473,387 Members | 1,702 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,387 software developers and data experts.

Undo last statement

Is there anyway in SQL Server to rollback an SQL statement which was
already executed. I know there is a transaction log but what it
contains and how it works is still a mystery to me.
Assuming I delete all records from a table - can I somehow undo this?

Apr 20 '06 #1
5 32074
If you donīt have a transaction scope defined around the command:

BEGIN TRANSACTOON
DELETE FROM SomeTable
ROLLBACK --THis does a rollback

...you canīt. You will need to restore your data from a backup.

HTH, jens Suessmeyer.

---
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
---

Apr 20 '06 #2
So I gathered... So now I ask this question to the empty universe:
Why the heck does SQL Server maintain a transaction log and all the
headaches which go along with it if it can't even be read or used
without 3rd party tools?!?

Apr 20 '06 #3
The log is the transactional heart of SQL Server. It guarantees
concistency over multiple transactions. If you donīt open a dedicated
one, the transaction you are working in is implicit, so every statement
that you issue will be executed right on hand. If you have a
transactional backup of your database you can do a point-in-time
recovery depending on your recovery model.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
---

Apr 20 '06 #4
On 20 Apr 2006 13:11:20 -0700, Jack wrote:
So I gathered... So now I ask this question to the empty universe:
Why the heck does SQL Server maintain a transaction log and all the
headaches which go along with it if it can't even be read or used
without 3rd party tools?!?

Hi Jack,

Of the top of my head:

1. To roll back a change if you DID remember to put a BEGIN TRAN first,
2. To restore a database after an unexpected shutdown,
3. To allow point in time restore,
4. For log shipping.

I've probably forgotten a few as well :-)

--
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Apr 20 '06 #5
Jack (ca*****@gmail.com) writes:
Is there anyway in SQL Server to rollback an SQL statement which was
already executed. I know there is a transaction log but what it
contains and how it works is still a mystery to me.
Assuming I delete all records from a table - can I somehow undo this?

Two options:

1) Use a third-party tool that is able to read the transaction log
and construct undo batches from it. Two such products are
Lumigent Log Explorer and Log PI.

2) a) Make a note of when the fatal error occurred. b) Backup the
transaction log. c) Restore the last full backup with norecovery.
d) Apply transaction log dumps with a STOPAT just before the
fatal DELETE was done.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Apr 20 '06 #6

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Jeremy Morton | last post by:
Probably been mentioned before but I fail to see why Perl changed the 'break' keyword to 'last', in loops. Bear with me on this - it seems semantically more accurate to say 'break' - you're...
by: Jim Jawn | last post by:
I have done the beyond foolish... I accidentally clicked the DROP button on phpadmin for the horde database that runs our schools email server. I am in a world of hurt if I can't undo this...
by: Guru | last post by:
Hi I have a table which contains number of rows. I want to fetch the last 5 records from the table. I know for the first 'n' records we can use FETCH FIRST n ROWS ONLY command. But i want to...
by: Rhino | last post by:
Is there some kind of requirement that a DECLARE CONTINUE HANDLER statement follow the DECLARE CURSOR statement in an SQL stored procedure? I am running DB2 V8.2.1 on Windows XP and am writing my...
by: Lyn | last post by:
Hi, I have a text control on a form which is bound to table field StartDate which is in Date format. When updating the table record via the form, any data entered into the StartDate control is...
by: Shriphani | last post by:
Hello all, Let us say I have a function like this: def efficientFiller(file): worthless_list = pot_file = open(file,'r') pot_file_text = pot_file.readlines() for line in pot_file_text: if...
by: florian.loitsch | last post by:
According to the spec Section 14 the production SourceElements:SourceElements SourceElement is evaluated as follows: 1. Evaluate SourceElements. 2. If Result(1) is an abrupt completion, return...
by: Alex Bryan | last post by:
Okay, so i don't really understand the Yield thing and i know it is useful. I've read a few things about it but it is all programming jargon and so basically it is hard for me to understand. So can...
by: kimchu | last post by:
Please give me the exact query i will used to undo my last statement in sql. thanks
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.