473,326 Members | 2,113 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,326 software developers and data experts.

need to write a simple web crawler

hai

i am a student and need to write a simple web crawler using python and need some guidance of how to start.. i need to crawl web pages using BFS and also DFS... one using stacks and other using queues...

i will try on the obsolete web pages only and so tht i can learn of how to do that.. i have taken a course called search engines and need some help in doing that...

help in any knind would be appreciated..

thank u
Sep 16 '06 #1
13 21670
kudos
127 Expert 100+
Its quite easy actually, you need one thing, one way to parse a html page (which is found in the python lib), and as you pointed out in your post, Breath first search (BFS) and depth first search (DFS). You also need some kind of structure to determine if you visited a certain page before (maybe a hash list?)

Lets assume that we use BFS, and use pythons list method, and that you start on a certain page (www.thescripts.com ?:)

hash = {}
stack = []
stack.push("www.thescripts.com")

while(len(stack) > 0):
currpage = stack.pop()
hash[currpage] = 1 # sets it to visited
links = findlinks(currpage) # this method finds all the links of the page
# here you can do what you would do, like finding some text, downloading
# some image etc etc
# push all the links on the stack
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1.  for l in links:
  2.   if(hash[l] != 1):
  3.    stack.push(l)

This was strictly psuedo code, since I haven't got a python interpreter here. If you still need it, I could write you a simple crawler.

-kudos

hai

i am a student and need to write a simple web crawler using python and need some guidance of how to start.. i need to crawl web pages using BFS and also DFS... one using stacks and other using queues...

i will try on the obsolete web pages only and so tht i can learn of how to do that.. i have taken a course called search engines and need some help in doing that...

help in any knind would be appreciated..

thank u
Sep 17 '06 #2
squzer
Hi friend.. me too involving develpin a crawler.. share the deas you got please........
Jun 18 '07 #3
kudos
127 Expert 100+
Hi friend.. me too involving develpin a crawler.. share the deas you got please........
Hi, what do you want to get from your crawl?

-kudos
Jun 18 '07 #4
I am looking for one that will read from a list of urls and crawl them for certain text words and then list the results.
Aug 6 '07 #5
I am also trying for that but my crawler takes a hell a lot of time to crwal i have done it in python. Can you folks give me some clue
Nov 12 '07 #6
dazzler
I have done crawler also which parses URLs from html. I think that python's html parser modules only work with clean & valid html code... and net is full of dirty html! so get ready to write your own html parser =)
Nov 12 '07 #7
heiro
Its quite easy actually, you need one thing, one way to parse a html page (which is found in the python lib), and as you pointed out in your post, Breath first search (BFS) and depth first search (DFS). You also need some kind of structure to determine if you visited a certain page before (maybe a hash list?)

Lets assume that we use BFS, and use pythons list method, and that you start on a certain page (www.thescripts.com ?:)

hash = {}
stack = []
stack.push("www.thescripts.com")

while(len(stack) > 0):
currpage = stack.pop()
hash[currpage] = 1 # sets it to visited
links = findlinks(currpage) # this method finds all the links of the page
# here you can do what you would do, like finding some text, downloading
# some image etc etc
# push all the links on the stack
  1.  for l in links:
  2.   if(hash[l] != 1):
  3.    stack.push(l)

This was strictly psuedo code, since I haven't got a python interpreter here. If you still need it, I could write you a simple crawler.

-kudos

I'm very interested how web crawler works..Would you mind if I ask for a sample code so that i could study and later make my own?
Nov 24 '07 #8
hi, i am trying to make a crawler and have the most frequency keywords of the pages of one site ... any idea??
Mar 29 '08 #9
urgent
Hi, I need to write a simple crawler too. it must have the ability to capture webpages from a certain site for example ww.CNN.com

and also it must parse those HTML webpages. I need any sample code please..urgently in order to help me with my project.
Apr 4 '08 #10
a simple html parser, looks for thumbnail tags and prints the thumbnail information

1. import urllib2, sgmllib
  4. class ImageScraper(sgmllib.SGMLParser):
  6.     def __init__(self):
  8.         sgmllib.SGMLParser.__init__(self)
  10.         self.href = ''
  12.     def start_a(self, attrs):
  13.         for tag, value in attrs:
  14.             if tag == 'href':
  15.                 self.href = value
  17.     def end_a(self):
  18.         self.href = ''
  20.     def start_img(self, attrs):
  21.         if self.href:
  22.             print "#####################################"
  23.             print "IMAGE URL: " + self.href
  24.             for tag, value in attrs:
  25.                 if tag == 'src':
  26.                     print "THUMBNAIL SRC: " + value
  27.                 elif tag == "width":
  28.                     print "THUMBNAIL WIDTH: " + value
  29.                 elif tag == "height":
  30.                     print "THUMBNAIL HEIGHT: " + value
  31.                 elif tag == "alt":
  32.                     print "THUMBNAIL NAME: " + value
  33.                 elif tag == "border":
  34.                     print "THUMBNAIL BORDER: " + value
  35.                 else:
  36.                     None
  37.             print "#####################################\n"
  40. url = "http://bytes.com/"
  42. sock = urllib2.urlopen(url)
  44. page = sock.read()
  46. sock.close()
  48. parser = ThumbnailScraper()
  50. parser.feed(page)
  52. parser.close()
Apr 4 '08 #11
Hi, what do you want to get from your crawl?

-kudos
hi kudos,

I want to write a crawler which will fetch the data like company name,turnover,product for which they are working for..and store into my database.

actually i have to submit a project,i have made simple html tags based crawler but want to make a dynamic simple web crawler.

your help is required!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Varun
Jul 1 '08 #12
kudos
127 Expert 100+
ok, webcrawlers, there is usually alot of 'ifs', but have a sketched out a very simple webcrawler that illustrates the idea (with comments!)

1. #webcrawler
  2. #this is basically a shell, illustrating use of the "breath-first" type of webcrawler
  3. # you have to add things for extracting the actual info from the webpage yourself
  4. # all it currently do is to print the url of the pages, and the number of candidates to visit
  6. import urllib
  7. page = "http://bytes.com" # startpage
  8. stack = []
  9. stack.append(page)
  10. visit = {} # keeps track of pages that we visited, to avoid loops
  11. stopvar = 5 # I have added a variable that will allow you to exit after visiting x number of page, obviously we do not want to visit all page of the internet :)
  13. while(stopvar >= 0):
  14.  stopvar-=1
  15.  cpage = stack.pop()
  16.  f = urllib.urlopen(cpage)
  17.  html=f.read()
  18.  sp = "a href=\""
  20.  # you want extract things from the html code (such as images, text etc, etc around here)
  21.  # the rest of the thing is to extract hyperlinks, and put them into a stack, so we can
  22.  # continue to visit pages
  24.  for i in range(len(html)):
  25.   if(sp == html[i:i+len(sp)]):
  26.    url = ""
  27.    i+=len(sp)
  28.    while(html[i] != "\""):
  29.     url+=html[i]
  30.     i+=1
  31.    # is our link a local link, or a global link? i leave local links as an exercise :)
  32.    if(url[0:4] == "http"):
  33.     if(visit.has_key(url) == False):
  34.      stack.append(url)
  35.      visit[url] = 1
  36.  print str(len(stack)) + " " + cpage
-kudos
Jul 19 '08 #13
Try Scrapy, a very powerful (and well documented) framework for writing web crawlers (and screen scrapers) in Python.
Nov 21 '09 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.