473,433 Members | 2,051 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,433 software developers and data experts.

ms access 97 on xp

hi i have an error on windows xp when i try to start access 97 all other programs run fine in office 97 except access.
these are the things i have done :
i have boosted my virtual memory to 4000
i have reinstalled off 97
i have closed all open programs before i start the office 97
i have gone and changed the capability mode to run with 98
i have gone into msconfig and stopped all programs from running
and i get this message ( out of memory) then i click ok and get this message (a system error occurred, or there is not enough free memory to start microsoft access. close unneeded programs and start again.

please help me anyone if you can i need to get into my databases.
Jan 31 '07 #1
8 5676
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
I can't imagine this is an Access issue (notwithstanding the fact that it doesn't happen with other programs).
If you haven't already tried this, reboot your system and check again. If this gives you no joy then try posting your problem in the Windows forum.
Feb 1 '07 #2
I already tried to post on microsoft forums and got no answers what so ever. 1 guy tried to help but he couldn't figure it out either. it was working because i access it all the time but now it doesn't work and i've tried everything i can think of.

thanks for your help
Feb 1 '07 #3
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
I already tried to post on microsoft forums and got no answers what so ever. 1 guy tried to help but he couldn't figure it out either. it was working because i access it all the time but now it doesn't work and i've tried everything i can think of.

thanks for your help
When I say Windows Forum I mean the one here in TheScripts. If you don't get an answer in there then I'd be surprised. They may not be able to solve your problem, but I'm sure they'll try.
Feb 1 '07 #4
nico5038
3,080 Expert 2GB
MS Access database recovery steps:

1) Create a backup of the corrupt database. (Just in case of)

2) Create a new database and use File/Get external data/Import to get all objects of the damaged database.

3) Try these Microsoft solutions:
Repair A97/A2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q109/9/53.asp
Jetcomp:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q273956
and/or read the article:
ACC2000: How to Troubleshoot Corruption in a Microsoft Access Database
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306204

4) Bit "heavier":
Access decompile:
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/decompile.htm

5) Try a recovery tool / Table rescue
Table datarecovery:
www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0018.htm
Access recovery:
http://www.officerecovery.com/access/index.htm

6) Ask a company (will cost $$'s ! )
http://www.pksolutions.com/services.htm

check also: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Nic;o)
Feb 2 '07 #5
vema
I am having this same problem. Is there a solution. I've tried going into the registry. Ive got jet 3.5 and 4.0[ folders in the msft software area there.
Mar 5 '07 #6
vema
I even updated jet 3.5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172733/EN-US/

to version 3.51.3328.0 the latest
Mar 5 '07 #7
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
I even updated jet 3.5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172733/EN-US/

to version 3.51.3328.0 the latest
Vema,

You're welcome to get information from this thread, but please read what's here before asking for more. An even cursory glance would tell you that asking for more here is inappropriate, as this is not the Windows forum.

MODERATOR.
Mar 5 '07 #8
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
hi i have an error on windows xp when i try to start access 97 all other programs run fine in office 97 except access.
these are the things i have done :
i have boosted my virtual memory to 4000
i have reinstalled off 97
i have closed all open programs before i start the office 97
i have gone and changed the capability mode to run with 98
i have gone into msconfig and stopped all programs from running
and i get this message ( out of memory) then i click ok and get this message (a system error occurred, or there is not enough free memory to start microsoft access. close unneeded programs and start again.

please help me anyone if you can i need to get into my databases.
This message appears not only when you run low on overall memory, but also any time you run low on system resources. Given every corrective action you have taken, check for a large number of Graph Objects you have open due to Charts present in you Forms and Reports. These Objects are notorious as Resource Hogs. I've assumed that you have already Shut Down and restarted Windows. When you reinstalled Access 97, did you do a complete uninstall of the original application? A reinstallation of Access won't fix corrupted files. You need to uninstall Access then reinstall it. When you reinstall Access over an existing version of the Program, the Setup routine detects the existing copy of Access and simply replaces any missing files. Hope this helps.
Mar 6 '07 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.