473,432 Members | 1,441 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,432 software developers and data experts.

Dilemma at work: Your thoughts...

Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hey gang!

We have about 350 working database, perhaps more. The IS Unit Dir. has, thus far, converted a number of extremely important databases to Java, he's very intelligent. I was also thinking of converting some systems using Microsoft software, J#, C#, something in that kind of a line, to save time.

I have two options to aid in this venture:

(1) Wait to re-start my career at the university and learn Java, help the group
(2) Learn J#, C# now, keep the work totally in-house

Should perhaps mention some of the work is done by outside vendors. Most of our products were built using Microsoft software.

Problems:

Conversion to Java for most systems is time-consuming and very expensive, cash flow is scarce

Conversion to more eloquent Microsoft Products is re-doing work to some extent, time-consuming. We have licenses to some of their products.

Conversion to Microsoft Products totally may mean upgrading in the future

Questions:

(a) What are the benefits of using Java instead?
(b) What are the nuances that exist to upgrading Sun products?
(c) How difficult is it to learn Java?
I know it's a monster, but can one trully pull it off within 3 months
(d) What do you know about J#, C#?
(e) What are the nuances that exist to upgrading Microsoft products?
(f) How difficult is it to learn J#, C#?

I am re-starting at the university in August. I think I need to quickly learn on my own for now, just in case. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hopefully you have a great week-end :-)
Mar 26 '07 #1
13 3331
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Hi Dököll

Sorry but I have to move this thread out of the cafe because the question is too technical. I'm moving it over to the Software Development forum. You'll probably get a better response there anyway.

Mary
Mar 26 '07 #2
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hi Dököll

Sorry but I have to move this thread out of the cafe because the question is too technical. I'm moving it over to the Software Development forum. You'll probably get a better response there anyway.

Mary
Well that makes sense...Fantastic! thanks.
Mar 27 '07 #3
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Well that makes sense...Fantastic! thanks.
No problem.
Mar 27 '07 #4
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
I think that depends on a few different factors. Do you know any OO languages now? A transition from C++ to Java is difficult by 1) learning to implement the API and 2) the verbosity. However, once those start coming in, the transition should be easier.

Also, your boss is converting the actual databases to Java? That's interesting, I haven't heard anything about doing that (for performance, reliability, etc...).
Mar 28 '07 #5
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
I think that depends on a few different factors. Do you know any OO languages now? A transition from C++ to Java is difficult by 1) learning to implement the API and 2) the verbosity. However, once those start coming in, the transition should be easier.

Also, your boss is converting the actual databases to Java? That's interesting, I haven't heard anything about doing that (for performance, reliability, etc...).
Thanks for your reply sicarie!

They're VB Apps with SQL Server Back-ends, the transitions was effortless. Nonetheless, this means 1/3 of the project finished. It's probable will need more capital to go for the long haul. Thought it right to use some of the Microsoft products already at hand or purchase new license. Which will ne the least expensive way of tackling the task, I must sure before I raise my hands happily :-)
Mar 29 '07 #6
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB

And oh, in response to other languages, Yes, I have taken C++, also a monster. I get the feeling, I'm asking for it though with Java :-)
Mar 29 '07 #7
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
And oh, in response to other languages, Yes, I have taken C++, also a monster. I get the feeling, I'm asking for it though with Java :-)
Haha, Java is actually better than C++, just more verbose. If you already have the SQL server backend, I'd recommend looking at just transitioning VB to Java.
Mar 30 '07 #8
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Haha, Java is actually better than C++, just more verbose. If you already have the SQL server backend, I'd recommend looking at just transitioning VB to Java.
My old VB professor and friend once said "with VB, a light will simply come on, and you will just get it, and coding it will never be the same". Do you consider this to be true with Java?
Mar 30 '07 #9
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
My old VB professor and friend once said "with VB, a light will simply come on, and you will just get it, and coding it will never be the same". Do you consider this to be true with Java?
I develop in Java right now, and I still have no idea what I'm doing half the time. No, I'm just kidding, it's not that bad. Like I said, if you can figure out how to navigate and use the Javadocs, you will be able to do a great amount with Java. If you have the C++ background, I am betting that you will pick up Java pretty easily. You will find it annoying at first, because there are the little things you could manipulate in C++, but can't in Java, but once you get the hang of it, I'm betting you'll find it pretty easy.
Mar 30 '07 #10
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
I develop in Java right now, and I still have no idea what I'm doing half the time. No, I'm just kidding, it's not that bad. Like I said, if you can figure out how to navigate and use the Javadocs, you will be able to do a great amount with Java. If you have the C++ background, I am betting that you will pick up Java pretty easily. You will find it annoying at first, because there are the little things you could manipulate in C++, but can't in Java, but once you get the hang of it, I'm betting you'll find it pretty easy.
With the vastly emerging changes in the software industry, heard of any glitches with Web apps created with older Java versions! I worry if we go full-blown, Sun as well may succomb to quicker changes to stay afloat.
Mar 31 '07 #11
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
With the vastly emerging changes in the software industry, heard of any glitches with Web apps created with older Java versions! I worry if we go full-blown, Sun as well may succomb to quicker changes to stay afloat.
We're going web-based my friends. Tis what the boss wants. Java to replace the other 80/85% of our applications, the rest, smaller apps, will run on Microsoft products. I am going to start here. There is a Java lesson in the mix. Thanks for your input sicarie!
Apr 14 '07 #12
drhowarddrfine
7,435 Expert 4TB
J# is Microsoft's .NET version of Java.
Java is heavily used throughout the industry. It is now open source so does not depend on Sun alone anymore.
Advantage of Java is that it can run anywhere while Microsoft stuff only runs on MS systems.
Apr 14 '07 #13
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
J# is Microsoft's .NET version of Java.
Java is heavily used throughout the industry. It is now open source so does not depend on Sun alone anymore.
Advantage of Java is that it can run anywhere while Microsoft stuff only runs on MS systems.
Thank you for this piece of information...Wish me luck:-)
Apr 16 '07 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.