473,513 Members | 2,749 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

folder name con in windows

271 Contributor
hi,

i came to know that the name "con" cannot be used for any folders in windows operating system and i too tried it. can any one tell me y that name cannot be used for the folders. i am much eager to know the reason for this.

regards....
Jan 3 '07 #1
15 10711
Cyberdyne
627 Recognized Expert Contributor
Device names such as COM1, CON or LPT1 are reserved words, and they can't be used as folder or file names.

Basically its one way Microsoft patched some of their denial of service vulnerabilities.

Well hope that explains it for you.

Regards, Cyberdyne.
Jan 3 '07 #2
karthi84
271 Contributor
thanks for ur reply. now i got my doubt cleared.

regards.....
Jan 4 '07 #3
vpawizard
66 New Member
Well the explanation is correct but windows can be exploited to create a folder 'con'. Try this:

md \\.\c:\con

Regards,
Jan 4 '07 #4
Cyberdyne
I made the folder but now I can't delete it, nice! So how do I delete it now?
Jan 5 '07 #5
Cyberdyne
Ok I got it, reverse engineering to delete open command prompt and run

rd \\.\c:\con

enjoy =)
Jan 5 '07 #6
karthi84
271 Contributor
i tried to copy some content inside this folder thinking that as the folder cannot be deleted from windows it will be the same for the files inside also but my idea failed. so can any one tell me a way so that i can save my important datas from being deleted.
Jan 5 '07 #7
Cyberdyne
Karthi I suggest you open a new thread for this questions in the windows forum and we will be glad to help you.

Regards, Cyberdyne
Jan 5 '07 #8
karthi84
271 Contributor
sure cyberdyne i will do that
Jan 6 '07 #9
shardul316
20 New Member
do this
1.goto any folder
2.by using right click select rename option
3.rename the folder as con.
4.you can't rename it
WHY?
Jan 19 '07 #10
terbolee
23 New Member
The dot is not a valid character for a folder name.

do this
1.goto any folder
2.by using right click select rename option
3.rename the folder as con.
4.you can't rename it
WHY?
Jan 22 '07 #11
shardul316
20 New Member
The dot is not a valid character for a folder name.
don't use dot.just rename it as con
and check whether it renames?
any windows folder can accept any name except con
WHY THIS IS SO?
Jan 22 '07 #12
Cyberdyne
shardul316 I merged the threads as this question was already asked before.. enjoy.

Cyberdyne.
Jan 22 '07 #13
jinsaugustin
5 New Member
thanku it is working
Sep 15 '10 #14
jinsaugustin
5 New Member
how we can delete con folder?
Sep 15 '10 #15
jinsaugustin
5 New Member
rd \\.\c:\con try this
Sep 15 '10 #16

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: John.Arthur | last post by:
Hi, I need to implement functionality in Windows forms and I do not know to do it or even if it is possible. In windows explorer when you create new folder, the explorer creates the folder with name "New Folder" and allows you to edit the name. That is exactly what I need to do, but I need it in Tree View control in Windows forms. How is...
by: John Regan | last post by:
Hello All I am trying to find the owner of a file or folder on our network (Windows 2000 Server) using VB.Net and/or API. so I can search for Folders that don't follow our company's specified folder structure and naming conventions and then send a Net send message to those users telling them to rectify. The information I want to get is when...
by: Sai | last post by:
Hi All, I have written a HTTP Module (Auth.dll) to authenticate pages in a virtual directory. The virtual directory points to a network path (per se \\net1\web). Now I have to place the compiled HTTP Module Auth.dll and supporting dll's in \\net1\web\bin folder, and copied the web.config to \\net1\web. I am getting security error when I...
by: trialproduct2004 | last post by:
Hi all I am having one application where i want to implement new feature that is 'create new folder'. and display new folder name in listview. My listview is editable. My problem is i want to display unique folder name to the user at a time of creating new folder. That is if user click on 'create new folder' by default i am displaying text...
by: _DG | last post by:
At least when you've got any docs in .CHM format in the folder tree. If you drop a file called CSharpDocs.chm into a folder: \toplevel\C#\docs, you can open it, but it won't display. The # anywhere in the folder hierarchy is enough to cause problems. I spent quite a while trying to figure this out. Tried it on several systems. Even...
by: tatemononai | last post by:
Ok, this is a very unique bug. I have only been able to find one other post related to this online, and everybody who responded misunderstood the problem. I am not trying to reference anything in the BIN folder directly. Here is the problem. I had a site running without any problems, and then all of a sudden it went down and visitors...
by: rdemyan via AccessMonster.com | last post by:
With A2003, I'm having trouble accessing files in a folder on another computer where back-end files, update files, etc are located. Here's the scenario: 1) Computer #1 - A2003 2) Computer #2 - Access 2000; folder with back-ends for both computers and 'Update' folder. I have a launcher program that launces my application (MyApp). The...
by: Nick 'The Database Guy' | last post by:
Hi All, I want to browse to a particular folder, not a particular file. The reason for this is that I have a utility that asks people to browse to a certain file, and I want them to be able to choose the location that they start browsing. Thanks in advance.
by: The Mad Ape | last post by:
Hello I have a FileSave Dialog and am trying to pass the current folder name to a string. Is there any way to do that? It was easy to get the file path and name using .FileName but I see nothing to get the Folder. Thanks The Mad Ape
by: Sin Jeong-hun | last post by:
Hello. Speical folders, like Desktop, usually have different display names. For example, in Japanese Windows, it's displayed as "$B%G%9%/%H%C%W(B". I want to get the this displayed name of a special folder but I can't find a suitable method. Environment.GetFolderPath() is to get the path not the name. There's no way provided the .NET BCL?...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.