473,387 Members | 1,650 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,387 software developers and data experts.

Dumb Combo Box Question

I have created combo boxes in the past in access but for some reason now it doesn't seem to work. I drag the combo on the screen and hook it up with a query. When I execute the process and see the drop down it won't let me select an item!! I know this is something stupid that I just don't remember. Anybody have and answer?
Sep 19 '06 #1
7 7949
I have created combo boxes in the past in access but for some reason now it doesn't seem to work. I drag the combo on the screen and hook it up with a query. When I execute the process and see the drop down it won't let me select an item!! I know this is something stupid that I just don't remember. Anybody have and answer?
Hi,
If as u say u have put a query as row source of the combo box and u can't select anything may be u need to change the enable property to yes.
Sep 19 '06 #2
Hi,
If as u say u have put a query as row source of the combo box and u can't select anything may be u need to change the enable property to yes.

As it turned out there UPDATE option for the form was set to false and all I had to do was to set it TRUE and then I could select on the combo.

Thanks.
Sep 19 '06 #3
elaina
As it turned out there UPDATE option for the form was set to false and all I had to do was to set it TRUE and then I could select on the combo.

Thanks.
I'm having the exact same problem but apparently I am even greener. Where is this Update option for the form?

Thanks.
Elaina
Dec 11 '06 #4
@elaina
In Access 2010, it's called "Allow Edits", and it's in the DATA tab of the Properties for the form (not for the combo box).

- Dayton - Wed. 01/09/2013 @ 15:31:32
Jan 9 '13 #5
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
We appreciate the instinct to answer Dayton, but you should probably know that it was asked over 6 years ago now. Before even Access 2007 was on the shelves. Nevertheless, it may still prove useful to people looking up the problem even now.

NB. You don't need to include the date in your posts as each post has a date displayed automatically anyway ;-)
Jan 10 '13 #6
I'm not an idiot, I knew the question was old. It remained unanswered. It took only a few seconds to answer it so I did in the hope that someone else may find it and save themselves further searching. I thought that was the whole point of these boards.

The signature line is automated, including the date/time stamp.

- Dayton - Thu. 01/10/2013 @ 08:12:15
Jan 10 '13 #7
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Dayton:
I'm not an idiot, I knew the question was old. It remained unanswered.
I wasn't suggesting you were an idiot Dayton. I merely pointed out that which it seems you already understood, but wasn't made clear in your post, that the thread was older even than the solution which was suggested.
Dayton:
It took only a few seconds to answer it so I did
Technically, the question is still not answered, as your answer, which may still prove helpful, does not actually cover the original question, which was relative to a version earlier than 2007 - hence cannot technically benefit from the answer suggested. That is not to criticise your answer, which as I've mentioned already, may still prove helpful. Nevertheless it doesn't provide an answer to match the original question.

Part of my reason for posting, as a moderator, was to make it clear to some other less experienced moderators that actually, though many are suspicious of long dead threads being resurrected, they should not delete your post as it may still have value.

I'm really not sure why you feel that my post was in any way offensive. I'm bound to post the truth as I see it. I've reread it and find nothing that should offend anyone.
Jan 10 '13 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Python Dunce | last post by:
I've run into an issue with glob and matching filenames with brackets '' in them. The problem comes when I'm using part of such a filename as the path I'm passing to glob. Here's a trimmed down...
by: Marcus Smaby | last post by:
With the rich IDE on VB.net 2003, I was wondering if there is an easy way to set the event handler function for a hand-coded object (SqlConnection for example). I know that if I dim it withevents I...
by: MostlyH2O | last post by:
Hi Folks, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask a really newbie question, but I can't seem to get an answer to what seems to be a simple question... What is the difference, with regard...
by: Duncan Mole | last post by:
Hi, I know this is dumb but if I add a reference to the release version of a company class library in debug and build it it works fine. If I then switch to release and rebuild the reference is...
by: David Frank | last post by:
How can I write a string function that encloses the input string in quotes "string" ?? below works for the "123 operation but adding " to it clobbers the "123 main() { char...
by: Tim | last post by:
it must be tempting to say FTFM, but believe me I have. I have a combobox. I set Co.ValueMember = "field1" and Co.DisplayMember = "field2" and then load some data this way ...
by: Steve Marshall | last post by:
Hi All, I'm working on an owner-drawn combo box which will display multiple columns in the list, either from a table in an associated DataSourse or from delimited strings in the Items...
chunk1978
by: chunk1978 | last post by:
hi there... totally new to PHP... please forgive my ignorance... i've done some reading about PHP and it seems to be what i'm looking for... but i'm still not convinced... i'm creating a website...
by: Steven W. Orr | last post by:
So sorry because I know I'm doing something wrong. 574 cat c2.py #! /usr/local/bin/python2.4 def inc(jj): def dummy(): jj = jj + 1 return jj return dummy
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.