473,408 Members | 1,749 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

Sage php mysql integration via XML..... Fun!

I currently have Sage MAS200 SQL (with eBusiness and full support) and looking to launch a consumer ecommerce site. I also have an old website (we took it offline to focus on distribution) written in ASP. The site is from 1998. We now want to launch a new site. I was thinking of running the whole consumer site on PHP/MySQL, but willing to consider ASP.NET. I have the following questions:

1) What is the best way to integrate the MAS200 SQL database with PHP?

I want to be able to update the online database with current inventory and to be able to transfer order information from the online database to MAS200. Basically, I want to use SAGE as our backend. Currently, we use Starship for shipping. Sage really only needs the basic info (like the item, how many of the item and where the item is going) with the rest of the info (like customer tracking and item information) will stay on the the MySQL.

2) Is it worth using the old ASP site or should I just look to reprogram the whole thing?

Thanks,
Casey

You can look at our wholesale site at www.prolificart.com. It is run using Sage's eBusiness.

------------------------
General MAS200 info
http://www.sagesoftware.com/mas90/
ProvideX ODBC
http://www.pvx.com/
eBusiness
http://www.sagesoftware.com/products...null/product/2
Jan 16 '06 #1
8 13038
Niheel
2,460 Expert Mod 2GB
I don't know much about Sage. Could you help me understand it by answering the questions below?

Sage isn't a database in itself is it? Is it just an application platform based on SQL Server right?
Jan 16 '06 #2
cdo4
Sage is an ERP. We have it set up on a SQL server locally. I do NOT want to host the commerce site locally (we get knocked offline a lot.) In fact, I want the ecommerce site to have as little to do with Sage as possible.

I don't know much about Sage. Could you help me understand it by answering the questions below?

Sage isn't a database in itself is it? Is it just an application platform based on SQL Server right?
Jan 16 '06 #3
Niheel
2,460 Expert Mod 2GB
Alright I get what you are trying to do:

Basically you want MySQL/PHP to run your ecommerce site, and then have the basic info (like the item, how many of the item and where the item is going) sent to SAGE via PHP. Right?

It can be done.

The solution i would use is setup a secure server (https) with certificate. Everytime a transaction is completed on the ecommerce site, have it create an xml file with the item ordered, quantity, and delivery address and store it on that secure encrypted (https://www.yourstore.com/orders/recentorders.xml). From your local server ping that xml file every 1-2 hrs(time really depends on your needs) grab the latest info and submit into the SQL SQL server database running your ERP.

Does this answer your question? It's a simple solution using XML instead of direct interfacing.
Jan 16 '06 #4
cdo4
Alright I get what you are trying to do:

Basically you want MySQL/PHP to run your ecommerce site, and then have the basic info (like the item, how many of the item and where the item is going) sent to SAGE via PHP. Right?
Exactly, I want to figure out a way to NOT use SAGE for ecommerce programming. It's good at accounting, but....

It can be done.

The solution i would use is setup a secure server (https) with certificate. Everytime a transaction is completed on the ecommerce site, have it create an xml file with the item ordered, quantity, and delivery address and store it on that secure encrypted (https://www.yourstore.com/orders/recentorders.xml). From your local server ping that xml file every 1-2 hrs(time really depends on your needs) grab the latest info and submit into the SQL SQL server database running your ERP.

Does this answer your question? It's a simple solution using XML instead of direct interfacing.
Thank you! That sounds perfect. Almost too easy. I sent my proposal to a couple of development firms and they were terrified of the MAS200 interfacing. Maybe I just wasn't all that clear.

Two more questions. Could I do the opposite (say I wanted to update the qty on the site)? And could I get the info as a batch (say all orders on Sat)?
Jan 16 '06 #5
Niheel
2,460 Expert Mod 2GB
I don't see why you couldn't get the orders as a batch.

On the other question regarding updating quantity. There are one of two ways of doing it.
  • Manually
    • Create an interface in the ecommerce software (it should already have this) that allows you to update quantity.
  • Automatically
    • If you have a dedicated ip/domain on the net that resolves to your ERP solution server. You could setup a webserver on it and do the same thing in reverse with the xml files and php code(ecommerce site requests ERP server for quantity information).
    • Otherwise with some simple php code on your local host you can create an xml file with updated quantity information and upload it via php's ftp functions to your ecommerce server/site. Very doable, and easy.
Make sure your connections are secure and encrypted.
Jan 16 '06 #6
cdo4
I wanted to get everyone's feedback on whether this made sense.
(See attached database.pdf)

Thanks,
Casey
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Database.pdf (14.1 KB, 1638 views)
Jan 19 '06 #7
Niheel
2,460 Expert Mod 2GB
You did an excellent job with the diagram. I am Impressed.
Jan 19 '06 #8
You did an excellent job with the diagram. I am Impressed.
hi, you can buy a couple of sage ready ecommerce carts with product csv upload and xml download. you can upload your stock data and download SOP's based on website orders.

see:
this is a developer using oscommerce to link to sage:
www.ibexinternet.co.uk/sage-integration.html

this is a sage enabled shopping cart:
www.actinic.co.uk/products/link.htm
Sep 24 '06 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.