473,396 Members | 2,093 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,396 software developers and data experts.

MS Platform SDK Document Explorer causes fonts to change on a development machine

bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I run my monitor at 1280 X 1024. IE7 has a great look. I can't seem to find anything even close on Firefox.

PS The new site icon still hasn't loaded. Any suggestions?
Jun 7 '07 #1
18 2828
drhowarddrfine
7,435 Expert 4TB
The fonts are part of the OS. Windows displays the font. Firefox just calls it.
Jun 7 '07 #2
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
The fonts are part of the OS. Windows displays the font. Firefox just calls it.
Yeah. I've been at this computer thing for a while, now, doc... I'm just trying to set the font in Firefox to something that doesn't look like c**p on the screen. I have some favorites. FF seems to be doing a poor job of rendering them, for some reason. It's most apparent in Text Controls (bookmark tree widget looks great), but front page lists are also a bit bothersome.
Jun 7 '07 #3
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I run my monitor at 1280 X 1024. IE7 has a great look. I can't seem to find anything even close on Firefox.

For now, I have set "Minimum font size" to 14 and checked "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" for acceptable results. But it still looks a bit funky.
Jun 7 '07 #4
drhowarddrfine
7,435 Expert 4TB
Well, I don't understand what you are having problems with. Go to mozilla.org and search for about:config if you want to do some down and dirty customizing. I've never bothered with changing the fonts though a lot of people like the greasemonkey extension where you can do all kinds of stuff.
Jun 7 '07 #5
DeMan
1,806 1GB
Now that you mention it, it seems to have disappeared on my IE7.....
Jun 7 '07 #6
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Now that you mention it, it seems to have disappeared on my IE7.....
I've still got it in IE7.

No joy getting FF to darken the font to more like what I'm used to, though.
Jun 7 '07 #7
DeMan
1,806 1GB
maybe my work one never had it........
Jun 7 '07 #8
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Try clearing the cache. I had to do that to get it to change.
Jun 7 '07 #9
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Try clearing the cache. I had to do that to get it to change.
Found it. Cleared it. Got Icon. Thanks.
Jun 8 '07 #10
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
Found it. Cleared it. Got Icon. Thanks.
No problem
Jun 8 '07 #11
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Well, I don't understand what you are having problems with. Go to mozilla.org and search for about:config if you want to do some down and dirty customizing. I've never bothered with changing the fonts though a lot of people like the greasemonkey extension where you can do all kinds of stuff.
I think that I might have had Cute Classic turned on. Every thing looks pretty good now. Serves me right for playing around with in months ago and coming back.
Jun 8 '07 #12
debasisdas
8,127 Expert 4TB
I didt had to do anything.

Everything works fine by of its own.
Jun 8 '07 #13
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I take back everything good that I have ever said about IE7.
Firefox is a truly great piece of software. (Now if I can only get my wife to switch - oh, well; two out of three machines is a good start.)
Jun 11 '07 #14
how do you get fire fox on to ur pc
Jun 12 '07 #15
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
how do you get fire fox on to ur pc
Firefox .
Jun 12 '07 #16
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I didt had to do anything.

Everything works fine by of its own.
I tracked down an odd font interaction between Visual Studio's Document Explorer font size setting and the rest of my system. It was most apparent when reading .chm files in hh.exe where font size was increased by some huge degree. Other apps (including my Python IDE) all got slightly smaller fonts. Once I went into VSDE and set the font to normal, all was well.

I've search the web for others with this problem, but came up empty. Perhaps someone, someday will find this post and solve this most mysterious problem (which, now, looks like a topic for the Windows Forum)... Hmmm... what to do?
Jun 25 '07 #17
Atli
5,058 Expert 4TB
I always had a problem with fonts in FireFox. They all looked grainy and I could practicly see the pixels, which made it very ugly.
IE7 has some feature that smooths the fonts and makes them look awesome! So I used to stick with IE7.

Unitll I found this ClearType thing. Now all fonts on my PC look awsome!

Now I use a small app that picks a random browser, and they all look great! :)
Jun 27 '07 #18
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I always had a problem with fonts in FireFox. They all looked grainy and I could practicly see the pixels, which made it very ugly.
IE7 has some feature that smooths the fonts and makes them look awesome! So I used to stick with IE7.

Unitll I found this ClearType thing. Now all fonts on my PC look awsome!

Now I use a small app that picks a random browser, and they all look great! :)
Thanks Atli. That's a great tip. Understand, though, that I have cleartype turned on already.
Jun 27 '07 #19

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.