473,434 Members | 1,575 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,434 software developers and data experts.

Send Groupwise Email in Access Problem

Hi
I've been happily using Dimitri Furman's email code to send messages but since upgrading to Groupwise 7 i've hit a slight problem. The code works great and sends the email as expected, however if you specify a proxy account to send the message from it does this, sends the email and then Access crashes (generic, Access has encountered and error message). I can't seem to find out where its crashing, no error messages etc, debugging doesn't show anything.
As everything still works great with older versions of Groupwise i'm guessing the problem is there, has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have any ideas how to find out either what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks
Mar 29 '07 #1
13 4389
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Hi
I've been happily using Dimitri Furman's email code to send messages but since upgrading to Groupwise 7 i've hit a slight problem. The code works great and sends the email as expected, however if you specify a proxy account to send the message from it does this, sends the email and then Access crashes (generic, Access has encountered and error message). I can't seem to find out where its crashing, no error messages etc, debugging doesn't show anything.
As everything still works great with older versions of Groupwise i'm guessing the problem is there, has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have any ideas how to find out either what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks
I'm afraid I haven't used this class so can't be of much help. Have you set breakpoints in the code to try to find out what statement is triggering the problem.
Mar 30 '07 #2
I'm afraid I haven't used this class so can't be of much help. Have you set breakpoints in the code to try to find out what statement is triggering the problem.
I have tried that, but it hasn't helped much, there doesn't seem to be a statement causing it. Its a strange problem. The code works, sends everything as expected and then Access crashes. I've debugged through the code and it falls over when the class module is terminating but all i get is error number 0, no description, no source and i can't trap it or ignore or anything. (And, i was under the impression that 0 meant there was no error?)
I tried commenting out the bit where i set the class to nothing (bypassing the class termination bit) and it still crashes, doesn't go to any of the error trapping code.
And, I've also looked in the event viewer on my PC and it just says that Access faulted in an unknown module

I'm wondering if Groupwise is returning an error and Access can't cope but i don't know how to check for this (or is it possible?)
Mar 30 '07 #3
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
I'll ask some of the other experts to have a look. They may have some insight into this.

Mary
Mar 30 '07 #4
developing
110 100+
what version of access
Mar 30 '07 #5
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
I have tried that, but it hasn't helped much, there doesn't seem to be a statement causing it. Its a strange problem. The code works, sends everything as expected and then Access crashes. I've debugged through the code and it falls over when the class module is terminating but all i get is error number 0, no description, no source and i can't trap it or ignore or anything. (And, i was under the impression that 0 meant there was no error?)
I tried commenting out the bit where i set the class to nothing (bypassing the class termination bit) and it still crashes, doesn't go to any of the error trapping code.
And, I've also looked in the event viewer on my PC and it just says that Access faulted in an unknown module

I'm wondering if Groupwise is returning an error and Access can't cope but i don't know how to check for this (or is it possible?)
This is a long shot but it is worth an attempt:

__1. Within the VBA IDE
__2. Tools ==> Options ==> General ==> Error Trapping
__3. Select Break on Unhandled Errors NOT Break in Class Module
__4. See what happens next

NOTE: You are correct about Error Number = 0, in that this usually indicates that an Error did not occur during a process, and is actually used within an expression (Err.Number <> 0) to indicate the existence of an Error Free state.
Mar 30 '07 #6
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
I can't be much help, I'm afraid.
I have had some experience of Access crashing in a similar way (Spurious error message - No way I could find of determining where (if at all) there is any problem in my code), but eventually had to put it down to Access being poorly written as far as error handling and reporting goes.
Mar 30 '07 #7
Denburt
1,356 Expert 1GB
Not much help here either, I have limited experience with Groupwise, I have had sporadic crashes in the past in certain areas and the only way I found it was by importing everything into a new DB and found out a certain form had issues. I know this sucks as a solution. Hopefully Adezii's idea will work.
Mar 30 '07 #8
Thanks for the replies, and here's the answers to your questions

This is happening in Access97, 2003 and a runtime 2003.
I've tried all 3 error handling options and the end result is always the same. When the class terminates so does Access, with no error present, its always 0.
Its also happening in different databases, with different forms etc. I tried copying it into a fresh database but it made no difference. (and it does work fine on pcs with earlier versions of groupwise so i didn't think this was the problem)

It's annoying because if you ignore the fact Access crashes it all works perfectly :)
Mar 30 '07 #9
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
That has to be a problem with the new version of the GroupWise library then I would say. Possibly could be handled better by Access, but surely a problem with the lib fundamentally.
Mar 30 '07 #10
Denburt
1,356 Expert 1GB
There is always the decompile option but I would be very carefull and backup the db first. This has saved me a couple of times but I have heard that it can turn your BD into Swiss Cheese although I have not had it happen yet.

Create a shortcut and use the following as a command line (Target)

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\MyDBFolder\MyDB.mdb" /decompile

The Start in would be the directory where MS access itself is located.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11"

Or just use the run command and of it goes.
Mar 30 '07 #11
Haveing this problem as well. Have you found any workarounds?

Hi

Thanks
Sep 12 '07 #12
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Only what's in the thread Roy.
Sep 13 '07 #13
Have you found the solution ? I have the same problem.
Nov 4 '14 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.