473,320 Members | 1,691 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

Static fields and Serialization

I'm trying to understand why static fields are not serializable in
general. Is it purely because of implementation reasons or because it
does not make sense to do this?

Jun 27 '06 #1
2 8516
antoan <an****@antoan.plus.com> wrote:

Serialization persists the state of a single object. Static fields are
not part of the state of an object - they're effectively the state of
the type.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Jun 27 '06 #2
Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:
antoan <an****@antoan.plus.com> wrote:

Serialization persists the state of a single object. Static fields are
not part of the state of an object - they're effectively the state of
the type.

Thanks Jon, exactly what I was looking for.

A
Jun 28 '06 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Nolan Martin | last post by:
is a static functions address constant? ie.. static void func(); write_to_file(&func); Restart program... static void func(); void (*funcPtr) ();
by: Sharon | last post by:
I’m trying to build a generic Publisher-Subscriber that will work over the net, so I’m using the Remoting. I wish that the subscriber user will be notify about the messages sent by the...
by: Alexander | last post by:
Hi all I has Component inside ASP.NET page that create CO object and store reference to it in the Component's privat static field. Then I cast this reference to desired interfac and call...
by: rwf_20 | last post by:
I just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone smarter than me has a suggestion/workaround: Problem: I have a classic producer/consumer system which accepts 'commands' from a socket and...
by: Jesper Schmidt | last post by:
When does CLR performs initialization of static variables in a class library? (1) when the class library is loaded (2) when a static variable is first referenced (3) when... It seems that...
by: Steffen Bobek | last post by:
Extension methods are made for use with instances. I'd like to "misuse" them as static methods, too. Let me tell you my ambition: I use an extension method to serialize objects somehow like this:...
by: steve | last post by:
If I have an object I know I can get the name of the class but can I get the class name in the following scenario : public class ParentClass { public static string ClassName { get { return...
by: =?Utf-8?B?RXRoYW4gU3RyYXVzcw==?= | last post by:
Hi, I am using XML serialization for the first time and I have noticed something unexpected. The object I am serializing contains a field private NumericSettings _numericSettings; public...
KevinADC
by: KevinADC | last post by:
This snippet of code provides several examples of programming techniques that can be applied to most programs. using hashes to create unique results static variable recursive function...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.