473,324 Members | 2,548 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,324 software developers and data experts.

about country,state,city selection

Hi

In my php page , there is a user registration form. Here the user has to select
the country, state, city from the drop down box. How this can be handled in php?
If a country is selected in a drop down box , its corresponding states should be
populated in the state drop down box. If a state is selected , its corresponding
cities should be populated in the city drop down box. Where all these data has to be stored and retrieved. What type of data storage and datastructure can be used. ? How this can be done in php + javascript ?plzz reply guys if anyone knws it
Feb 9 '07 #1
5 9360
Motoma
3,237 Expert 2GB
Hi

the country, state, city from the drop down box. How this can be handled in php?
If a country is selected in a drop down box , its corresponding states should be
populated in the state drop down box. If a state is selected , its corresponding
cities should be populated in the city drop down box. Where all these data has to be stored and retrieved. What type of data storage and datastructure can be used. ? How this can be done in php + javascript ?plzz reply guys if anyone knws it
PHP will initially populate the dropdown boxes. You will then need javascript to perform the switching and swapping after the page has loaded.
A good thing to note, PHP is executed on a Server, before the page has loaded on the client's web browser, Javascript is executed in the web browser, after the page has been served. Without some snazzy programming, there is very little interaction between the two.
Feb 9 '07 #2
Motoma
3,237 Expert 2GB
I have moved this thread to the Javascript forum, as I feel that the kids there will be able to help you out much better.
Feb 9 '07 #3
abctech
157 100+
Hi

Hi,
I don't know PHP, but have a look at the fol. code which is in JS :-
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <script language="javascript">
  4. function showField()
  5. {
  6. var choice = document.formname.drop1.options[document.formname.drop1.selectedIndex].value;
  8. if(choice == "US")
  9. {
  10. document.all['other-div'].style.display = "none";
  11. document.all['US-div'].style.display = "";
  12. }
  14. else if(choice == "other")
  15. {
  16. document.all['other-div'].style.display = "";
  17. document.all['US-div'].style.display = "none";
  18. }
  20. else
  21. {
  22. document.all['other-div'].style.display = "none";
  23. document.all['US-div'].style.display = "none";
  24. }
  25. }
  26. </script>
  27. </head>
  28. <body>
  30. <form name="formname">
  31. <select name="drop1" onchange="showField()">
  32. <option value="pleasechoose" selected>- Please Choose -
  33. <option value="US">US
  34. <option value="other">Other
  35. </select>
  37. <br><br>
  39. <div style="position: absolute; display: none" name="US-div" id="US-div">
  40. <select name="US-states">
  41. <option>Option 1
  42. <option>Option 2
  43. <option>Etc...
  44. </select>
  45. </div>
  47. <div style="position: absolute; display: none" name="other-div" id="other-div">
  48. <input type="text" name="textbox">
  49. </div>
  51. </form>
  53. </body>
  54. </html>
Feb 10 '07 #4
@abctech
Hi... I love your code... but... If I need it with a 3th dorp dow for cities.... Country--->State-->City....

How I get it?
Feb 17 '09 #5
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
Unfortunately, the code posted by abctech is incorrect. The main problem is the use of document.all which is supported by a select few browsers. Give each element an ID and use document.getElementById() instead.

The code only shows and hides divs. If you want to populate drop-downs, you need to either use the add() method or add a new option via the options[] array.

To add another level for cities, just follow the same procedure: onchange call a function which populates the third drop-down depending on the selection in the second one.
Feb 18 '09 #6

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.