473,327 Members | 2,094 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,327 software developers and data experts.

XP and Vista network...

cjbrx3115
Well, to start I just got Windows Vista a few months ago. It works great, but the trouble came when I decided to connect all of my computers - XP Home, XP Professional and Vista - to a home network. I have a broadband connection that connects into my wireless router, and the Vista connects, wired, through that router. My ethernet printer also connects through that router. I have 2 wireless computers, an XP Home and XP Professional, that connect to the router's wireless connectivity. Whenever I go into the Vista Network center, I can always connect to the other XP computers, but when I go into the My Network Places in any of the XP ones, I can see the Vista, but cannot connect to it. I get an error message saying, "You do not have permission to access this network resource." I have no clue whats wrong. I tried downloading that update (I don't remember the name) that lets you see the entire network on Vista, and that worked, but only for the Network Map. Please help if you can!
Apr 10 '07 #1
6 43837
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Well, to start I just got Windows Vista a few months ago. It works great, but the trouble came when I decided to connect all of my computers - XP Home, XP Professional and Vista - to a home network. I have a broadband connection that connects into my wireless router, and the Vista connects, wired, through that router. My ethernet printer also connects through that router. I have 2 wireless computers, an XP Home and XP Professional, that connect to the router's wireless connectivity. Whenever I go into the Vista Network center, I can always connect to the other XP computers, but when I go into the My Network Places in any of the XP ones, I can see the Vista, but cannot connect to it. I get an error message saying, "You do not have permission to access this network resource." I have no clue whats wrong. I tried downloading that update (I don't remember the name) that lets you see the entire network on Vista, and that worked, but only for the Network Map. Please help if you can!
Hello cjbrx3115!

You need sharing capabilities. I do not want to go too much into it myself at the risk of losing you in the message. Could not find you a great.understandler tutorial either. But I did find you an emaple you can follow, I use this at work:

This deals with files and printers, but should help you get started to see your machine carrying vista: http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/...0055565,00.htm

Pay close attention to Step 3: Create a workgroup

Please write again if this doe not help. I will look for more options. If all else fails, be prepared to read a journal from me:-)

In a bit!

Dököll
Apr 11 '07 #2
Oh yeah I already have a network and workgroup, the whole deal. Just the part about me not being able to connect to the computer...thats all.
Apr 11 '07 #3
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Oh yeah I already have a network and workgroup, the whole deal. Just the part about me not being able to connect to the computer...thats all.
Wheeh! You got past my typos :-)

If you follow the link I posted, you should be all set. my son's on my lap again, must hurry this note. please tell me what is not working, we'll se what I can do. I work with getting machines connected to domains everyday, not a guru or anything, but we can put our heads together. How's that for a deal?
Apr 11 '07 #4
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Wheeh! You got past my typos :-)

If you follow the link I posted, you should be all set. my son's on my lap again, must hurry this note. please tell me what is not working, we'll se what I can do. I work with getting machines connected to domains everyday, not a guru or anything, but we can put our heads together. How's that for a deal?
Also, did you make sure the computer name is showing in your Doman Admin Mgt, provided you have a domain where this machines have to connect to:

(1) Go to My Computer
(2) Manage

Search there...
Apr 11 '07 #5
Well, I have a workgroup, called BELLAIR HOME. Everything is set up and working. I can share files, printers, everything. I just can't (from the XP computers anyway) open my Vista computer in the My Workgroup.
Apr 12 '07 #6
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Well, I have a workgroup, called BELLAIR HOME. Everything is set up and working. I can share files, printers, everything. I just can't (from the XP computers anyway) open my Vista computer in the My Workgroup.
I'll try this at work again, will post what I can find. In the mean time, fetch answers here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ista+Computers

I Google something for you and the link found was indeed a Microsoft one, but was broken. Decided to query "?=&qu=Network+XP+computers+with+Vista+Compute rs" through above link and therefore. Give it a whirl.

In a bit!
Apr 13 '07 #7

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.