473,320 Members | 1,945 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

Saving datatable on client PC

Hi,

I want to make a backup of some data from an SQL server. The backup should
be saved as an Excell file (or similar, csv or xml...)
So I create a datatable and select the data from SQL server and manipulate
it a bit. No problem.

But how do I save it on the Client PC ?
Do I have to go through an intermediary step of saving it on the server and
then transferring the file (somehow) and deleting the file on the server.

Any help and samples appreciated,

/jim
Jul 14 '06 #1
1 1688
Hi Jim,

As you know, you'll run into a security mess trying to save a file to the
client PC automatically. You could prompt the user to download the content
but that's a pain each time.

How about an alternate method? Get the data out of SQL Server and
automatically email the XML file to a user (or special backup account). If
it's small, it won't be too much to handle.

You could probably create all the content as in-memory streams so you don't
need to go through the hassle of deleting files.

Just an idea...

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Jim Andersen" <no****@nospam.dkwrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Hi,

I want to make a backup of some data from an SQL server. The backup should
be saved as an Excell file (or similar, csv or xml...)
So I create a datatable and select the data from SQL server and manipulate
it a bit. No problem.

But how do I save it on the Client PC ?
Do I have to go through an intermediary step of saving it on the server
and then transferring the file (somehow) and deleting the file on the
server.

Any help and samples appreciated,

/jim

Jul 14 '06 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Buddy | last post by:
Hello, We are using DataTable to store our data that we retrieve from SQL because it provides us with ROW/COLUMN concept. Due to DataTable been memory hungary we are finding that at least 40MB...
by: John Kandell | last post by:
Hi, I posted this in the asp.net group, but didn't get a response. Maybe someone here can help me with this... --- Would someone be able to shed some light on what is the cost of saving a...
by: Steven Thomas | last post by:
Can some one help me find a code snipit for saving the contents of a data set to a comma seperated file? I have created a web service in asp.net that will read the data from a AS/400 DB2...
by: Sean Feldman | last post by:
Hello, I've installed WSE2 and succedded to download from WebService DataTable object, but can't do the oposite. Anyone can help please? Thanks a lot!
by: Mark | last post by:
Hi - I've a data table that I want to save to an external Access database. I'm interested in sample code that would perform this save. Thanks, Mark (VB.NET, .Net framework 1.0)
by: Maart_newbie | last post by:
Hi all, I've got a question about returning the value of a pk-column to a DataTable after inserting a row (via a data-adapter) using MySql5. Here is the SQL and code concerned: ...
by: jehugaleahsa | last post by:
Hello: What is the point of using a DataTable in ASP .NET? We are unsure how you can use them without 1) rebuilding them every postback, or 2) taking up precious memory. We are not sure how to...
by: =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?= | last post by:
Folks, I need to send a non-strongly typed DataTable as a parameter through my web service to update the database with the user's changes, and need to return it to the user's client app with any...
by: Swys | last post by:
Hi all! I am creating a WCF service (my first). I am going to have a variety of clients, one of which is a PHP client. Now, I've already established that I can return a normal string to the...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.