473,385 Members | 1,521 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,385 software developers and data experts.

My network places: PCs disappear after 20 minutes

Hello everyone, i was wondering if someone would know why one of my computers disappear after 15 to 20 minutes in my network places, i can still access it by using start -> run --> \\pcname.

its just weird that it would disappear from my network places, making it imposible to access it by double-clicking. if i restart the ethernet connection (disable and enable) the network card inside network connections, the pc appears again.. it seems to fade though after 20 minutes.

Ip numbers seem fine, this PC (the one that disappears) is routing through the other PC through a ICS (internet connection sharing). it gets ip through DHCP.

I would appreciate any help on this issue. :-)

Juano.
Jan 22 '07 #1
3 4641
Juano
Problem seemed to resolve!
i put in a wins server in the TAB wins under TCP/IP properties which is 192.168.0.2, this is generated by default when you enable ICS on the server. Assigning 192.168.0.2 in the first box at WINS tab made it work, its been 30 minutes and no PC has disappeared.
For ubuntu box it was changing:

# wins server = w.x.y.z

for

wins server = 192.168.0.2
---------------------------------------
in smb.conf
Jan 23 '07 #2
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Great you solved it, just another example of trial and error and determination

Cyber
Jan 23 '07 #3
Juano
Thanks for the reply.

I would like to add to this that it is good to use static IPs with samba, after testing some with vmware i figured out that static IPs go well with samba, one of my problems was the Windows DHCP server, seemed to fail during ICS, my linux box then determined an APIPA address, 169.254.x.x with mask 255.255.0.0 , this caused for the computers to fail in my network places also (different masks at some boot ups). When i used static IPs, everything seemed fine. PCs should be on the same netmask and workgroup. enabling wins support = yes seems to work fine too under samba with Linux / Windows networking.
The good news is I solved the problem now :-)

I hope this can be useful to anyone, if they are experiencing this issue! :-)

Juano
Feb 5 '07 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Midgar | last post by:
Hi, I have a problem with vb.net : I create dinamically labels in a panel with this code (simplified): panel1.controls.clear dim a as new label a.text="Test" panel1.controls.add(a) I have 6...
by: John Smith | last post by:
Hello! I have following developing environment: Visual Studio.NET 2003 ..NET Framework 1.1 local ASPNET account exists Windows XP Professional All worked perfectly for months.
by: David W. Fenton | last post by:
I'm no stranger to this error message, but I have a client who is experiencing it, but, fortunately, without any actual data corruption, and it's driving them made. Their inability to grasp that...
by: ddsvi78 | last post by:
I am a complete idiot when it comes to access. Now that said, I work for a computer security company and one of our customers came to us with an access problem. They had been running fine for a...
by: Nathaniel Wingard | last post by:
I recently was asked to write a program that moved files to certain places on a network drive based on what the files were (mainly filenames since the files are mostly Office documents of various...
by: Michael A. Covington | last post by:
In a C# program, how can I obtain the contents of My Network Places (i.e., a set of UNC paths) in order to use them in a menu of my own design? My Network Places does not appear to be a folder of...
by: Todd | last post by:
I have been a VB programmer for about 2 years. I'm a new user to VB.net, about two weeks; I'm trying to write just a small App to start with, that will do a Net send function. I would like to...
by: Troy Dot Net | last post by:
Hello All, We have an unusual problem that we've not seen before. We've developed a ..Net 2.0 site (via VS2005) that works great from within our network (we host the site and the SQL Server...
by: Yong | last post by:
I get a general network error when I try to make asynchronously call ExecuteNonQuery on long sql statements that run in parallel. Here is the background info on what I'm trying to accomplish: I...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often need to import Excel data into databases (such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle) for data analysis and processing. Usually, we use database tools like Navicat or the Excel import...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.