473,396 Members | 1,666 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,396 software developers and data experts.

Table Relationships for a Report in Access 2003 DB

Going Crazy .....Help Required with Access 2003 DB

I am new to DB Access 2003 and i am having trouble generating a report from various tables, actually i have to generate a report based on three different tables and these tables have Date, Time, Unit, Operator in common but the other fields like Weight, Temperature, Laempe No', Machine No' and Mix No' n Readings come from other tables and while we have one value for all the other fields Readings has three values. I know it's kindda confusing ........but here is the problem........I have tried to make a query n add the diff. tables from where i want the data to go in the DB but when it comes to building relationships i get so lost , i dont know which relationships should i build so that my report gets the necessary data.I tried building relations and my DB didn't have any values and it gave some error aswell.

I need some expert help on this issue now. Any help will be highly appreciated .

Thanks in advance.
Feb 19 '07 #1
6 2302
So if I understand correctly all three tables have the fields Date, Time, Unit, and Operator in common.

If that is true you can link all the table together via the operator field.

What error are you getting? And, what is the report criteria?
Feb 19 '07 #2
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Have a look at this tutorial and come back with any questions.

Normalisation and Table structures

Instinctively I think you are duplicating fields that shouldn't be duplicated.

Mary
Feb 20 '07 #3
I am still confused, i want to make one report from multiple tables but since the tables have different fields but Date, Time, Operator and unit are common fields in all the tables, can someone plz. suggest me how to write a query based on multiple tables to form a report.

I have never ever written relationships before and i am so lost here, i am not able to define correct relationships, because it doesnt populate any data from the tables.
Mar 19 '07 #4
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
I am still confused, i want to make one report from multiple tables but since the tables have different fields but Date, Time, Operator and unit are common fields in all the tables, can someone plz. suggest me how to write a query based on multiple tables to form a report.

I have never ever written relationships before and i am so lost here, i am not able to define correct relationships, because it doesnt populate any data from the tables.
The problem is if you join the three tables based on operator for instance this will only show the records that have the operator field in all three tables.

Also do any of the tables have more than one record per operator? If the tables are not joined correctly then you won't retrieve all the records but with your current structure I'm not sure it's possible. I need more information about what field is unique to each of these tables. By that I mean that there are no duplicates in the value of the field.

Mary
Mar 22 '07 #5
The problem is if you join the three tables based on operator for instance this will only show the records that have the operator field in all three tables.

Also do any of the tables have more than one record per operator? If the tables are not joined correctly then you won't retrieve all the records but with your current structure I'm not sure it's possible. I need more information about what field is unique to each of these tables. By that I mean that there are no duplicates in the value of the field.

Mary
I got it done, thanks for your help :)
Apr 4 '07 #6
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
I got it done, thanks for your help :)
You're welcome.
Apr 4 '07 #7

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Mahesh Hardikar | last post by:
Hi , Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 on HP-UX 11.0 I am a newbie as far as PL-SQL is concerned . I have Sybase/MSSQL T-SQL background. We have a report which uses a select statement . This select...
by: Peter | last post by:
Can anyone tell me how to change the data type of a field in a table created with a make table query? The field is a binary and must be changed to text. alternately does anyone know how to specify...
by: Ed | last post by:
I am running Access 2002 and just ran the built in Access wizard for splitting a database into a back end (with tables) and front end (with queries, forms, modules, etc.). After running the...
by: Neil Ginsberg | last post by:
I have ODBC linked tables to a SQL 7 database in an A2K database. The linked tables do not have the password stored in them, so the first time the user accesses them, they need to enter the SQL...
by: ChadDiesel | last post by:
Hello everyone. I need some advice on table structure for a new project I've been given. One of our customers sends us an Excel spreadsheet each week containing their order. Currently, someone...
by: Stephen Layton | last post by:
Our Access 2003 database (which had been converted a year or so ago from an Access 97 database) contained one major table which suddenly developed about five records which had clearly become...
by: Kevin Chambers | last post by:
Hi all-- In an attempt to commit an Access MDB to a versioning system (subversion), I'm trying to figure out how to convert a jet table's metadata to text, a la SaveAsText. The end goal is to...
by: Bob | last post by:
I have Access 2003. When I look at the relationships of my tables, it looks correct, with the various 1 to many relationships, and 1 to 1, indicated with a line between keys. When I try to "Print...
by: TonyJH226 | last post by:
MY database in Access 2003 is made up of about 30 related tables with relationships defined. I hit the "Show All Relationships" button on the tool bar and one of these tables somehow decided to move...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.