473,544 Members | 1,024 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Animating a Picture

44 New Member
How can I make a picture slide across the form in VBA. It can be pre-programmed or random what ever is easier. I need to be able to see it move at any given speed.

Thanks for your support.
Apr 3 '07 #1
17 6936
Killer42
8,435 Recognized Expert Expert
How can I make a picture slide across the form in VBA. It can be pre-programmed or random what ever is easier. I need to be able to see it move at any given speed.
Moving it is easy - you can either set the .Top and/or .Left properties, or use the .Move method.
Apr 3 '07 #2
I Hate My Computer
44 New Member
Moving it is easy - you can either set the .Top and/or .Left properties, or use the .Move method.
I understand but this moves it so fast that I can't see it happen.
Apr 3 '07 #3
Killer42
I understand but this moves it so fast that I can't see it happen.
Have you tried putting a DoEvents in the loop? This might make a slight difference.

You could also invoke the Sleep function, which is somewhere in the API. Try a search for terms such as "VB SLEEP" on TheScripts. I think it allows you to put your program to sleep (basically, tell the CPU to ignore it) for a specified number of milliseconds.
Apr 4 '07 #4
tristanlbailey
31 New Member
How are you using the picture's .Left and .Top properties or Move method? Are you using them in a loop of some kind?

One way of doing this at a fairly consistent pace, independent of the computer's overall speed, is by using a Timer control.

Example:
(to move from left to right)

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
  3.     Picture1.Move Picture1.Left + 15
  5. End Sub
Set the Interval property of the Timer control to "50" (50 milliseconds). You may adjust this value after testing the code, to meet your needs.
Somewhere else in your program's code, you will switch the timer on by changing its Enabled property value to "True" (causing the picture to begin moving), and then switch the timer off by changing its Enabled property value to "False" (stopping the movement of the picture).

The direction in which the picture moves can be adjusted by changing the "+" (plus) to a "-" (minus), causing it to move right; and/or by giving the Move method a Top value to move the picture up or down.

Example
(to move diagonally down-right)

3.     Picture1.Move Picture1.Left + 15, Picture1.Top - 15
  5. End Sub
If the form's ScaleMode property is set to "Twips", the number added or subtracted is equal to the number of twips that the picture is moved, when the Timer's Timer event is executed each interval. One pixel is equal to 15 twips.

Get the picture?
Apr 4 '07 #5
I Hate My Computer
44 New Member
How are you using the picture's .Left and .Top properties or Move method? Are you using them in a loop of some kind?

One way of doing this at a fairly consistent pace, independent of the computer's overall speed, is by using a Timer control.

Example:
(to move from left to right)

3.     Picture1.Move Picture1.Left + 15
  5. End Sub
Set the Interval property of the Timer control to "50" (50 milliseconds). You may adjust this value after testing the code, to meet your needs.
Somewhere else in your program's code, you will switch the timer on by changing its Enabled property value to "True" (causing the picture to begin moving), and then switch the timer off by changing its Enabled property value to "False" (stopping the movement of the picture).

The direction in which the picture moves can be adjusted by changing the "+" (plus) to a "-" (minus), causing it to move right; and/or by giving the Move method a Top value to move the picture up or down.

Example
(to move diagonally down-right)

3.     Picture1.Move Picture1.Left + 15, Picture1.Top - 15
  5. End Sub
If the form's ScaleMode property is set to "Twips", the number added or subtracted is equal to the number of twips that the picture is moved, when the Timer's Timer event is executed each interval. One pixel is equal to 15 twips.

Get the picture?
I get it but VBA has no Private Sub Timer1_Timer() type control. It has OnTime.
Apr 4 '07 #6
Killer42
Unfortunately, VBA doesn't have a timer control. Unbelievable, but that's MS for you.

There are ways to simulate it, and third-party controls you can use. For example, see this thread.

(Sorry, I typed this a couple of hours ago but forgot to hit Submit.)
Apr 4 '07 #7
I Hate My Computer
44 New Member
Unfortunately, VBA doesn't have a timer control. Unbelievable, but that's MS for you.

There are ways to simulate it, and third-party controls you can use. For example, see this thread.

(Sorry, I typed this a couple of hours ago but forgot to hit Submit.)
I know that I have this code so far:

1. Sub ShapeMover()
  2.     Image1.Left = Image1.Left + 6
  3.     Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="ShapeMover"
  4. End Sub
When I run this it says sub or function not defined and this is all the code I have. How can I fix this?
Apr 4 '07 #8
Killer42
I know that I have this code so far:

1. Sub ShapeMover()
  2.     Image1.Left = Image1.Left + 6
  3.     Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="ShapeMover"
  4. End Sub
When I run this it says sub or function not defined and this is all the code I have. How can I fix this?
At what point does it say this? When it runs, or when you try to compile it?

Maybe you need to qualify the name you pass, like "Module1.ShapeM over" or something. Or is it complaining about the TimeValue( ) function?
Apr 4 '07 #9
I Hate My Computer
44 New Member
At what point does it say this? When it runs, or when you try ti compile it?

Maybe you need to qualify the name you pass, like "Module1.ShapeM over" or something. Or is it complaining about the TimeValue( ) function?
It says this when I close the form. I run it and it moves the shape then I wait for the timer for about a minute but it never kicks in so I close it. At that point after I close it it shows the error message. The problem is that It is not a module I want to rerun the "ShapeMover " thing.
Apr 4 '07 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.