473,407 Members | 2,326 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,407 software developers and data experts.

java based game does not load all the way

i like to play a game called runescape, http://www.runescape.com and i used to be able to play it on the same computer i am on now. but now all of a sudden my internet slows way down to the point of where it wont load the game. and i have fast internet. dsl/cable. please help!!!
Feb 11 '07 #1
31 12044
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
i like to play a game called runescape, http://www.runescape.com and i used to be able to play it on the same computer i am on now. but now all of a sudden my internet slows way down to the point of where it wont load the game. and i have fast internet. dsl/cable. please help!!!
Which browser are you using?
Feb 11 '07 #2
ive tried both firefox and internet explorer neither work. i experience the same problem with both
Feb 11 '07 #3
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
ive tried both firefox and internet explorer neither work. i experience the same problem with both
J2SE should be version 5.1.0.100 and you should check Java Control Panel settings.
Feb 11 '07 #4
J2SE should be version 5.1.0.100 and you should check Java Control Panel settings.
how do i check all that
Feb 11 '07 #5
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
how do i check all that
You can verify you java installation here. There should be a java icon in your control panel when everything is installed correctly.
Feb 11 '07 #6
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
You can verify you java installation here. There should be a java icon in your control panel when everything is installed correctly.
That was cool. Java was set to automatically update so I had assumed that my installation was up to date. Actually, the current update is 11, not 10, and I've got it now because I followed my own link.
Feb 11 '07 #7
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
That was cool. Java was set to automatically update so I had assumed that my installation was up to date. Actually, the current update is 11, not 10, and I've got it now because I followed my own link.
jusched is now turned off. One less process in the list! I think I'm down to 26 including AV and SQL server with no apps running. My whole system starts up in seconds and runs in under 200MBs.
Feb 12 '07 #8
cool, thanks ill try that
Feb 12 '07 #9
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
cool, thanks ill try that
You're welcome. Let us know if it works out for you.
Feb 12 '07 #10
well my java did need updating but that didnt solve the problem. i think i know wht it is but i dopnt know ow to fix it. my internet slows down when i try to load the game. but it only slows down in that window not others
Feb 12 '07 #11
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I think i know what it is but i don't know how to fix it. my internet slows down when i try to load the game. but it only slows down in that window not others
What do you think it is? Perhaps you have a good idea that we can work on.
Feb 13 '07 #12
What do you think it is? Perhaps you have a good idea that we can work on.
i honestly have no clue wht it is. nor any ideas. my internet just simply slows down when trying to load it. but only slows down on that window. like i can open another window and it will run at normal speed. ive tried to let the game just sit there and load but it eventually redirects to another page saying that it could not communicate properly
Feb 13 '07 #13
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
i honestly have no clue wht it is. nor any ideas. my internet just simply slows down when trying to load it. but only slows down on that window. like i can open another window and it will run at normal speed. ive tried to let the game just sit there and load but it eventually redirects to another page saying that it could not communicate properly
Well, it seems like we've checked out your computer pretty thouroghly (two browsers, latest java, etc). It's probably time to ask the site operators for help. I don't have the exact link, but I got as far as Home > Customer Support > Technical on their site.
Feb 13 '07 #14
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Barton thank you for giving great advice on fixing runescape. Let's see what the techies will say on the game's website.

May I also suggest logging on to your computer under a different user name and trying to play. Also on their site they have several solutions to the problems you described, here is one that might help you.

I can see the main game screen but with nothing in my inventory and no world, it just says "Loading...please wait", what should I do?
If you are running a PC with 1GB+ of RAM, a memory conflict can occur. This problem is caused by Java not giving RuneScape enough memory to work with and can be solved using the following steps.

Note: Please only perform these steps if you are technically competent or a responsible adult. Jagex takes no responsibility for any data lost as a consequence of using this fix.

- Open your Windows Control Panel
- Open the Java Control Panel
- Select the Java tab
- In the "Java applet runtime settings" section choose "View..." (not the application settings but applet)

Your JRE version should be listed there. In the box marked run-time parameters, you can add something like:

-Xmx256M
Include the minus sign before it. This should increase the maximum available memory to Java to 256MB.
Do not set this number to anything more than half of your maximum RAM otherwise Windows could have problems running.

As Runescape is designed to be run on Windows using the Internet Explorer browser software, we can only offer support relating to those products. If you are using a different operating system or browser then you will have to consult the manual for that software to find the equivalent procedures.

If you continue to have difficulties then please contact the Customer Support Team again for further assistance. Please remember to include any changes that have occurred to Runescape's performance after following the above actions, as well as your computer specifications (CPU speed, Internet connection speed, RAM and free hard drive space).

Regards, Cyber.
Feb 14 '07 #15
Barton thank you for giving great advice on fixing runescape. Let's see what the techies will say on the game's website.

May I also suggest logging on to your computer under a different user name and trying to play. Also on their site they have several solutions to the problems you described, here is one that might help you.

I can see the main game screen but with nothing in my inventory and no world, it just says "Loading...please wait", what should I do?
If you are running a PC with 1GB+ of RAM, a memory conflict can occur. This problem is caused by Java not giving RuneScape enough memory to work with and can be solved using the following steps.

Note: Please only perform these steps if you are technically competent or a responsible adult. Jagex takes no responsibility for any data lost as a consequence of using this fix.

- Open your Windows Control Panel
- Open the Java Control Panel
- Select the Java tab
- In the "Java applet runtime settings" section choose "View..." (not the application settings but applet)

Your JRE version should be listed there. In the box marked run-time parameters, you can add something like:

-Xmx256M
Include the minus sign before it. This should increase the maximum available memory to Java to 256MB.
Do not set this number to anything more than half of your maximum RAM otherwise Windows could have problems running.

As Runescape is designed to be run on Windows using the Internet Explorer browser software, we can only offer support relating to those products. If you are using a different operating system or browser then you will have to consult the manual for that software to find the equivalent procedures.

If you continue to have difficulties then please contact the Customer Support Team again for further assistance. Please remember to include any changes that have occurred to Runescape's performance after following the above actions, as well as your computer specifications (CPU speed, Internet connection speed, RAM and free hard drive space).

Regards, Cyber.
thanks but i have already tried everything on their website and i have contacted their customer support and even they dont know whts up
Feb 14 '07 #16
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
thanks but i have already tried everything on their website and i have contacted their customer support and even they dont know whts up
How much memory do you have installed on this machine?
Feb 14 '07 #17
How much memory do you have installed on this machine?
512mb but the game worked b4 on this same machine then all of a sudden stopped
Feb 14 '07 #18
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
512mb but the game worked b4 on this same machine then all of a sudden stopped
I'm stumped.
Feb 15 '07 #19
You're welcome. Let us know if it works out for you.
hi. i play runescape for only a while and it just restarts the computer in the middle of the game is it to do with java? help!!!!
Feb 15 '07 #20
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
hi. i play runescape for only a while and it just restarts the computer in the middle of the game is it to do with java? help!!!!
I think that if you read the whole thread, you will find that having up-to-date java package didn't change anything and all signs point to a problem in runescape. If both of you just switched from IE6 to IE7, this might help track down the problem.
Feb 15 '07 #21
I think that if you read the whole thread, you will find that having up-to-date java package didn't change anything and all signs point to a problem in runescape. If both of you just switched from IE6 to IE7, this might help track down the problem.
i mainly use firefoxz, but have tried both browsers i still have ie6
Feb 15 '07 #22
i mainly use firefoxz, but have tried both browsers i still have ie6
well whats ie6 and ie7. i dnt know?
Feb 16 '07 #23
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
well whats ie6 and ie7. i dnt know?
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is old version. Internet Explorer 7 is the latest version that gets installed with Windows Updates. I looks different because it has tabs for different pages and is more secure, but some web sites don't work very well with it (others may require it).
Feb 16 '07 #24
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is old version. Internet Explorer 7 is the latest version that gets installed with Windows Updates. I looks different because it has tabs for different pages and is more secure, but some web sites don't work very well with it (others may require it).
ive tried the game with ie6 and ie7
Feb 16 '07 #25
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
ive tried the game with ie6 and ie7
How 'bout virus protection? Perhaps you scan memory with a different program than you used to.
Feb 16 '07 #26
How 'bout virus protection? Perhaps you scan memory with a different program than you used to.
nope. and i tried the "switch to a different user" approach and got no results. ok and a sidenote tottally off topic. wht computer would you suggest for optimal performance and alot of memory. for $1,000.00 or a little bit more?
Feb 17 '07 #27
Heeey Buddy !
I've got the solution for u !

I had the same problem exactly n' it drove me craaazy !! :S
spent about 10 hours trying to solve the problem..then figured out the following method!:

1- disable any firewall software u use
2- disable any pop-up blocker..including the internet explorer built-in one !
3- turn on windows firewall !! for ur internet connection!
----------------
now the game should work with u ;)

by the way i registered in the forum just to write this replay !
good luck dude ..... n' tell me what will happen with u.
Aug 4 '07 #28
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Heeey Buddy !
I've got the solution for u !

I had the same problem exactly n' it drove me craaazy !! :S
spent about 10 hours trying to solve the problem..then figured out the following method!:

1- disable any firewall software u use
2- disable any pop-up blocker..including the internet explorer built-in one !
3- turn on windows firewall !! for ur internet connection!
----------------
now the game should work with u ;)

by the way i registered in the forum just to write this replay !
good luck dude ..... n' tell me what will happen with u.
I've heard that the runescape site collapsed. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. This issue keeps coming up and I'd like to be able to give definitive advice (I don't play games myself). Thanks for the post!
Aug 4 '07 #29
Runescape still lives and works just fine. Only not on my computer.

I'll add to the above mystery, maybe someone will think of something.

My computer browser will crash at random times when I try to play Runescape on this computer. This happens in both FireFox and IE, and updating IE didn't seem to help. I may play for an hour, I may not play for ten seconds. One 'fit' last night wouldn't even let me sign into the game. Every time I tried, it would close the browser as soon as it tried to open the game. Three times it rebooted my entire computer. No chance of real help from the game itself-- as the final ironic straw, clicking the link to the tech help crashes my browser too! I hope I'm not the only one who sees the humor in that!

I've tried: Deleting and reloading Java. Updating both browsers. Turning off ZoneAlarm and using Windows Firewall instead. Turning off AVG. Turning off Superantispyware. Deleting Windows Live IM. Checking to be sure Java is enabled. Eating Popcorn while glaring at my monitor.

None of those work.

fyi, I've never had this problem with my laptop, or any other computer. For those who don't know, Runescape is one of the easiest games to run-- our library can run it on Pentium II's.
Dec 19 '07 #30
I'm having a similar problem to what he is having..
I've been searching through google and found this site out of random and I hope you can help.
Here's what im doing
www.runescape.com>Play Runescape(existing member)>Low detail *with the recommended java applet*>And i pick any world.
Next think I know is that there is a red "X" in the top left hand corner and a blank white box in the dead center.
On my laptop runescape worked, as well as my downstairs computer, but this one does not.
It is Vista just like my laptop..
I have no idea what is wrong and I need to play this...
Any advice?
By the way, I have no knowledge on computers what-so-ever. All I do is play this game along with others.
Appreciate the help!
Feb 4 '08 #31
hmmmm u might need to try putting the detail on low instead of high or somtimes there might be too many people in the runescape world and u cant get in

hope this works =}
Feb 28 '08 #32

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.