473,418 Members | 1,764 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,418 software developers and data experts.

How can I keep my site's newsletter out of SPAM folders?

hello
I'm designing a newsletter for my site and I gonna send my newsletters using mail() function.
I want each user that receives newsletter be able to see just his email address in "TO" field and I wanna hide the other users.
I know that it's not a correct way to repeat mail() function for each single newsletter user but when I use BCC header my emails will go to SPAM folders!

Please guide me how to use headers to send my newsletter out of Spam folders.
Thanks
Jul 9 '07 #1
3 3355
pbmods
5,821 Expert 4TB
Heya, neopersia. Welcome to TSDN!

Your site's newsletter is going to SPAM boxes 'cause it looks an awful lot like spam to modern email clients! There's very little you can do about this (would you want REAL spammers to be able to fool spam filters so easily?). But there's a lot that your Users can do.

First off, tell your Users to look for it in their spam box the first time around. Usually, if you move a message out of your spam mailbox, the email app is smart enough to figure out that the next one is probably not spam.

Another factor that helps is getting your Users to add the From email address to their address books, which a lot of spam filters will check with before marking a message as spam.

If your server can support the load, try sending out one email per User so that you can put the User's email address in the To header instead of BCC. If you do this, also try to address the message to the User's full name:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. $to = "\"$firstname $lastname\" <$email>";
  2. mail($to ... );
Mac OS X's junk mail filter is less likely to mark the message as spam if you know the User's full name. I'm sure it's not the only one.
Jul 9 '07 #2
kovik
1,044 Expert 1GB
SwiftMailer, an open-source, flexible, object-oriented alternative to PHP's native mail(), provides documentation on legitimately lowering the chances of being considered spam.
Jul 9 '07 #3
nitinpatel1117
111 100+
Yes, the best way to send emails is to do them separatly, i.e. one for each person, rather than BCC everyone. just put the code in a loop and send to each person by looping through the list of email addresses.

yes it will increase load on your system, so if you want to stop that, the best thing to do is to put a 1 sec paused in the loop, after sending each email. i do it through header reloads.

Also, spam filters usually block emails depending on the subject of the email, the ‘from’ address or the content of the actual email.

also they look at the from adddress and the return address, and sometimes make decisions on this as well. (i.e. if it is different)

Anyway here’s a link to words that usually get blocked by spam filters.

http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt8/spamfilter_phrases.htm
http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/ezi...m_filters.html

try to aviod these terms in the subject and main content of email.
Jul 9 '07 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: cooldv | last post by:
i have an *access database + ASP newsletter* that is working fine and it sends newsletter to ALL the email addresses in the DB. i want to send this newsletter to only a select group (like people...
by: Fahad | last post by:
I want to build a system that sends formated HTML newsletter. Like the one we recevive from microsoft. How do we include the whole page with the pictures and style in an e-mail I am using CDOSY ...
by: -DRB- | last post by:
Hi all, Off topic... not sure - apologies if so - but I know you guys/gals will be able to help! I would like to set up a subscribe/unsubscribe newsletter service from the website. I've done...
by: Wim Hoogenraad | last post by:
Dear Webprofessional, In this newsletter we like to inform you about some developments on our website. First of all we would like to thank you who joined WebmastersLookup. Without the...
by: Kevin Lawrence | last post by:
Hi all I was wondering if there were any guidlines to follow before a publishing a site out in the www. I'm most concerned about security, I can ensure the data is secure over HTTPS and i can...
by: Eric | last post by:
We've got a fairly large legacy ASP site, consiting of one main website with a lot of sub-folders organized in a tree under the main site. We don't use IIS Application/Virtual directories other...
by: AG | last post by:
Using VS2005 Pro. I just deployed a ASP.NET 2.0 website (not web application) with the option to make it updatable. VS deployed all aspx, ascx files, but not all image or html files. It also...
by: ginoplusio | last post by:
Hi, I'm developing a software to send newsletter to the users of my website. I have a problem on the stats, detecting the opening of the newsletter on the user's client. The method I've chosen...
by: alqui | last post by:
Hi, I'm actually trying to resolve a simple problem. I'm trying to build my Web site. The structure of the Web site looks like that : /Element /Element/App_Code /Element/Admin...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.