473,326 Members | 2,337 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,326 software developers and data experts.

File MetaData (Summary)

G'Day

I'm trying to develop an application to manage my .pdf and .chm files. To do
so, I want to access (read/write) the Metadata of the files, like
File->Properties->Summary in the Windows explorer.

I already searched for solutions, but honestly I'm a bit lost... does
somebody knows an 'idiots guide' for that problem or perhaps some C# lines of
demo code?!

Cheers
Jun 6 '06 #1
3 9191
I'm also looking for this information. If you happen to figure this
out, post it here for the rest of us, please.

Lee Crabtree

AlexL wrote:
G'Day

demo code?!

Cheers

Jun 8 '06 #2
I'm not sure about how this information is stored in other file types,
but this thread details how to do so with JPEGs.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...244e3779de7a35

Hope this helps!

Brant Estes
Magenic Technologies

Jun 8 '06 #3
Alright, after several days of tireless translation, I've figured out
how this stuff works.

The basic rundown is as follows:

The metadata you're looking for is actually made possible by the NTFS
filesystem. That is, if you try to find these properties on a
FAT32-formatted drive, you come up empty-handed.

There isn't an assembly in the .NET canon directly responsible for
accessing those properties, but it is possible to get at them via a
couple of COM interfaces, namely IPropertyStorage and
IPropertySetStorage. After some searching through the back alleys of
the 'net, I found some VB .NET code that had been written to do exactly
what I was searching for. I have since found a multitude of new reasons
to hate Visual Basic, and despise the coding practices that seem to
cling to it like a diseased remora.

Ahem.

I don't have a place to upload the code here, but if you'd like to email
me at lcrabtree AT goisi DOT com, I'd be happy to provide what I've got.

Lee Crabtree

AlexL wrote:
G'Day

demo code?!

Cheers

Jun 12 '06 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Denrael | last post by:
I am looking for a way in Python to update Windows File Summary Metadata. By that I mean the data (Title, Subject, Keywords, Comments) found when you right click a windows file, select properties...
by: Patrick Conway | last post by:
Hi! I'm building a Windows form that allows users to view a list of files (and their properties(metadata)) stored in a certain directory. All of the files in the directory are a result of a...
by: Rosenfeld Yonatan | last post by:
hi , i am searching a way to change the summary title , subject or any other properties, and i not founding anything in the File class or the FileInfo class. how can i change this properties. ...
by: Ram [MSFT] | last post by:
Hi All, I'm trying to programatically (using c#) read the file properties (Title, Summary, Author, Comments etc.... The stuff that shows up on the Summary tab when you see the properties of a...
by: Brian Henry | last post by:
Is there anyway to get a thumbnail of a file similar to the way explorer does that can be used in an application? I want to for example if i drag a file over a picture box, if it has the ability to...
by: Michael A. Covington | last post by:
When you right-click on a file in Windows and choose Summary, Advanced, you get a set of properties which (in the case of a digital camera photo) tell you quite a bit about the picture. In some...
by: Anubhav Jain | last post by:
Hi, I am having few .net source files(.cs or .vb) and I want to dynamically generate the corresponding .net project file(.csproj or .vbproj) for them without using visual studio.So that I could...
by: forest demon | last post by:
for example, let's say I do something like, System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("notepad.exe","sample.txt"); if the user does a SaveAs (in notepad), how can i capture the path that the user...
by: JDeats | last post by:
I have a binary file (zip file) that's being created by my app and I would like to store a comma delimited list of items contained in that file (e.g. the .zip file contains 5 large TIFF images and...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
isladogs
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.