473,414 Members | 1,876 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,414 software developers and data experts.

Setting the SelectedIndex of a DropDownList in a Datagrid

Hi There,

I have two datagrids on a webform both of which display DropDownLists when
edit mode is invoked.

That being said, does anyone have a generic or straightforward way in C# so
that when I go into the edit mode of a row, the dropdownlists display the
field values of that row? (They currently jump to the first value in the
dropdownlist)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,

_K.

Nov 18 '05 #1
4 3573
K Bryan wrote:
Hi There,

edit mode is invoked.

That being said, does anyone have a generic or straightforward way in C# so
that when I go into the edit mode of a row, the dropdownlists display the
dropdownlist)

_K.

grab the dropdown list from the datagrid

something like

for each item in DataGrid1.Items
dim ddl as DropDownList = item.FindControl("DropDownList1")
ddl.selectedItemIndex = MyIndexValue
next

remember to do it after databinding has been done, and not in Item_create

you can do it at Item_DataBound,
should work

hth
-ashish
Nov 18 '05 #2
You need to find the ddl in the collection of controls.
So you do something like this.
DropDownList ddl = (DropDownList) e.Item.FindControl("lstID");

then select the correct item as required

A
"K Bryan" <Ke***********@campi.org> wrote in message
news:ex**************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Hi There,

edit mode is invoked.

That being said, does anyone have a generic or straightforward way in C# so that when I go into the edit mode of a row, the dropdownlists display the
dropdownlist)

_K.

Nov 18 '05 #3
Thanks for the reply.

Where would I put this code? What event?

"Andrew de la Harpe" <an*********@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:u8****************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

A
Hi There,

I have two datagrids on a webform both of which display DropDownLists when edit mode is invoked.

That being said, does anyone have a generic or straightforward way in C#

so
that when I go into the edit mode of a row, the dropdownlists display the field values of that row? (They currently jump to the first value in the
dropdownlist)

_K.

Nov 18 '05 #4
In the OnDataBound event for the grid.
Heres as example.
private void setDataBinding(object sender,
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs e)

{
ListItemType lit = e.Item.ItemType;

if(lit == ListItemType.EditItem)

{

DataRowView drv = (DataRowView) e.Item.DataItem;

DropDownList dll = (DropDownList) e.Item.FindControl("lstLaterability");

etc..

}

}

news:uH*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Thanks for the reply.

Where would I put this code? What event?

"Andrew de la Harpe" <an*********@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:u8****************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

A
Hi There,

I have two datagrids on a webform both of which display DropDownLists when edit mode is invoked.

That being said, does anyone have a generic or straightforward way in C#
so
that when I go into the edit mode of a row, the dropdownlists display the field values of that row? (They currently jump to the first value in

the dropdownlist)

_K.

Nov 18 '05 #5

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.