473,418 Members | 4,041 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,418 software developers and data experts.

Question about rebuilding solution

Ok, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, and if it's not i'm sorry. I recently had to reformat my C drive, and i had to reinstall Visual Studio 2005. Before I reinstalled it, the build menu had all kinds of options like build, rebuild, clean and several more. Now all it has is build Project and Publish Project. How do I get rebuild and clean back?

Thanks.
May 23 '07 #1
9 1618
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
Ok, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, and if it's not i'm sorry. I recently had to reformat my C drive, and i had to reinstall Visual Studio 2005. Before I reinstalled it, the build menu had all kinds of options like build, rebuild, clean and several more. Now all it has is build Project and Publish Project. How do I get rebuild and clean back?

Thanks.
Sounds like you installed Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition instead of Visual Studio. What does your Help, About menu say?
May 24 '07 #2
It is the professional version, not the express. I heard somthing about opening the solution instead of the project, but i'm not sure what thats means....
May 26 '07 #3
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
It is the professional version, not the express. I heard somthing about opening the solution instead of the project, but i'm not sure what thats means....
Solution files are *.sln: they are the ones to open.
May 26 '07 #4
Ok, I checked. .sln is the file type that i'm opening, yet i only have the two options to build or publish. Any ideas?
May 27 '07 #5
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
Ok, I checked. .sln is the file type that i'm opening, yet i only have the two options to build or publish. Any ideas?
It will be Tuesday before I can check: only have Express here at home.
May 28 '07 #6
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
In the meantime Eddy, it might help to drop a question into the .Net forum.
May 28 '07 #7
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB

Thanks.
As you said, you are missing a bunch of menu items. I did some hard digging & hopefully found the solution at http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f3a40c913cfe96

Petar Repac says to:
  1. open command prompt
  2. go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE (if you installed on some other location path will be somewhat different)
  3. run "devenv.exe /setup"
"Forces Visual Studio to merge the resource metadata that describes
menus, toolbars, and command groups from all VSPackages available."

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6a2fad.aspx

Please let us know if this works! --Sam
May 29 '07 #8
Ok, it worked and it didn't. I did exactly what your post said and it didn't work. The things aren't up in the menu. However, after finding out about that whole command line thing, I looked into and i can now rebuild through the command prompt. It's not perfect, but i'll take it for now. Thanks for your help. Any more ideas about actually getting the things in the menu though?
May 30 '07 #9
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
This question has also been posted in the .NET forum.

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread651350.html
May 30 '07 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Arlie Rahn | last post by:
Does anyone know of a way (using win32s perhaps) to eliminate that focus rectangle over the selected option you see in a normal VB combo box?
by: ac | last post by:
Hi, I have to customize a component (in this case Windows Media Player) so that a circular window is shown upon the player. That is, suppose you have a movie playing (in the ordinary rectangle...
by: drinc2much | last post by:
Let me just start out by saying that I am a Java webapp developer. I was pulled into rebuilding our intranet site. I have limited experience with what is the best method for structuring an intranet...
by: kaelin358 | last post by:
I need some advice on the best way to load data to a table while maintaining an index. I have a table that is very small at the moment but will have more than 70 million rows by the end of the...
by: Amos | last post by:
My Solution has three different projects: GUI, Api, Match. Project GUI includes a reference to Match.dll and Project Match includes a reference to Api.dll . Project Api doesn't include any...
by: andrei | last post by:
Hi Group, Environment: Windows 2000 Professional, VS.NET 2003 The solution has 30 projects (one main asp.net application and the rest are dlls) We have this annoying behaviour with our...
by: --== Alain ==-- | last post by:
Hi, I've created a Form just for testing purposes. on this form i have a custom control that i created. Every time that i update my custom control (dll file), my test form displays the...
by: Bartholomew Simpson | last post by:
Repost ... first post never appeared .... I'm working on a larg(ish) project which consist of about 800 files spread accross 37 modules. I have done a lot of major refactoring over the last...
by: Dave | last post by:
Does anyone have any idea why my 2005 solution is choosing to rebuild, everytime i execute any project within its space? There's nothing overly strange with the project assemblies within, a few...
by: esource | last post by:
We have a db that is accessed by users on the web 24/7. Problem is when our maintenace job runs users are getting killed with this error: Database Error: SQL Error #-2147217900 Transaction manager...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.