473,322 Members | 1,526 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,322 software developers and data experts.

Using math operator with generics

Hi,

The following code shows my problem:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
static class MyOp
{
public static T Sub<T>(T item1, T item2)
where T : struct
{
return item1-item2; // this is line 118
}
}

class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
Console.WriteLine(MyOp.Sub(2,3));
}
}
}

Build result:
Program.cs(118,17): error CS0019: Operator '-' cannot be applied to
operands of type 'T' and 'T'

What have I to add to 'where' to tell to the generic function that T
implements operator- ?

Another question: the C# built-in types (byte,int,double,...) have
associated the same set of operation {+,-,*,/}: are these types derived
from common interface?

TIA.
Marco.
Nov 17 '05 #1
2 13033
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:55:57 +0200, Marco Segurini
<ma***********@virgilio.it> wrote:
implements operator- ?
You can't do that. There is no operator constraint in C# 2.0.
from common interface?

They are not. There have been a few threads on this subject before,
and the conclusion was that it is impossible to perform any of the
built-in mathematical operations on generic types.

If you want to write a class that works on different numeric types you
have to it the old-fashioned way -- provide strongly-typed overloads
for each version. Generics are no help here, unfortunately.
--
http://www.kynosarges.de
Nov 17 '05 #2
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:55:57 +0200, Marco Segurini
<ma***********@virgilio.it> wrote:

implements operator- ?

from common interface?

Unfortunally operators can't belong to interfaces so there is no
direct way of doing it. If you still want/need it, there is an
excellent article that describes how to work around the problem. It
can be found at

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/genericnumerics.asp

--
Marcus Andrén
Nov 17 '05 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: praba kar | last post by:
Dear all, In Php array_slice function base we can print array contents as per our desire eg) $a = array(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15); $arr = array_slice($a,10,10); this function...
by: William Gill | last post by:
I am using the % operator to create queries for a db app. It works fine when exact strings, or numbers are used, but some queries need partial matching that use the '%' as a wildcards. So for...
by: Tony Johansson | last post by:
Hello Experts! Assume I have a class called SphereClass as the base class and a class called BallClass that is derived from the SphereClass. The copy constructor initialize the left hand object...
by: Pawel | last post by:
How do you use a (pow) statement in visual c++.net 2003 standard edition? I want to calculate something and then display it to the user. But in a windows based enviornment not dos. What do you...
by: mjdeesh_hi | last post by:
How can we perfom multiplication programatically without using + or * operator. Can any one help out in this one. Jagadeesh.
by: krypto.wizard | last post by:
Last month I appeared for an interview with EA sports and they asked me this question. How would you divide a number by 7 without using division operator ? I did by doing a subtraction and...
by: KK | last post by:
Dear All I have a small problem with using as operator on value type array. Here is an example what I am trying to do. using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Text;
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.