473,421 Members | 1,642 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,421 software developers and data experts.

hide installed content in add/remove list

271 100+
hi all,
i am using a common computer in my office where some of my collegues used to uninstall my installed contents. can any one tell me how to hack registry to hide the installed contents from the add/remove programs list.

thanks in advance.....
Dec 30 '06 #1
13 10612
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
hi all,
i am using a common computer in my office where some of my collegues used to uninstall my installed contents. can any one tell me how to hack registry to hide the installed contents from the add/remove programs list.

thanks in advance.....
This is the first link that comes up from a search of TSDN for "add/remove". There are MANY others.
Dec 30 '06 #2
karthi84
271 100+
hi,
i tried most of them but they are not helping me in my task. so can any one provide me a solution other than that.
Jan 3 '07 #3
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
You can hide it by editing the registry, although if your coworkers are good with computers they will still delete your programs by going to c drive and wiping them out from the program files. What I did in school is get a 2 gig flash drive which I could plug into any usb port and install all my program in there and then just run them from that location.

Also if you are installing chat programs or games or other potentially unsafe programs for your work network and the admin keeps uninstalling I think you should get the message by now =)

Well good luck,

Cyberdyne
Jan 3 '07 #4
karthi84
271 100+
hi,
can u get me the registry key and the value to be changed for hiding the program from the list.
Jan 4 '07 #5
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
hi,
can u get me the registry key and the value to be changed for hiding the program from the list.
which program?

Each program has its own registry key.

Regards, Cyberdyne.
Jan 5 '07 #6
karthi84
271 100+
hi,

can u tell me which registry key i have to modify for hiding that particular software from the add/remove program list
Jan 5 '07 #7
bmruze
hi,

can u tell me which registry key i have to modify for hiding that particular software from the add/remove program list
Editing the registry isn't something that just anyone should be messing with, you need to know what you're doing since a lot of harm can be done to your computer if you mess something up. As the person above you stated so what is the EXACT name of the program you are trying to hide, simply hiding the "add/remove" program isn't the solution.
Jan 5 '07 #8
karthi84
271 100+
hi ruze,

my problem is in my office some one using my pc in my absense is removing some of my installed softwares from my computer. so i want to hide some of the installed softwares that are important from the add/remove program list. for this i tried some of the softwares which i got in google search. but they all failed to help me. then i got an idea of hiding them using the registry keys. so can u help me in this. lets take an example of dreamweaver software. please give me where will be the registry key for this software to hide it from the add/remove program list.
Jan 6 '07 #9
bmruze
hi ruze,

my problem is in my office some one using my pc in my absense is removing some of my installed softwares from my computer. so i want to hide some of the installed softwares that are important from the add/remove program list. for this i tried some of the softwares which i got in google search. but they all failed to help me. then i got an idea of hiding them using the registry keys. so can u help me in this. lets take an example of dreamweaver software. please give me where will be the registry key for this software to hide it from the add/remove program list.
Which OS(Operating System) are you running?
Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP(home or pro), Windows server(2000/20003), Vista, or something else if you aren't running any of the above. something else is, are you on an administrative account?
Jan 6 '07 #10
karthi84
271 100+
i use windows xp pro with sp2
Jan 6 '07 #11
bmruze
i use windows xp pro with sp2
A simple google search turned up this
help with registry

see if that solves your problem.
Jan 6 '07 #12
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Karthi 84, the solution to your problem is even easier than you think.

Create a password for your account and then create a limited account user name for your other coworkers to use if you are sharing your station. If you are not sharing just password protect and nobody will be able to go in and erase your programs.

You can do this by going to Start > Control Panel > Users

Good Luck and I hope you take this easier approach to the problem, instead of messing with your registry and potentially losing your OS and important data.

Regards, Cyberdyne.
Jan 7 '07 #13
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Karthi wants to continue looking for a solution to modifying her registry at own risk.

Karthi please specify the programs you want to hide and we will try and help you.

Regards, Cyberdyne.
Jan 9 '07 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.