473,408 Members | 1,734 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

%SystemDrive% folder

Huh? My son was playing Neopets on the internet. When I came back to the computer, a folder named '%SystemDrive%' had appeared on my Desktop. Where should it go, what's the default location for this file? D'ya think he dragged it from somewhere by accident, or what? I've looked around the internet, got the impression it's a "page file"? But not enough info to give me the confidence to just move it. This is on an HP laptop running XP home, so far the computer is still running normally.

Thanks!.... JT
Jun 20 '07 #1
16 62711
DeMan
1,806 1GB
Hi seeyuh,

For now, I'll move you to the windows forum, and hopefully the experts there may have seen this problem before.

Hope they can help you out!
Jun 20 '07 #2
Huh? My son was playing Neopets on the internet. When I came back to the computer, a folder named '%SystemDrive%' had appeared on my Desktop. Where should it go, what's the default location for this file? D'ya think he dragged it from somewhere by accident, or what? I've looked around the internet, got the impression it's a "page file"? But not enough info to give me the confidence to just move it. This is on an HP laptop running XP home, so far the computer is still running normally.

Thanks!.... JT
Hi,

%SystemDrive% is a System path variable in Microsoft Windows.
These variables refer to locations of critical operating system resources, and as such generally are not user-dependent.

The %SystemDrive% variable is a special system-wide environment variable found on Microsoft Windows NT and its derivatives. Its value is the drive upon which the system folder was placed.

The value of %SystemDrive% is in most cases C:. The system drive cannot be altered once the operating system is running.
Jun 20 '07 #3
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB

Thanks!.... JT
Is there anything in it?
Jun 20 '07 #4
When you open the folder by double clicking it, what does it say in the address bar? Or right click - properties, what does it say on location?
Jun 20 '07 #5
epots9
1,351 Expert 1GB

Thanks!.... JT
%SystemDrive% is just a link to your C: drive. if u type it in run or in your address bar it will always bring u to your C: drive. if its a folder and not a shortcut with just the name "%SystemDrive%" most likely it should be empty or give u an error if u try and open it.
Jun 20 '07 #6
pbmods
5,821 Expert 4TB
My guess is somewhere in a script, there was a reference to '%SystemDrive%', but it wasn't parsed properly, so instead of creating a folder in your System Drive, it created an oddly-named folder on your Desktop.
Jun 20 '07 #7
seeyuh
Nothing is in it, but goes down thru a series of subfolders: licences, etc. It had "0 bytes."

But!
I ran a 'system restore' to the day before, and poof it's gone.
[so I don't remember the subfolders, was alot of 'em.]

but- why, how, and where?

I am not a computer guy, so I was wondering where it came from, and how to fix it...
Luckily, now its an intellectual exercise.

Thank you very much for your input. I'll keep watching.
Jun 21 '07 #8
seeyuh
Thank you again for all your advice. JT
Jun 26 '07 #9
Hi
I had a very similar problem, a folder %systemdrive% appeared on my desktop during a phase of uninstalling rarely used programs I was going through. Only inside the folder was another bearing an administrator of my computers name, inside a folder: "Application Data" opening that led to a folder named "Microsoft" opens again to two folders called "CryptnetUrlCache" and "SystemCertificates". Each of these opened again to folders called "MetaData" / "Content" and "My" respectively, Inside the "My" folder were three called "Certificates" "CTLs" and "CRLs" and inside the Metadata....were three important looking system files. Numbers I can provide you with on request, Inside "Content" were 3 similar system files and inside the three folders named "Certificates"/"CTLs" and "CRLs" .........well nothing.
I have defragged, run disk cleanup and run a system registry cleaner but the folder is still there, I realise from trawling google blog links that it has proven a common occurrence and I am convinced it was simply dumped there after uninstalling a system environment variable dependant piece of software (such as a media player or some such) however I am loathe to ever delete system files. I have saved a Hijack-This logfile dating from the appearance of the folder, I have since moved it to a nice inoffensive location and hope that it will behave itself although some more professional or mature solution would be appreciated
Jul 6 '07 #10
This %SystemDrive% folder appeared on my laptop also, out of nowhere, as the above persons described. The folder is exactly as the last person wrote, and I have no idea as to what it is for. I don't know how or why this folder appeared. Can this be removed without destroying my computer? Where would I go to remove this folder? Any help would be appreciated, since I'm just a retired secretary, using my computer to communicate with my grandchildren and family. Thanks.
Sep 1 '07 #11
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
This %SystemDrive% folder appeared on my laptop also, out of nowhere, as the above persons described. The folder is exactly as the last person wrote, and I have no idea as to what it is for. I don't know how or why this folder appeared. Can this be removed without destroying my computer? Where would I go to remove this folder? Any help would be appreciated, since I'm just a retired secretary, using my computer to communicate with my grandchildren and family. Thanks.
Is there, by any chance, a file in that folder with something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\M4C\Desktop \%SystemDrive%\Documents and
Settings\M4C\Program Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache

inside that folder?
Sep 1 '07 #12
Reply: This is what is included in the folder and each folder under:

%SystemDrive%
Documents and Settngs
Owner.YOUR-5F6..... (string of numbers)
Application Data
Microsoft
CryptnetUrlCache
Content
MetaData
Crypto
RSA
S-1-5-21-27........... (string of numbers)
System Certificates
My
Certificates
CRLs
CTLs

Properties of %SystemDrive%
Size: 59.1 KB (60,561 bytes)
Size on disk: 72.0 KB
Contains: 4 files, 15 folders

Attributes: Read Only

*****Created: Moday, August 13, 2007, 8:02:57 PM

*** I don't know how this got here.****

Thank you SO much for your response... :)

Is there, by any chance, a file in that folder with something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\M4C\Desktop \%SystemDrive%\Documents and
Settings\M4C\Program Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache

inside that folder?
Sep 1 '07 #13
Note regarding the %SystemDrive% folder.... it was also on my desktop, and I cleaned up my desktop icons, deleted that icon, and now the folder is gone from my Windows Explorer "tree" of subfolders. Now I'm totally confused.
Thanks.
Sep 1 '07 #14
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Note regarding the %SystemDrive% folder.... it was also on my desktop, and I cleaned up my desktop icons, deleted that icon, and now the folder is gone from my Windows Explorer "tree" of subfolders. Now I'm totally confused.
Thanks.
The "Desktop" is actually just another folder in the "tree". As in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Desktop
So deleting for the visible "desktop" deletes from that folder.

That's why everyone seems to be reluctant to say "just delete it from the desktop".
But, do let us know whether or not any problems are caused by the lack of that folder (which is probably still in your recycle bin if you really need it back).
Sep 1 '07 #15
I've never actually had a problem with that folder, other than to wonder where it came from, and was it something to worry about. I wonder how these "bugs" as I call them, get into my computer, with a firewall & diligent scans and virus protections run every week.

Thank you for your responses! I love this site!
Sep 2 '07 #16
The afore-mentioned folder appeared after I uninstalled a trial version of Office 2007. This is on a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T61p running XP Pro. I deleted the folder. I'll let you know what happens.
Aug 15 '08 #17

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.