473,394 Members | 1,642 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,394 software developers and data experts.

find word in file

Hi i have been trying to solve this question:

Write a C++ program to find a given word in a file. It should display all the line numbers where the word occurs.

i did this code:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. #include <iostream>
  2. #include <conio.h>
  3. #include <fstream>
  5. using namespace std;
  7. int main()
  8. {
  9. string s1;
  10. ifstream in ("file.txt");
  11. int lines = 0;
  12. cout << "Enter your search string: " <<endl;
  13. cin >> s1;
  15. while(!in.eof())
  16. {
  17.    in.seekg(0,ios::beg);
  18.    lines ++;
  19.    if(//String in file)
  20.    {
  22.    cout<<"The  string occured at lines: " << lines<<endl;
  23.   }
  24. }
  26. in.close();
  28. getch();
  29. return 0;
  30. }
i just have problems in interpreting this part to code:
if(//String in file), hope that someone can help me fix it.

thanks

carly
Dec 8 '06 #1
3 7962
this site has info about the ios::beg
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/files.html
it should be able to help you thru the search
I've used those funct.'s before so I can't really help without rewrite the program
but i'm assuming you need it to work with the one you posted right?
Dec 8 '06 #2
it also covers the " in.seekg(0,ios::beg) "
which you'll probably use to read each line and then maybe dump it in to a string (which might be easier to compare) and compare sl ( the user's string) with each character in the file...
like if( sl[x] == (Character from File) )...
well something like that, just make sure you add so error coding tho...
Dec 8 '06 #3
carly
this site has info about the ios::beg
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/files.html
it should be able to help you thru the search
I've used those funct.'s before so I can't really help without rewrite the program
but i'm assuming you need it to work with the one you posted right?
ummm... I only needed help in writing this part to code:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. if(//String in file)
, the tutorials you gave me didnt really help me in figuring out how i can translate that sentence to code, but thanks anyway

carly
Dec 8 '06 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: t0M | last post by:
It's nearly impossible to find anything on this because of the Dictionary class, included within the dotnet framework, that pollutes any search results pertinent to my question. I want to be...
by: James Vitale | last post by:
Using vb asp.net 1.1 I'm doing a word automation on a doc file and trying to do a find and replace. My existing code works fine except that it doesn't find and replace in the header. My code...
by: Al_P via DotNetMonster.com | last post by:
I have: Win2K Office2000 Working in VB.Net (2003) My .Net project has a reference to Word 9.0 Instantiating things in a simple and straightforward manner: Dim word as Word.Application Dim...
by: Jordan | last post by:
Hi. I am autoamtiacally creating a MS Word file through code. Most of my code works, but when I try to do a find and replace, I get a read/write memrory access error. Not sure what is going on. Any...
by: Perl Beginner | last post by:
Hi, Is there a way to find a line in a text file that starts with a forward slash? This is how i find a line in text file that starts with a word and then print that line to another text file: ...
by: Neehar | last post by:
Hello For one of the interviews I took recently, I was given an offline programming quiz. In 30 minutes I had to write code in C++ to counts the number of times each unique word appears in a...
by: Soulless | last post by:
Hi, I have created a batch file in C# and want to find and place it in the path of an installed application. Now, this might be done on an XP, 2000, etc system. The application is installed...
by: amiparna | last post by:
There is two frame in my form.In d first frame there is a text box,and i give some word in the text box.I want to search the word from a file from the location(http://45.12.09.31...........) and if...
by: xetulul | last post by:
my problem is that im unable to match a user input word to a word in a string. the strings are in a file and then placed in nodes. i have to go through each token in each node to find the 'word'....
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.