473,421 Members | 1,642 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,421 software developers and data experts.

Issue with loop in my code

JavaStudent07
I have a feeling it is something simple troubling me, I just cant find out what that problem is. The progam is SO CLOSE! please help me.

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. public class BubbleSort2
  2. {
  3. public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception
  4. {
  5. String filage="";
  6. String linetext;
  8. BufferedReader inWords=new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
  9. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired.  Be sure to use the entire path.");
  10. filage=inWords.readLine();
  12. while((linetext=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  13. {
  14. Sort(filage);
  15. }
  16. }
that little bit is the problem, I can compile and run, but it only executes the first line of the file and asks for the file again, then does the first line AGAIN and asks for the file AGAIN and so on and so forth repeating untill I terminate the box. If you have any suggestions, me and my friend are having the same problem, thanks for your time,

Steve
Mar 20 '07 #1
14 2507
r035198x
13,262 8TB
I have a feeling it is something simple troubling me, I just cant find out what that problem is. The progam is SO CLOSE! please help me.

1. public class BubbleSort2
  2. {
  3. public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception
  4. {
  5. String filage="";
  6. String linetext;
  8. BufferedReader inWords=new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
  9. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired. Be sure to use the entire path.");
  10. filage=inWords.readLine();
  12. while((linetext=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  13. {
  14. Sort(filage);
  15. }
  16. }
that little bit is the problem, I can compile and run, but it only executes the first line of the file and asks for the file again, then does the first line AGAIN and asks for the file AGAIN and so on and so forth repeating untill I terminate the box. If you have any suggestions, me and my friend are having the same problem, thanks for your time,

Steve
This is only ossible if you have print out in the sort method which you decided not to post. Please post the whole class.
Mar 20 '07 #2
This is only ossible if you have print out in the sort method which you decided not to post. Please post the whole class.
  1. /*
  2. Steve Glasser
  3. January 6,2007
  4. BubbleSort
  5. */
  7. import java.io.*;
  8. import java.util.*;
  10. public class BubbleSort2
  11. {
  12. public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception
  13. {
  14. String filage="";
  15. String linetext;
  17. BufferedReader inWords=new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
  18. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired.  Be sure to use the entire path.");
  19. filage=inWords.readLine();
  21. while((linetext=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  22. {
  23. Sort(filage);
  24. }
  25. }
  26. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  27. public static void Sort(String filage)throws Exception
  28. {
  29. char DataBits='A';
  30. String Number="";
  31. String Data="";
  32. char array[];
  33. int PlaceHolder=0;
  34. int ArrayLength=0;
  35. int intN=0;
  37. Data=seekBufferedReaderData(filage);
  39. System.out.println(Data);
  40. array=Data.toCharArray();
  41. ArrayLength=array.length;
  42. System.out.println(ArrayLength);
  43. DataBits=Data.charAt(PlaceHolder);
  44. final int ARRAY_SIZE=(ArrayLength-1);
  45. int NumArray[];
  46. NumArray=new int[ARRAY_SIZE];
  49. while(PlaceHolder<ArrayLength)
  50. {
  52. while(DataBits!=' ')
  53. {
  54. if(PlaceHolder<ArrayLength)
  55. {
  56. System.out.println("PlaceHolder: "+PlaceHolder);
  58. System.out.println("Character:"+DataBits);
  59. Number=(Number+DataBits);
  60. PlaceHolder++;
  61. DataBits=(Data.charAt(PlaceHolder));
  62. }
  63. }
  65. NumArray[intN]=seekArray(Number);
  66. System.out.println("Final Concatenated Result of While: "+NumArray[intN]);
  67. intN++;
  68. Number="";
  70. System.out.println("PlaceHolder: "+PlaceHolder);
  71. System.out.println("Character: *Blank*");
  72. PlaceHolder++;
  74. if(PlaceHolder<ArrayLength)
  75. {
  76. DataBits=(Data.charAt(PlaceHolder));
  77. }
  78. }
  79. seekAverage(NumArray, intN);
  80. System.out.println("In sorted order, the numbers go:");
  81. seekOrder(NumArray, intN);
  82. }
  84. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  85. public static String seekBufferedReaderData(String filage)throws Exception
  86. {
  88. BufferedReader inData=new BufferedReader(new FileReader(filage));
  89. String Data=inData.readLine();
  92. return(Data);
  93. }
  94. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  95. public static int seekArray(String Number)
  96. {
  97. int Numerical=Integer.parseInt(Number);
  99. return(Numerical);
  100. }
  102. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  103. public static void seekOrder(int NumArray[], int intN)
  104. {
  105. int swapped=0;
  106. int swap=0;
  107. int N=0;
  110. while(swapped==0)
  111. {
  112. swapped=1;
  114. for(N=0; N<intN-1;N++)
  115. {
  116.        if(NumArray[N]>NumArray[N + 1]) 
  117.            {     
  118.        swap=NumArray[N];
  119.        NumArray[N]=NumArray[N+1];
  120.        NumArray[N+1]=swap;
  121.        swapped=0; 
  122.            }
  123. }
  124. }//end for
  125. seekPrint(NumArray, intN);
  126. }//end Order
  127. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  128. public static void seekAverage(int NumArray[], int intN)
  129. {
  130. double dblAverage=0.00;
  131. int intTest=0;
  133. for(intTest=intN-1; intTest>=0; intTest--)
  134. {
  135. dblAverage=dblAverage+NumArray[intTest];
  136. }
  137. dblAverage=(dblAverage/intN);
  138. System.out.println("The Average of the Numbers is: "+dblAverage);
  139. }
  140. //V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^
  141. public static void seekPrint(int NumArray[], int intN)
  142. {
  143. int intTest=0;
  145. for(intTest=intN-1; intTest>=0; intTest--)
  146. {
  148. System.out.println("Array #: (test for subscript)"+intTest+"  "+NumArray[intTest]);
  149. }
  150. }
  151. }
Mar 21 '07 #3
I was wondering if you coult do the "String Data=inData.readLine(Counter);" to read each line and just bump it up but it said it couldn't resolve the symbol, I pretty much am out of guesses at this point.
Mar 21 '07 #4
r035198x
13,262 8TB
I was wondering if you coult do the "String Data=inData.readLine(Counter);" to read each line and just bump it up but it said it couldn't resolve the symbol, I pretty much am out of guesses at this point.
What do you want the lines

2. String filage="";
  3. String linetext;
  5. BufferedReader inWords=new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
  6. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired.  Be sure to use the entire path.");
  7. filage=inWords.readLine();
  9. while((linetext=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  10. {
  11. Sort(filage);
  12. }
to do?
Mar 21 '07 #5
I want them to find the data file inputted at the command prompt and run the program for each line with the while statement
Mar 22 '07 #6
r035198x
13,262 8TB
I want them to find the data file inputted at the command prompt and run the program for each line with the while statement
Then
  1. Sort(filage);
should be
  1.  Sort(linetext);
Mar 22 '07 #7
  1. public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception
  2. {
  3. String filage="";
  6. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired.  Be sure to use the entire path.");
  9. while((filage=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  10. {
  11. Sort(filage);
  12. }
  14. }
^^^^
that gives the same repeating results
Mar 22 '07 #8
r035198x
13,262 8TB
  1. public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception
  2. {
  3. String filage="";
  6. System.out.println("Please input the name of the file from which the data will be acquired. Be sure to use the entire path.");
  9. while((filage=inWords.readLine())!=null)
  10. {
  11. Sort(filage);
  12. }
  14. }
^^^^
that gives the same repeating results
So filage is actually a line of data from your file.
Now have a look at
  1.  Data=seekBufferedReaderData(filage);

And that method takes the fileage and tries to open a file called filage!
Mar 22 '07 #9
sorry, I dont follow. I just want to fill an array with each subscript being a different line of the test values

EX.
1.) 2 3 4 5
2.) 3 6 2 6
3.) 9 2 5 6

i want NumberArray[0]==2 3 4 5 and NumberArray[1]==3 6 2 6, etc etc. I think I can work it out if I can get some direction on that.
Mar 23 '07 #10
r035198x
13,262 8TB
sorry, I dont follow. I just want to fill an array with each subscript being a different line of the test values

EX.
1.) 2 3 4 5
2.) 3 6 2 6
3.) 9 2 5 6

i want NumberArray[0]==2 3 4 5 and NumberArray[1]==3 6 2 6, etc etc. I think I can work it out if I can get some direction on that.
  1.  index = 0; 
  2. for each line in the file
  3. String[] two = line.split(")"); // or is it line.split("\\)")?
  4. numberArray[index] = two[1];
Mar 24 '07 #11
i'm sorry, could you integrate it into my code or some other code for an example of actual coding, I'm not sure based on what you said, thats all new stuff to me...i'm sorry for the inconvenience

Steve
Mar 26 '07 #12
r035198x
13,262 8TB
  1.  index = 0; 
  2. for each line in the file
  3. String[] two = line.split(")"); // or is it line.split("\\)")?
  4. numberArray[index] = two[1];
Do you understand what the above is trying to do?
Mar 26 '07 #13
no i dont sorry
Mar 27 '07 #14
r035198x
13,262 8TB

EX.
1.) 2 3 4 5
2.) 3 6 2 6
3.) 9 2 5 6

Is the data in your file numbered like the example above or is the data just like this

2 3 4 5
3 6 2 6
9 2 5 6
Mar 27 '07 #15

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.