473,396 Members | 1,921 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,396 developers and data experts.

Stored Query vs SQL Statement

ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
One frequently asked question at TheScripts is "Should I use a Stored Query or an SQL Statement in those situations that require a Query (RecordSets, RecordSources, Append, Delete, Update Operations, etc.)?" The response, in virtually all but a few circumstances, is that you should use a Stored Query in place of the parallel SQL Statement. The brief explanation that follows will explain the reasoning behind this:
  1. When you store a Query as a Database Object, Access analyzes the Query and stores an optimized version.
  2. When you run a Stored Query, you are running a version of the Query that has already been optimized as explained in Item #1.
  3. Should you change a Query, Access will again analyze it the next time you run it and it will again store the newly optimized version. This optimization will persist until if, and when, you make another change to the Query.
  4. Each time you run an SQL Statement, Access analyzes the Statement and determines the optimal way to execute it.
  5. This 'Optimal Execution Path' is not stored internally for the SQL Statement as it is for its Stored Query counterpart.
  6. Because the analysis and optimization take time, the SQL Statement usually executes more slowly than the equivalent Stored Procedure.
Jun 3 '07 #1
0 9932

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: dinesh prasad | last post by:
I'm trying to use a servlet to process a form, then send that data to an SQL server stored procedure. I'm using the WebLogic 8 App. server. I am able to retrieve database information, so I know my...
by: Warren Wright | last post by:
Hi group, I have a select statement that if run against a 1 million record database directly in query analyzer takes less than 1 second. However, if I execute the select statement in a stored...
by: Nashat Wanly | last post by:
HOW TO: Call a Parameterized Stored Procedure by Using ADO.NET and Visual C# .NET View products that this article applies to. This article was previously published under Q310070 For a Microsoft...
by: Rhino | last post by:
I've written several Java stored procedures now (DB2 V7.2) and I'd like to write down a few "best practices" for reference so that I will have them handy for future development. Would the...
by: Sreeneet | last post by:
Hi all, I want to call a stored procedure which is written in SQL Server from an ms-access query. It is having some parameters also and the stored procedure will return some records. Is there...
by: Dino L. | last post by:
How can I run stored procedure (MSSQL) ?
by: JIM.H. | last post by:
Hello, Is there any difference to between SLQ string in the code and call execute query and call a stored procedure and execute the query that way concerning speed, effectiveness, reliability,...
by: Rajat Katyal | last post by:
Hi: I prepare the statement for execution as follows: PREPARE query(text) as SELECT count(*) FROM transform_customer_billing where inv_no = $1; The problem is Iam not able to execute this...
by: Siv | last post by:
Hi, I have a stored procedure that I want to execute and then wait in a loop showing a timer whilst it completes and then carry on once I get notification that it has completed. The main reason...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.