473,320 Members | 1,978 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

Help, get system time with milliseconds without Timer control

jeffbroodwar
118 100+
please help me get the system's time (with milliseconds) i need it to calculate the Soap request and response time in my SOAP project. i tried to use timer but the problem is, whenever i'm invoking a method.... the timer gets stuck along with the process, meaning it always returns .01 millisecond...... timer hangs with my pc..... i need to get the system time (with milliseconds) before and after calling the webservice then compute for the difference..... PLEASE HELP ME GUYS THIS THING'S IMPORTANT TO ME !! Thanx a lot !!!!!
Feb 20 '07 #1
8 43963
hariharanmca
1,977 1GB
please help me get the system's time (with milliseconds) i need it to calculate the Soap request and response time in my SOAP project. i tried to use timer but the problem is, whenever i'm invoking a method.... the timer gets stuck along with the process, meaning it always returns .01 millisecond...... timer hangs with my pc..... i need to get the system time (with milliseconds) before and after calling the webservice then compute for the difference..... PLEASE HELP ME GUYS THIS THING'S IMPORTANT TO ME !! Thanx a lot !!!!!

use Format(Now, "HH:mm:ss:ms")
Feb 20 '07 #2
hariharanmca
1,977 1GB
sorry, the above post is worng
Feb 20 '07 #3
jeffbroodwar
118 100+
Solved....
'Declarations :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit

Private Type SYSTEMTIME
wYear As Integer
wMonth As Integer
wDayOfWeek As Integer
wDay As Integer
wHour As Integer
wMinute As Integer
wSecond As Integer
wMilliseconds As Integer
End Type

Private Declare Sub GetSystemTime Lib "kernel32" _
(lpSystemTime As SYSTEMTIME)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Function :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Function TimeToMillisecond() As String
Dim sAns As String
Dim typTime As SYSTEMTIME

On Error Resume Next
GetSystemTime typTime
sAns = Hour(Now) & ":" & Minute(Now) & ":" & Second(Now) & _
":" & typTime.wMilliseconds
TimeToMillisecond = sAns
End Function
Feb 20 '07 #4
jeffbroodwar
118 100+
guess so.... but why? i mean it goes with vb's format function right? why will it be wrong???... hmm... can you test the code that i've posted? perhaps you can help me decide what's the correct one.... and please explain to me why your post is wrong. i tested it, it's obviously wrong but what made it wrong? thanx....
Feb 20 '07 #5
hariharanmca
1,977 1GB
guess so.... but why? i mean it goes with vb's format function right? why will it be wrong???... hmm... can you test the code that i've posted? perhaps you can help me decide what's the correct one.... and please explain to me why your post is wrong. i tested it, it's obviously wrong but what made it wrong? thanx....
no, i told the post which i had post is wrong
Feb 20 '07 #6
mayhem

Format(Now, "HH:mm:ss:ms")

is incorrect..... for some reason the ms is not reconised by visual basic...
I've not had time to look into it, but do simple test

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Private Sub Command1_Click()
  2. MsgBox Format(Now, "HH:mm:ss:ms")
  3. End Sub
you will see the last 3 digits are actully seconds.....
my is "3" then the current seconds digit(s)

the API GetSytemTime Works best for current system time.... API's are always preffered
Mar 13 '07 #7
Hope this is what you wanted:
  1. Public Sub DoWork()
  2.      Dim startDt as Date = Now()
  4.      ' Do you work here
  6.      Dim endDt as Date = Now()
  8.      Dim tm as long = DateDiffMs(startDt, endDt)
  10.   End Sub
  13.   Public Shared Function DateDiffMs(ByVal startDt As Date, ByVal endDt As Date) As Long
  14.     Dim ms As Long = DateDiff(DateInterval.Second, startDt, endDt) * 1000
  15.     If (endDt.Millisecond - startDt.Millisecond) < 0 Then
  16.       ms += 1000 - (startDt.Millisecond - endDt.Millisecond)
  17.     Else
  18.       ms += (endDt.Millisecond - startDt.Millisecond)
  19.     End If
  20.     Return ms
  21.   End Function
Cheers!
Mar 13 '07 #8
Hope this is what you wanted:
  1. Public Sub DoWork()
  2.      Dim startDt as Date = Now()
  3.      ' Do you work here
  4.      Dim endDt as Date = Now()
  5.      Dim tm as long = DateDiffMs(startDt, endDt)
  6. End Sub
  8. Public Shared Function DateDiffMs(ByVal startDt As Date, ByVal endDt As Date) As Long
  9.     Dim ms As Long = DateDiff(DateInterval.Second, startDt, endDt) * 1000
  10.     If (endDt.Millisecond - startDt.Millisecond) < 0 Then
  11.       ms += 1000 - (startDt.Millisecond - endDt.Millisecond)
  12.     Else
  13.       ms += (endDt.Millisecond - startDt.Millisecond)
  14.     End If
  15.     Return ms
  16.   End Function
This actually works. I have been looking for a solution to this sort of problem for some time. Funny that I never came across the "Date.Millisecond" bit, it was there all the time...

Thanks very much.
Mar 14 '07 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.