473,466 Members | 1,455 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Create Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

How to Fix Double Click Always Opens Search in Windows Explorer

6 New Member
i tried to change the file folder icon under Tools - Folder Options - File Types

i din change anything else, i was jus chose file folder and change the icon and apply... but smt wrong occured which is i cant double click o open my all folders anymore now, when right click, it is how it show in the attached pic

when i double click, it goes to Search

i thought it can be fixed in regedit?
if cant solve the prob, i have to format my system :'(

Jun 25 '07 #1
15 13288
bartonc
6,596 Recognized Expert Expert
In Tools menu | Folder Options, on the File Types tab, select "Folder" and click Advanced. In there is a list of "Actions". If "explore" is in the list, select it instead of "search" and click the Set Default button. If it is not in the list, click the New... button. Type "explore" into the Action field then Browse... to Window/explorer.exe and click OK. Now select "explore" and click the Set Default button.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks for joining.
Jun 25 '07 #2
averynkh
6 New Member
In Tools menu | Folder Options, on the File Types tab, select "Folder" and click Advanced. In there is a list of "Actions". If "explore" is in the list, select it instead of "search" and click the Set Default button. If it is not in the list, click the New... button. Type "explore" into the Action field then Browse... to Window/explorer.exe and click OK. Now select "explore" and click the Set Default button.

Thanks for joining.

hi, thanks for replied, i changed wat u have told in FOLDER but no effect

then i selected the File Folder which is that one i changed its icon
i choose window/explore.exe too, it works but it opens new window everytime... how to solve it like defualt? (b4 i changed my icon :'()

thanks....
Jun 25 '07 #3
bartonc
hi, thanks for replied, i changed wat u have told in FOLDER but no effect

then i selected the File Folder which is that one i changed its icon
i choose window/explore.exe too, it works but it opens new window everytime... how to solve it like defualt? (b4 i changed my icon :'()

thanks....
Use the Set Default button on that one too.
Jun 25 '07 #4
averynkh
6 New Member
Use the Set Default button on that one too.
yeah i did jsut now, now every double click, it goes to new window
Jun 25 '07 #5
epots9
1,351 Recognized Expert Top Contributor
try performing a system restore to the day before or if its there the day of (just before u made your changes).

good luck
Jun 25 '07 #6
bartonc
yeah i did jsut now, now every double click, it goes to new window
Folder Options | General tab: Select "Open each folder in the same window".
Jun 25 '07 #7
averynkh
6 New Member
Folder Options | General tab: Select "Open each folder in the same window".
tid option is always on... i tried to off and on again
it is still pop new window

i am trying system restore now..
i am hoping it works back to normal later on...

haiz...
Jun 26 '07 #8
averynkh
6 New Member
un fortunately, aftert system restore still the same
i think either change the regedit or format !!!!
so poor...
Jun 26 '07 #9
bartonc
tid option is always on... i tried to off and on again
it is still pop new window

i am trying system restore now..
i am hoping it works back to normal later on...

haiz...
Ya know; I'm having the same problem now. I'll investigate further.
Jun 26 '07 #10
averynkh
6 New Member
Ya know; I'm having the same problem now. I'll investigate further.
so no pp could fix tis prob?
Jun 30 '07 #11
bartonc
so no pp could fix tis prob?
Nope. I've looked in the registry, but could not find it. I've played with the settings until my mouse and was quite sore; still no luck. Perhaps somebody else will have the fix.
Jun 30 '07 #12
baanicol
1 New Member
Nope. I've looked in the registry, but could not find it. I've played with the settings until my mouse and was quite sore; still no luck. Perhaps somebody else will have the fix.
try http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-explorer/
Jul 1 '07 #13
bartonc
try http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-explorer/
Thanks baanicol. That looks like it could work. I'll try it.

<Mod note: I've checked the link and it does not seem to compete, as they don't ask members to join. If another mod has a different opinion, please let me know.>
Jul 1 '07 #14
bartonc
Thanks baanicol. That looks like it could work. I'll try it.

<Mod note: I've checked the link and it does not seem to compete, as they don't ask members to join. If another mod has a different opinion, please let me know.>
Besides that, it works!
Jul 1 '07 #15
3dots
1 New Member

Thanks for joining.

this works on internal drive.
Jan 26 '08 #16

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.