473,386 Members | 1,842 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

How to configure static ip PostgresSQL 8.1 for windows XP system

Dear All,
I have instaled PostgresSQL 8.2 in windows xp system.That windows xp system have a static ip.I already update that static ip in pg_hba.config files after stop start postgresql service.Still i can't connect the postgressql database from outside.How to solve this problem.Pls adice me.Advance thanks

With Kindly Regards
Siva
May 28 '07 #1
5 9427
michaelb
534 Expert 512MB
One common problem with connecting to the server is a firewall.

If this is not the case here, then check the database log for error messages and post the contents of pg_hba.conf here.
May 29 '07 #2
I think there is no firrewal problem.Because i can connect the system from oustside through remote destop and PCAnwhere software.

I put the setting ip in pg_hba.onfig file like this
host all all 202.153.125.184 255.255.255.0 md5.Pls advice where is the problem.Advance thanks to u

Kindly Regards
Siva
May 31 '07 #3
Here mentioned pg_hba.conf files.Can you find for have problem in pg_hba.conf files

# PostgreSQL Client Authentication Configuration File
# ================================================== =
#
# Refer to the PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide, chapter "Client
# Authentication" for a complete description. A short synopsis
# follows.
#
# This file controls: which hosts are allowed to connect, how clients
# are authenticated, which PostgreSQL user names they can use, which
# databases they can access. Records take one of these forms:
#
# local DATABASE USER METHOD [OPTION]
# host DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD [OPTION]
# hostssl DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD [OPTION]
# hostnossl DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD [OPTION]
#
# (The uppercase items must be replaced by actual values.)
#
# The first field is the connection type: "local" is a Unix-domain socket,
# "host" is either a plain or SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, "hostssl" is an
# SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, and "hostnossl" is a plain TCP/IP socket.
#
# DATABASE can be "all", "sameuser", "samerole", a database name, or
# a comma-separated list thereof.
#
# USER can be "all", a user name, a group name prefixed with "+", or
# a comma-separated list thereof. In both the DATABASE and USER fields
# you can also write a file name prefixed with "@" to include names from
# a separate file.
#
# CIDR-ADDRESS specifies the set of hosts the record matches.
# It is made up of an IP address and a CIDR mask that is an integer
# (between 0 and 32 (IPv4) or 128 (IPv6) inclusive) that specifies
# the number of significant bits in the mask. Alternatively, you can write
# an IP address and netmask in separate columns to specify the set of hosts.
#
# METHOD can be "trust", "reject", "md5", "crypt", "password",
# "krb5", "ident", or "pam". Note that "password" sends passwords
# in clear text; "md5" is preferred since it sends encrypted passwords.
#
# OPTION is the ident map or the name of the PAM service, depending on METHOD.
#
# Database and user names containing spaces, commas, quotes and other special
# characters must be quoted. Quoting one of the keywords "all", "sameuser" or
# "samerole" makes the name lose its special character, and just match a
# database or username with that name.
#
# This file is read on server startup and when the postmaster receives
# a SIGHUP signal. If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect. You can use
# "pg_ctl reload" to do that.

# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records. In that case you will also need to make PostgreSQL listen
# on a non-local interface via the listen_addresses configuration parameter,
# or via the -i or -h command line switches.
#

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 md5
local all all md5
host all all 202.153.125.187 255.255.255.0 md5

Advance Thanks to you.

Kindly Regards
Siva
Jun 2 '07 #4
Dear All,
Please reply my posting.Any body know about question.Still i am strugling i cannot connect the internet IP.Windows XP postgresSQL 8.1 server

KIndly Regards
Siva
Jun 4 '07 #5
michaelb
534 Expert 512MB
Siva, I can think of few things you need to look at.

You wrote:
I think there is no firewall problem. Because i can connect the system from
outside through remote desktop and PCAnywhere software.
Actually, this does not mean that you don't have a firewall problem.
Chances are remote desktop and PC Anywhere are allowed through the firewall, but the port used by Postgresql is blocked.
Look at the firewall logs, or temporarily disable firewall and test again.

Then, you have this entry in pg_hba.conf
host all all 202.153.125.187 255.255.255.0 md5
Please make sure that remote computer from which you attempt to connect has tcp address 202.153.125.187.
You can also try to temporarily replace 202.153.125.187 255.255.255.0 with 0.0.0.0/0 to allow connections from any remote host.
Keep in mind that in order to pick up changes to configuration files you either need to restart Postgres or execute pg_ctl reload

You also need to verify that your database server is configured to listen to remote requests.
Remote TCP/IP connections will not be possible unless the server is started with an appropriate value for the listen_addresses configuration parameter, since the default behavior is to listen for TCP/IP connections only on the local loopback address localhost.

Check on your server startup command line and postgresql.conf file and read this for more information.

Finally, you could probably make the whole debugging process much easier if you look at the database log. Failed connection attempts are typically logged there along with reason why they were rejected.
Jun 5 '07 #6

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.