473,320 Members | 2,122 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,320 developers and data experts.

Function to return Username (NT Login) of current user

MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
This function returns the username of the currently logged in NT User.

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. ' This library must be declared
  2. Declare Function GetUserName& _
  3.                      Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
  4.                      "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String,
  5.                                      nSize As Long)
  7. Function sys_OrigUserID() As String
  8. Dim s$, cnt&, dl&
  9. Dim max_String As Integer
  10. Dim username As String
  12.     max_String = 30
  13.     cnt& = 199
  14.     s$ = String$(max_String, 1)
  15.     dl& = GetUserName(s$, cnt)
  16.     username = Trim$(Left$(s$, cnt))
  17.     username = UCase(Mid(username, 1, Len(username) - 1))
  18.     sys_OrigUserID = username
  20. End Function
May 29 '07 #1
4 36147
nico5038
3,080 Expert 2GB
As an alternative you can use the Environ() function like:
  1. strUser = Environ("username")
This Environ() function can be used to extract all system variables like the computername, etc. as long as the variable has been defined and has been filled.

To get all available variables you can open the cmd window (Start / Run.. and enter the string "cmd") now by typing SET after the "C:>" prompt and pressing [Enter] all available variables (including the "username") will show and all of these can be extracted with this Environ() function. Keep however in mind that not all variables will be available on all computers...

Nic;o)
May 29 '07 #2
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Bear in mind also that the Environ() function will return whatever is in the Environment Variable "USERNAME". While this is set up with the username, there's nothing to stop it being changed within a session. If you're using this as part of a security feature then it's best to use GetUserName().
Nov 20 '07 #3
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
  1. Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" _
  2.     Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, _
  3.                           lpnSize As Long) As Long
  5. 'GetLogonName() determines the Account ID of the current user.
  6. Public Function GetLogonName() As String
  7.     Dim lngMax As Long
  8.     Dim strBuffer As String
  10.     lngMax = &HFF
  11.     strBuffer = String(lngMax, vbNullChar)
  12.     Call GetUserName(lpBuffer:=strBuffer, lpnSize:=lngMax)
  13.     GetLogonName = Trim(Left(strBuffer, lngMax - 1))
  14. End Function
Dec 26 '21 #4
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Although Mary's code will still work in 32 bit mode (If #If Win64 resolves to False but NOT if #If Win32 resolves to True as that one resolves to True in both 32 & 64 bit environments.) there are changes necessary to ensure it also works for 64 bit mode.

Notice this version no longer uses implicit type declaration characters as these are no longer recommended for serious code (Fine for knocking something up quickly to test hypotheses etc). It also makes life harder for you when trying to update code to work in new environments (such as 32 bit to 64 bit). Essentially it's less portable so not advisable.

This is one example that doesn't need compiler directives such as #If Win64 etc as it works perfectly in both environments.

In this case it may help to know, for line #12, that while lngMax is passed across as a simple Long value, strBuffer only has its address passed. This is handly as this will be four bytes of address in 32 bit mode but eight bytes in 64 bit. We don't have to worry about that though as both the calling and called code will be set to work the same way by the compiler.
Dec 26 '21 #5

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Rudolf Bargholz | last post by:
Hi, DB2 v7.1 FP3 on Windows 2003 I am trying to acheive the following: create trigger ADD_LHL after insert on MAINTABLE for each row mode db2sql insert into LOGTABLE
by: Jesper Stocholm | last post by:
I have implemented role-based security within my ASP.Net application. However, it seems the role is not passed to the authentication ticket I create. I want to use it to display/hide some...
by: Giovanni Bassi | last post by:
Hello Group, I using impersonation on my web app. I am explicitely setting the User with the identity element in the web.config like this: <identity impersonate="true" userName="MyUsr"...
by: Joe | last post by:
This may actually be an IIS configuration issue but any help would be appreciated. I'd like to display some content based upon who the current user is that is accessing an internal ASP.NET...
by: Leszek | last post by:
Hello! I have my webpage (ASP) in domain (IIS 6.0). I need to make a popup with fullname of current user. How can I do this? Maybe someone have any examples? Thanks!
by: D-Someone | last post by:
We have an active directory user that just had her username renamed. When the user is running an application that calls our CurrentUser web service method (which returns the value of...
by: ranju | last post by:
I am trying to spawn a process (say an exe file) with different user crendentials than that of the current user. 1) Called LogonUserEx() to logon the user and recieve a handle to the token that...
by: abhighat4214 | last post by:
Hello all, I wanted to know if there is a PHP function which could display the name of the user that is currently logged in? Also could PHP code access and execute WIN32 API functions ? Kindly guide...
by: =?Utf-8?B?QW50b25pbyBPJydOZWFs?= | last post by:
We changed a username in AD. The user now logs on to a computer on our network using the new username without any problems. They can not logon using the old username. However, when they access a...
by: hkeiner | last post by:
I have an Access 2003 MDB database that uses the "currentuser()" function extensively (in queries and macros) to control what a particular user can see and do. In Access 2007 (which no longer uses...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.