473,441 Members | 1,783 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,441 software developers and data experts.

Where are cool keyboard shortcuts documented?

bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I've learned F8 (safe mode boot)
and I just learned Ctrl Shift Esc (Task Manager)
here in these forums. Where are the rest of these documented?
Dec 2 '06 #1
19 3044
sashi
1,754 Expert 1GB
I've learned F8 (safe mode boot)
and I just learned Ctrl Shift Esc (Task Manager)
here in these forums. Where are the rest of these documented?
Hi Barton,

Isn't Alt + Ctrl + Del opens up Task Manager?
Dec 2 '06 #2
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Hi Barton,

Turns out, that's the long way and works with certain login configurations. Ctrl + Shift + Esc is a true shortcut. Didn't you try it?
Dec 2 '06 #3
awesome!
u guys r really cooooooooooooooooooooool!can u post some other shortcuts please?
Dec 4 '06 #4
Ctrl + Esc is the same as the Start button but was in there in windows 95 before keyboards with a start button
Windows + E opens explorer
Windows + R opens a run menu
Windows + D Shows desktop (do twice to reverse)
Windows + M minimize all (like above, but better for viewing error messages) (works backwards in 98/ME and older NT/XP versions)
Hold Alt and press tab with multiple windows open, you can scroll through them
Alt+Esc is like Alt+Tab but not sure exactly how it picks which windows to open
Dec 4 '06 #5
thank uuuuuuu
now i know something in windows heheheh
Dec 4 '06 #6
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
yes these are all a must another cool one is F11 while browsing the net makes your browser go full screen.

also there are the basics like

CTRL C- copy
CTRL V -paste
CTRL -X CUT

CTRL -Z undo
CTRL- Y redo

windows key brings up your startup

also while deleting files you can hold shift and it will delete them permanently

there other commands but they are more obscure, the ones you see in the list so far are more common
Dec 4 '06 #7
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
yes these are all a must another cool one is F11 while browsing the net makes your browser go full screen.

also there are the basics like

CTRL C- copy
CTRL V -paste
CTRL -X CUT

CTRL -Z undo
CTRL- Y redo

windows key brings up your startup

also while deleting files you can hold shift and it will delete them permanently

there other commands but they are more obscure, the ones you see in the list so far are more common
Ok, thanks. I've learned a little. But I set out to find some docs that has them all in one place. Is it all just lore (passed from one master to the pupils he can reach)?
Dec 4 '06 #8
Oh, then goto the source:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449
Dec 4 '06 #9
AricC
1,892 Expert 1GB
ALT+Print Screen captures only the active window
Shift+Right Click allows Run As...
Shift+Tab tabs back
Control+Enter in your internet browser adds http:// + .com
Dec 4 '06 #10
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Thanks! I know that I typed "keyboard shortcuts" into a Help and Support query, but I've got my search set for applies to XP only. I'm sure this IS the info that I was looking for but didn't find because:

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows 95
Dec 5 '06 #11
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Thanks! I know that I typed "keyboard shortcuts" into a Help and Support query, but I've got my search set for applies to XP only. I'm sure this IS the info that I was looking for but didn't find because:
Here is the XP link
Dec 6 '06 #12
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Great Link!
Good JoB!
A++++++
Dec 7 '06 #13
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Here is the XP link
Great We have all Windows OSs except Vista which should not be that different

How about Mac and Linux ? Command Prompt anybody?
Dec 7 '06 #14
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Hi Barton,

Turns out that this is true. Except on XP Pro where you can have the old style login (as I do) that require the user name to be typed in for security. In this case Ctrl Alt Del (three finger solute to us old-timers) opens the login box which links to the Task manager with a button.
Dec 10 '06 #15
ALT+Print Screen captures only the active window
Shift+Right Click allows Run As...
Shift+Tab tabs back
Control+Enter in your internet browser adds http:// + .com
hi... you told that alt+run screencaptures only the active window.... but where will the captures go.....will be glad on your reply...
Jan 15 '07 #16
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
hi... you told that alt+run screencaptures only the active window.... but where will the captures go.....will be glad on your reply...
start button + PrtScn captures whole screen.
Alt+PrtScn captures only the active window.
Both go to the clipboard. You can paste into any program that handles bitmaps.
Jan 15 '07 #17
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Great We have all Windows OSs except Vista which should not be that different

How about Mac and Linux ? Command Prompt anybody?
In Help and Support, there is a topic called "Command-line reference A-Z". Could be a very useful tool.
Jan 20 '07 #18
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
True. Very difficult to find. All have to add some good keywords when I get a second.
Aug 18 '07 #19
CTRL + ENTER when typing a URL appends www. and .com to the address entered...atleast in FF.

EX:

type "google" into url and instead of just hitting enter...hit CTRL + ENTER.

And also in FF F6 highlights the URL.
Aug 19 '07 #20

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.