473,382 Members | 1,247 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,382 software developers and data experts.

Problem publishing a Transparent Gif / Png image with Flash 8.

Hi everyone :).
I quite new in Flash 8 professional edition and I'm trying to Publish a Gif / Png image.
I've selected the "Transparent" option in the Publish Settings for Gif but when I publish it, I see a solid white background and a slight grey background in PNG image. I want to put that gif image in my HTML page. I'm completely stuck.
Please help me publishing a GIF / PNG image with transparent background.

Thank you in advance :).

P.S. The steps I used to publish a gif / png image in Flash 8 are;
1- Just typed some teXt like Hello! World in Flash 8.
2- I resized the white background to match the size of the teXt I typed.
3- Saved the file (i.e. test.fla)
4- Clicked on Publish Settings and checked the GIF and PNG checkboxes.
5- In GIF tab (on Publish Settings dialog box) I selected "Transparent" from the Transparent selection box.

What am I missing?

My OS is Windows Xp with service pack 2 installed and I'm using Inetnet eXplorer 6.0.2900.
I've also asked this question on here
http://www.thescripts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2584189#post2584189
But a moderator told me to ask it here as-well... So I'm not posting the same question twice myself..

Waiting for the replies...
Thanks..
May 25 '07 #1
26 8838
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
when you open a new project, you must select "Transparent" and the background. then draw over it
May 25 '07 #2
when you open a new project, you must select "Transparent" and the background. then draw over it
Thanks for the reply. But I am very new to Flash 8. Please let me know the more detailed way because I don't know from where to select "TRANSPARENT" when I open a new project (I saw everywhere but couldn't find "Transparent" option anywhere).

If you meant to open a new project, and then open the publish settings (before drawing anything) and select "Transparent" in the GIF publish settings, press "OK" and then start drawing on the stage then I did try it. But again it publishes a GIF image with "White" background.

Please be kind enough to advice me a step-by-step process of Publish a Gif image with Transparent background...

Thanks..
May 26 '07 #3
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
i am terribly sorry about my earlier response, i accidentally opened up Photoshop instead of Flash.
May 26 '07 #4
That's okay.
Now can you please point me to the right direction before I start sending "I hate you" letters to Adobe :-D ? (Kidding)..
May 26 '07 #5
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
i know you can set teh background color in the <param> tags, you can just match that to your current background color? would that work for you?
May 27 '07 #6
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12701

search the page for Transparent - theres a section on that, let me know if its of any use
May 27 '07 #7
i know you can set teh background color in the <param> tags, you can just match that to your current background color? would that work for you?
Actually, I want to create a banner for my SMF (Simple Machine Forum). The theme I've installed is a multi colour theme (we can choose 12 colours in that theme). Each theme uses a different header image (as the header background). So there was no background colour. But I've started creating 12 banners now (because I couldn't make a transparent Gif image with Flash8".
The section link you posted didn't help (or may be I'm too dumb to search it) because I already searched it before registering in this forum.

Publishing a transparent GIF image was very easy in past Flash version (i.e. Flash 5 and Flash 7). Why is it that hard in Flash 8?
May 27 '07 #8
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
then our lives would be too easy, they cant have that
May 27 '07 #9
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
here we go, took me a while to remember this, but i found it
  1. go to publish settings
  2. go to the HTML Tab
  3. Click on the Windowed Mode Drop Down List
  4. Select Transparent Windowless
May 28 '07 #10
here we go, took me a while to remember this, but i found it
  1. go to publish settings
  2. go to the HTML Tab
  3. Click on the Windowed Mode Drop Down List
  4. Select Transparent Windowless
Thanks but the above said thing publishes a .SWF file and I can even manually make a .SWF file transparent with WMODE="Transparent" in HTML.
But may be I couldn't type an elaborative subject line of my topic.
Let me re-write it...
"Problem publishing a Transparent Gif / Png image with Flash 8"
May 30 '07 #11
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
The GIF publishing option also has a transparency option.
May 30 '07 #12
The GIF publishing option also has a transparency option.
And when I select it, it makes a SOLID WHITE BACKGROUND of that GIF.
May 30 '07 #13
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
Hi everyone :).
I quite new in Flash 8 professional edition and I'm trying to Publish a Gif / Png image.
I've selected the "Transparent" option in the Publish Settings for Gif but when I publish it, I see a solid white background and a slight grey background in PNG image. I want to put that gif image in my HTML page. I'm completely stuck.
Please help me publishing a GIF / PNG image with transparent background.

Thank you in advance :).

P.S. The steps I used to publish a gif / png image in Flash 8 are;
1- Just typed some teXt like Hello! World in Flash 8.
2- I resized the white background to match the size of the teXt I typed.
3- Saved the file (i.e. test.fla)
4- Clicked on Publish Settings and checked the GIF and PNG checkboxes.
5- In GIF tab (on Publish Settings dialog box) I selected "Transparent" from the Transparent selection box.

What am I missing?

My OS is Windows Xp with service pack 2 installed and I'm using Inetnet eXplorer 6.0.2900.
I've also asked this question on here
http://www.thescripts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2584189#post2584189
But a moderator told me to ask it here as-well... So I'm not posting the same question twice myself..

Waiting for the replies...
Thanks..
see if that helps you are not.
I don't have Flash 8 so I can not test it to see if this works or not
Do the same thing you did above.
When you publish for Gif.
I also selected Palette type: Adaptive.
I also have under Options check marks for Optimize Colors and Smooth.

nomad
May 31 '07 #14
When you publish for Gif.
I also selected Palette type: Adaptive.
I also have under Options check marks for Optimize Colors and Smooth.

nomad
I tried it, but no luck. Still got a solid white background the GIF I tried to publish.
Jun 1 '07 #15
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
I tried it, but no luck. Still got a solid white background the GIF I tried to publish.
You got me on this one.
If you can reload Flash version that worked. But it on another machine if you can.
I plan not to get Flash 8...

good luck
nomad
PS if you solve it let us know infact I would write an article on it.
I will still think about this one.
Jun 1 '07 #16
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
i have Flash 9, what versrion did you say worked?
Jun 1 '07 #17
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
i have Flash 9, what versrion did you say worked?
If you're talking to me Kestrel I have MX 2004 professional
if not sorry....

nomad
Jun 1 '07 #18
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
If you're talking to me Kestrel I have MX 2004 professional
if not sorry....

nomad
i was actually talking to Mr. Wild, but its fine
Jun 1 '07 #19
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
i was actually talking to Mr. Wild, but its fine
He posted that he has flash 8 in the headings...

nomad
I think he might need to reload the program.
It should work.
Jun 2 '07 #20
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
he said he has that, but a previous version worked, im trying to find that out
Jun 2 '07 #21
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
he said he has that, but a previous version worked, im trying to find that out
sorry about that one Kestrel....
I'm gone....
Jun 2 '07 #22
kestrel
1,071 Expert 1GB
no problemo my friend........
Jun 3 '07 #23
i have same problem
flash not publish transparent .gif via publish

but i have solution too:)

File -> Export -> Export Image -> (choose Name and .gif ) -> Save -> Transparent (here is the clue:) ) ->ok
Nov 20 '07 #24
i have same problem on flash 10... i made a pic a simple circle with black contour and white inside, 16x16 pixels.

i publish as gif and select transparent as bg instead of the default opaque and yet it puts a white bg on the pic. if i publish as png then its ok.

only solutions i can see so far, use png (too bad for ie6) or create your gif with GIMP
Oct 23 '10 #25
i tried the solution from alicecooper but the problem remains, it makes the pic but still puts a white bg behind it...
Oct 23 '10 #26
its kind of stupid flash costs like 2000$ and it just cant publish a gif with transparency (for like the 3 last versions apparently?).. GIMP is open source and it can... + flash keeps crashing firefox these days.. whats up with the people at flash!?!?!
Oct 23 '10 #27

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.