473,411 Members | 2,210 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,411 software developers and data experts.

MySQL dynamic table name within query

Is it possible to have a dynamic table name within a query or a table
name that is a variable? This does not work but gives an example:

SELECT * FROM concat('table', 'name')
- OR -

SET @table = 'a';
SELCT * FROM @table

Of course the query can be constructed dynamically but does not exactly
fit the needs. The situation is very complicated and would just be
confusing to discuss here so please do not offer suggestions on how to
construct the query programically as that will not work for this
situation.

Thanks

May 16 '06 #1
3 52277
<ry******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@v46g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
name that is a variable?
No!
This does not work but gives an example:

- OR -

SET @table = 'a';
SELCT * FROM @table

situation.

Thanks

May 16 '06 #2
ry******@yahoo.com wrote:
situation.

Table names, column names, etc. cannot be dynamic in the way you
describe. This is not permitted by the SQL language, for many reasons.

For instance, there would be no way for the query optimizer to decide
which index(es) to use, if it doesn't know at parse time which tables
and columns are being queried.

Find another way to solve your problem.

Regards,
Bill K.
May 16 '06 #3
Actually, it is possible. What you need to do is first create a variable that will contain the name of your table, then put that into the sql statement, except don't put the variable within single quotes:

$dynamic_table_name = "table"; (of course, this is where you would make it dynamic)

then, unlike the usual method of putting varibles in mysql statements - '$dynamic_table_name' - leave off the single quotes (') and just put
$dynamic_table_name, i.e. "select * from $dynamic_table_name......

name that is a variable? This does not work but gives an example:

- OR -

SET @table = 'a';
SELCT * FROM @table

situation.

Thanks
Jun 6 '06 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Gordon | last post by:
I have 2 tables t and t1. In this case, t1 is a copy of t. I want to delete rows from t1 based on criteria on the t table and a relationship between t ad t1 (in this case the id column). In the...
by: Martin Feuersteiner | last post by:
Hi I'm grateful for any light you can shed on this!! I've to admit, it's an unusual design but I've multiple contact tables named e.g. i2b_ash_contact or i2b_ted_contact. 'i2b_' and...
by: phillip.s.powell | last post by:
$sql = "SELECT IF((SHOW TABLES LIKE '$subselectTableName'), count(*), NULL) AS numRows FROM $subselectTableName"; I am trying to write a SQL statement that will tell me if a table exists or not,...
by: larry777 | last post by:
Greetings, I'm a Php newbie and am developing a photo album site and have the basic framework in place with user registration, login, and then a page that you can upload images to MySql and those...
by: kennthompson | last post by:
Trouble passing mysql table name in php. If I use an existing table name already defined everything works fine as the following script illustrates. <?php function fms_get_info() { $result =...
by: kalyson | last post by:
Hello, I realize that using the TYPE declaration for variables makes their definitions more dynamic, like this: myField tablename.name%TYPE; myRow tablename%ROWTYPE; ...
by: ArizonaJohn | last post by:
Hello, Below I have some Ajax and the page it points to. This code works great if $_SESSION has no spaces in it (for example, if it is "elpaso"). However, if $_SESSION has a space in it (for...
SBCUser666
by: SBCUser666 | last post by:
I have an Access 2003 query that does a SELECT.. INTO table_name. I would like the table_name to be a fixed value plus todays date. Example: tbl_EXTRACT_070709 Can this be done?
by: smanif1 | last post by:
Report_Name_Final = "TABLENAME" DIM mySQL1 mySQL1 = "SELECT * FROM " mySQL1 = replace(mySQL1,"",Request.Form("Report_Name_Final")) response.write objRS1("Value") trying to get dynamic...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.