473,320 Members | 2,161 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

how to set timeout?

Hi, this is a follow-up to my previous post. I've got a long-running function
exposed as a web service. It can take up to 3 or 4 minutes to complete
(rendering a 300 page pdf from xsl-fo). I have the asp script timeout for the
web app the service runs as set to 600 seconds. I have the timeout for the
webservice on the consuming end set to the same. I still get a timeout error,
however. The response that comes from the webservice is an asp error page
saying "Request Timed Out". I do NOT get this error when the project is
compiled with debugging. Is there some timeout setting that I'm missing? Can
anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks
Nov 23 '05 #1
2 31895
There are two places you may have to change:

1. Change the ASP.NET timeout, not ASP one:

http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/18803

This is the most likely culprit of your errors

2. Use the Timeout property of your proxy class to set the proper time on
the client.

WebReference.ProxyClass myProxy = new WebReference.ProxyClass();
// Set the timeout in milliseconds -- e.g. 100 seconds
myProxy.Timeout = 100000;

Hope that helps.
--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire
www.dotnetwire.com
"peterlan" <pe******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
Hi, this is a follow-up to my previous post. I've got a long-running function exposed as a web service. It can take up to 3 or 4 minutes to complete
(rendering a 300 page pdf from xsl-fo). I have the asp script timeout for the web app the service runs as set to 600 seconds. I have the timeout for the
webservice on the consuming end set to the same. I still get a timeout error, however. The response that comes from the webservice is an asp error page
compiled with debugging. Is there some timeout setting that I'm missing? Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks

Nov 23 '05 #2
That was it. Thanks!

"Manohar Kamath" wrote:
There are two places you may have to change:

1. Change the ASP.NET timeout, not ASP one:

http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/18803

This is the most likely culprit of your errors

2. Use the Timeout property of your proxy class to set the proper time on
the client.

WebReference.ProxyClass myProxy = new WebReference.ProxyClass();
// Set the timeout in milliseconds -- e.g. 100 seconds
myProxy.Timeout = 100000;

Hope that helps.
--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire
www.dotnetwire.com
"peterlan" <pe******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
Hi, this is a follow-up to my previous post. I've got a long-running

function
exposed as a web service. It can take up to 3 or 4 minutes to complete
(rendering a 300 page pdf from xsl-fo). I have the asp script timeout for

the
web app the service runs as set to 600 seconds. I have the timeout for the
webservice on the consuming end set to the same. I still get a timeout

error,
however. The response that comes from the webservice is an asp error page
compiled with debugging. Is there some timeout setting that I'm missing?

Can
anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks

Nov 23 '05 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: E Sullivan | last post by:
I am having a time out issue when multiple users are accessing the server. This time out does not happen all of the time. My understanding is that the time out value is actually set in two places....
by: Geigho | last post by:
Setting session timeout in web.config file does not seem to have any effect. Any explanation or suggestion will be appreciated.
by: Greg Decos | last post by:
I am using forms authentication using a FormsAuthenticationTickets set to expire in 30 minutes and the ticket is added to the collection of cookies. I am not sure where the following values are...
by: DavidS | last post by:
First: There are several ways to confuse one regarding session timeout. (1) web.config - <sessionState timeout="20"> (2) IIS Manager | Internet Information Services | ServerNode | Default Web Site...
by: jensen bredal | last post by:
Hello, i'm struggling with a somehow badly understood session scenario. I provide acces to my pages based on form authentication using Session cookies. Som of my pages are supposed to be...
by: UJ | last post by:
I have a page where the user can upload a video file. As you can guess, this may take a while. Is there a way I can change the session timeout for just this one page? I would also want to change...
by: Nick Craig-Wood | last post by:
Did anyone write a contextmanager implementing a timeout for python2.5? I'd love to be able to write something like with timeout(5.0) as exceeded: some_long_running_stuff() if exceeded:...
by: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?= | last post by:
I tried: <sessionState timeout="1"> </sessionState> bounced IIS, and after 1 minute still had a session. ??? -- thanks - dave
by: Masso | last post by:
Hallo to the group, my question is this: where i have to set timeout in a web application? If i set into sessionState with property Timeout="60", after 20 minutes the session is over. Always...
by: JimLad | last post by:
Hi, I've got a very basic asp.net page that accesses a very slow db query and siplays to screen. I'm hitting a timeout aftre about 3.5 to 4.5 minutes - seems to be variable. SQL connection...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.