

# And a few times more:
for i in range(5):
inc.INCREMENT(byref(n))
print "The square of the integer is now: %d" % n.value**2

???????

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=Google+Search

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be
Jul 18 '05 #2

"Brian Elmegaard" <br***@rk-speed-rugby.dk> wrote in message news:un***********@mail.afm.dtu.dk...
"Georgy Pruss" <SE************@hotmail.com> writes:
ctypes is your friend

Thank you!
???????

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=Google+Search

Sure. The right question is half of the answer :)
Thanks!

Georgy.

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be

Jul 18 '05 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Todd Gardner | last post by:
Hello all, Pardon my ignorance here. I would like to talk to someone that has had success in calling ddls in Windows NT/2000/XP. I am wondering where to dload any of these packages? Google...
by: F. GEIGER | last post by:
I've dev'ed a Python prototype of an app, that besides the internals making it up has a gui. While test-driven dev'ing the app's internals in Python is fun as usual, dev'ing the GUI is not so...
by: Brian Elmegaard | last post by:
Hi, I can find a few questions regarding the use of distutils for making non-python windows installers, but none of them really helps. Are there any pointers on how to do this? Can it be done? ...
by: Dave.NET | last post by:
Hi all, I have the following question and hope the .NET experts here can help me: I developed an application and created many DLLs in VC++, then I switched the platform from VS6 and compile in...
by: kim d | last post by:
Hi, I'm looking to call a method of a class which is declared in a dll. I know it's not a simple case of calling dllImport because of the fact that classes are involved. Does anyone have an...
by: Shuaib | last post by:
Hi! I have a python script which returns an Integer value. How do I call this script from a C programe, and use the result returned? Thanks for your time.
by: notejam | last post by:
I am trying to get started with a interactive version of Python for windows and need some help. I have played with the tutorial, and now want to write a program. In basic language, I could write...
by: momobear | last post by:
I feel really puzzled about fellowing code, please help me finger out what problem here. import threading class workingthread(threading.Thread): def __init__(self): self.quitEvent =...
by: TheFlyingDutchman | last post by:
I am trying to install Python 2.5 on Windows XP. It installs into the root directory on C:\ instead of C:\Python25 which it shows by default as what it plans to install to. Selecting D:\Python25 on...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.