473,396 Members | 2,154 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,396 software developers and data experts.

Windows Form Application Variable Question

I have a class called User. I want to make a User object called myUser that can be access able to both windows forms that i have create. I have main.cpp which calls the creation of the first form
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Application::Run(gcnew Form1());
but i can't seem to access the Form1 object it creates. I also tried making a User object in the forms but i got this error
  1.      private: User myUser;
  1.   error C4368: cannot define 'myUser' as a member of managed 'myProject::w_Name': mixed types are not supported 
How do i define variables in the visual c++ forms and execute functions outside of their headers.
Jul 12 '07 #1
15 2350
weaknessforcats
9,208 Expert Mod 8TB
This looks like C#.

Moving this to the .NET forum.
Jul 12 '07 #2
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
This looks like C#.

Moving this to the .NET forum.
It's C++, but probably .NET constructs
Jul 12 '07 #3
kief12
It's C++, but probably .NET constructs
Yeah i am using c++ this is my first time using a gui for c++ so i am lost and confused on what to use. I follow a guide that had me using the windows form application in visual c++. Which brought me here
Jul 13 '07 #4
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
I have a class called User. I want to make a User object called myUser that can be access able to both windows forms that i have create. I have main.cpp which calls the creation of the first form
  1. Application::Run(gcnew Form1());
but i can't seem to access the Form1 object it creates. I also tried making a User object in the forms but i got this error
  1.      private: User myUser;
  1.   error C4368: cannot define 'myUser' as a member of managed 'myProject::w_Name': mixed types are not supported 
How do i define variables in the visual c++ forms and execute functions outside of their headers.

Try

1. private:
  2.      User ^myUser;
Jul 13 '07 #5
kief12
Try

1. private:
  2.      User ^myUser;
Private: User *myUSer;

Worked thank you

If i wanted to access myUser in the main window of my application from the main function how would i do it?
Jul 13 '07 #6
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
Private: User *myUSer;

Worked thank you

If i wanted to access myUser in the main window of my application from the main function how would i do it?

That is declaring a native pointer, where as with ^ it is within the garbage collection.
Jul 13 '07 #7
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
One of my favorite books has this table describing this

Operator:
Stack / Native Heap
Managed Heap

Address:
&
%

Pointer declaration:
^

Dereference:

Example:
Static/Native Heap
value struct V{ int i; };
V v;
V * pV = &v; v.i;
pV->i;

Managed Heap
ref struct R{ int i; };
R ^r1 = gcnew R();
R ^r2 = %(*r1);
R r;
R ^r3 = %r;
r1->i;
(*r2).i;
Jul 13 '07 #8
kief12
That is declaring a native pointer, where as with ^ it is within the garbage collection.
  1. w_Name.h(36) : error C3699: '^' : cannot use this indirection on type 'User'
  2.         compiler replacing '^' with '*' to continue parsing'
Will not let me use ^
Jul 13 '07 #9
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
  1. w_Name.h(36) : error C3699: '^' : cannot use this indirection on type 'User'
  2.         compiler replacing '^' with '*' to continue parsing'
Will not let me use ^
How is User declared?
Jul 13 '07 #10
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
How is User declared?
  1. public class User { .. };
will not work.

You need either

1. public value class User { ... };
or

1. public ref class User { .. };
Jul 13 '07 #11
kief12
if the main form window is created using Application::Run(gcnew Form1()); Who would i run the function lets say myRandomFunction() in Form1.h from a different window or the
  1. int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
Jul 13 '07 #12
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
if the main form window is created using Application::Run(gcnew Form1()); Who would i run the function lets say myRandomFunction() in Form1.h from a different window or the
  1. int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)

1. public ref class Form1
  2. {
  3. private:
  4.    ...
  5. public:
  6.    Form1();
  7.    myRandomFunction();
  8. };
Declaring it like that should make it accessible else where.
Jul 17 '07 #13
sawpit
  1. public ref class Form1
  2. {
  3. private:
  4.    ...
  5. public:
  6.    Form1();
  7.    myRandomFunction();
  8. };
Declaring it like that should make it accessible else where.
A newbee here. Can you give an example of the code that would call myRandomFunction()? How do you get a reference to Form1 elsewhere, given that the form is gcnew'd directly to Run()? Thanks.
Aug 2 '07 #14
TRScheel
638 Expert 512MB
A newbee here. Can you give an example of the code that would call myRandomFunction()? How do you get a reference to Form1 elsewhere, given that the form is gcnew'd directly to Run()? Thanks.
Dont gcnew it in the Run function, thats the only way that I know of. Although, someone might be able to extract it from the Application object.
Aug 3 '07 #15
sawpit
Dont gcnew it in the Run function, thats the only way that I know of. Although, someone might be able to extract it from the Application object.
Thanks for the info.
Aug 3 '07 #16

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.