473,395 Members | 1,441 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,395 software developers and data experts.

Book for Python

please recommend me book for python
Dec 15 '06 #1
9 2555
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Learning Python
by Mark Lutz and David Ascher
publisher: O'Reilly
Dec 15 '06 #2
ghostdog74
511 Expert 256MB
Here are some books
Dec 15 '06 #3
dshimer
136 Expert 100+
My favorites for getting started were...
For basics start with.
  • "Sams Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours"
  • "The Quick Python Book"
For more advanced reference.
  • "Python Essential Reference"
  • "Python Cookbook"
I do a lot of command line stuff so pretty much ignored all the tkinter stuff.
Dec 19 '06 #4
bvdet
2,851 Expert Mod 2GB
For basics start with.
  • "Python Cookbook"
If you are interested in "Python Essential Reference", the 3rd edition covers Python 2.4.
Dec 19 '06 #5
kudos
127 Expert 100+
Hi

Why read a book, when you have the Internet (with updated information). I think this is a good starting point.

-kudos

Dec 20 '06 #6
dshimer
136 Expert 100+
Found another book I like over the weekend.
"Python Phrasebook" by Brad Dayley.
Lots of small scripts as examples of common tasks organized in several headings. Clear and easy to follow. Not in depth or overly technical, good reminders and examples for tasks I don't do often, new things I'd like to try. Also some good nuggets for common tasks that need strong understanding.
Dec 26 '06 #7
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Hi

Why read a book, when you have the Internet (with updated information). I think this is a good starting point.

-kudos
This is a great starting point. I may have to make this thread sticky now.
Dec 26 '06 #8
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
For basics start with.
  • "Python Cookbook"
Python Cookbook is great. I built my first multi-threaded app right out of these pages. It talks asyncronously to the serial port on my PC. I may have to post that code, come to think of it.
Dec 26 '06 #9
dshimer
136 Expert 100+
A great e-book mentioned in a later thread by spacecoyote that is worth repeating often is How to Think Like a Computer Scientist - Learning With Python. It starts from scratch, but also contains some great thoughts as skills develop
Feb 8 '07 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Anthony | last post by:
Hello I'm currently trying to read Core Python Programming, but by the looks of it im never going to get done the book is about 860 pages long real intimidating, but im guess im going to have to...
by: Eduardo Patto Kanegae | last post by:
Hello, I have been programming with Visual Basic and PHP in the last 5 years and some folks had recommended Python a free language.... I had looked for a Python book to start up but found many...
by: Paddy McCarthy | last post by:
I just re-read "Why Python?" at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3882 The article is from 2000 and shows how a programmer who programmed in many programming languages, and who wrote...
by: Madhusudan Singh | last post by:
Hi I am trying to teach myself Python. I have extensive prior programming experience in Fortran, a little in C/C++, Pascal, etc. So far, I have been reading online tutorials at www.python.org...
by: santanu | last post by:
Hi all, I know a little python (not the OOP part) learnt by studying the online tutorial. Now I would like to learn it more thoroughly. I have access to 'Programming Python' which I liked...
by: fdsl ysnh | last post by:
--- python-list-request@python.orgдµÀ: > Send Python-list mailing list submissions to > python-list@python.org > > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, > visit >...
by: David Rasmussen | last post by:
What is the best book for Python newbies (seasoned programmer in other languages)? /David
by: IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS | last post by:
I want to learn python. I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than reading on-line tutorials. I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some...
by: dhr | last post by:
newbie question: Is there a 'K&R" type of Python book? The book that you'd better have on your shelf if you are going into Python?
by: dogatemycomputer | last post by:
Greetings, A friend of mine dropped off a copy of Sams Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours published in 2000. I skimmed the first couple of chapters looking for the interpreter version and the...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.