473,325 Members | 2,805 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,325 software developers and data experts.

Clearing out Date Variables

I have a form where users input some dates, these dates are then written to date variables.

I need to clear out the date variables with either an empty string or a null value. Currently, I am using 12:00 AM to clear out the date value, however this is now causing confusion.

Can anyone tell me out to clear out the variable so it is empty.

Thanks so much

Pam
Feb 19 '07 #1
7 3414
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
I have a form where users input some dates, these dates are then written to date variables.

I need to clear out the date variables with either an empty string or a null value. Currently, I am using 12:00 AM to clear out the date value, however this is now causing confusion.

Thanks so much

Pam
What you can't do:
__1 You cannot set a Date Variable to an Empty String since this is reserved for Strings.
__2 You cannot set a Date Variable to Null since only Variant Data Types can be set to a Null Value.
__3 You cannot set a Date Variable to 0 since that would return 12:00 A.M.
__4 You cannot set a Date Variable = Nothing because that is reserved for Object Variables.
__5 If these Date Variables are declared in a Form Module then once you close the Form they will automatically go out of Scope and lose their value. If they are declared as Public in a Standard Module, they will retain their value for the lifetime of the application which could be a problem.
__6 You can convert the Variable to a Variant then assign it to vbNull as in below, but then it simply returns 12/31/1899.
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. MyDate = CVar(MyDate)
  2. MyDate = vbNull
  3. Debug.Print MyDate ==> 12/31/1899
__7 In short, I'm kind of stumped. I'm sure some of the other Experts/Moderators will shed some light on your dilemma and meanwhile I'll still be working on it. Please be patient.
Feb 19 '07 #2
Thank you for your response.

To shed a little more light, they are stored at public variables which is why I need to clear the values.
Feb 19 '07 #3
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
Thank you for your response.

To shed a little more light, they are stored at public variables which is why I need to clear the values.
The closet solution that I can come up with is to Declare the Date Variables As Variants as opposed to Date/Time, and then set them to vbNull. The will then contain a value of, believe it or not, 1.
  1. Dim MyDate As Variant
  2. MyDate = #1/1/2007#
  4. Debug.Print MyDate      'output: 1/1/2007
  6. MyDate = vbNull
  7. Debug.Print MyDate      'output: 1
Feb 19 '07 #4
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
...Or you could set a Variant variable as Null.
This cannot be done in a typed variable as ADezii says, but Variants are special cases for that and can be set to Null.
Testing for Null values in code can be done with the IsNull() function.
Feb 20 '07 #5
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB

Thanks so much

Pam
I think we have finally arrived at your solution although it didn't work a couple of hours ago. Please don't ask me why.
  1. Dim MyDate As Variant
  2. MyDate = #1/1/2007#
  4. Debug.Print MyDate      'output: 1/1/2007
  6. MyDate = Null
  7. Debug.Print MyDate      'output: Null
Feb 20 '07 #6
Thanks everyone.

I will change them to variants. I truly appreciate your advise.
Feb 20 '07 #7
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Not a problem Pam.
Glad you got what you were after :)
Feb 20 '07 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.