473,408 Members | 1,741 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

What tpes to use for char array?

This is from something I wrote 15 years ago.

Haven't use c since then

Wanted to use it now so I cut and pasted into VS2005 on WinXP

Now I can't seem to get the types OK

GetModuleFileName requires LPWCH for szModulePath

What are the compatible types??

Thanks

char szModulePath[SIZE_OF_PATH];

GetModuleFileName(happThisInstance, szModulePath, sizeof(szModulePath));
//Remove the FileName from the full pathname

PSTR pstr = szModulePath + lstrlen(szModulePath) - 1;

//note: '\\' is the character \ The first \ is a c language escape character

while ((*pstr != '\\') && (*pstr != ':') && (pstr >= szModulePath)) pstr--;

pstr++;

*pstr=(char)0;
Feb 17 '06 #1
2 3553
>GetModuleFileName requires LPWCH for szModulePath

You could use TCHAR - which is a wide (16-bit) character in a Unicode
build, or a char in a non-Unicode build.

Your existing code should work relatively easily if you change the
(default) setting of your new VS2005 project from Unicode.

Dave
Feb 17 '06 #2
> This is from something I wrote 15 years ago.

Haven't use c since then

Wanted to use it now so I cut and pasted into VS2005 on WinXP

Now I can't seem to get the types OK

GetModuleFileName requires LPWCH for szModulePath

VS2005 has the unicode character set as its default, which is not compatible
with your usage of CHAR*
To solve your problem you have to revert the character set to ASCII.
you do that by setting the 'character set' property in your general project
properties to 'not set'.

Note: if you use precompiled headers, you have to make sure that it is
recompiled after your change, otherwise the compiler will still see the
unicode definition of GetModuleFileName.

--

Kind regards,
Bruno.
br**********************@hotmail.com
Remove only "_nos_pam"
Feb 17 '06 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: cppaddict | last post by:
I thought that: char x; made x into a pointer-to-char. But how come the following code won't compile: int main() { char pbuf;
by: FroxX | last post by:
Hi all, i have a question. What does those ** mean??? For example: void function(Something **pSomething); I hope someone can help me about it. Thanks,
by: Matt | last post by:
Hi, I have a probelm here: If I declare: char *p="Hello";
by: damian birchler | last post by:
Hi I'm wondering of what type a structure is. Of course, it is a _structure_, but an array isn't an _array_ either. So of what type is a structure? I'd say a pointer, am I right?
by: chellappa | last post by:
hi , please explain me , char pointer , char Array, char ,string... i have some many confussion about this... please clarify to me.. i need some example about this program by chellappa.ns
by: sherifffruitfly | last post by:
Hi, I'm just learning cpp, and the exercise I'm working on is basically as follows: 1) Create a struct type with 4 members (char, char, char, int). 2) Create an array of, say 3 instances of...
by: Omats.Z | last post by:
what is meaning os "char **option meet"? I get a function like this: __________________________________ int getchoice(char *greet, char *choices) { int chosen = 0; int selected; char **option;...
by: Bobrick | last post by:
Hi. I'm in the process of making a GUI for a function someone else wrote, and i've come across a type i'm unfamiliar with, namely "std::vector<unsigned char>". I need to get the contents of this...
by: chutsu | last post by:
I got errors: qu2-1.c:66: warning: format '%s' expects type 'char *', but argument 2 has type 'char (*)' qu2-1.c:72: warning: format '%s' expects type 'char *', but argument 2 has type 'char (*)'...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.