473,385 Members | 1,582 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,385 developers and data experts.

Dealing with USB flash drive issues

Chrisjc
375 256MB
<Excerpted from this thread>

All of these questions and answers are great. But it comes down to this I have seen this more than enough times to know better...

From my experience at home and as an IT in an office with well over 900 computers to look after I maybe get this question up to 3 times in a week... sadly

I suspect that if you remove your FLASH drive with out safely disconnecting it the next PC will not recognize it for the soul porpoise that it was transferring data and needed to finish... and the computer did not say “Okay its safe to let go"

So in many cases I have seen in this thread that you all suggest going to "Manage" in XP by doing so "Right click My Computer > Manage" and then once in there by going to "Storage > Disk Management" You will see all available drives that XP will see thus your PC... Now there are 3 possible issues...

ONE: If you see you’re FLASH DRIVE LETTER but you don’t see it as an open able file or DRIVE in My Computer the case of this is because the last PC it was working on it was still transferring data and did not close correctly and must be REFORMATED. Or taken back to that last PC open it and transfer something the safely remove it and try again at another PC. <<<< THIS IS ALMOST ALL MY CASES

TWO: If you don’t see it in the Disk Management you’re FLASH drive is either JUNK or you do not have the correct drivers installed to run it... I.E. some flash drives won’t work unless it’s USB 2.0

And

THREE: If you do not see anything at all in disk management and or inserting the FLASH in your USE such as the connected window that comes up in your TASK bar then your USB port might be broken TRY a new PORT.

These are the only issues I ever check and sure enough I always find and fix the issue and it is always one of those 3…

I hope this helps some of your guys understand that every answer in this thread is correct! Just need to single out WHY and which reason is your FLASH doing this.
Jul 25 '07 #1
0 12416

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: will.leighton | last post by:
I am working on concept where I want to deliver web-based content and functionality from a USB Flash drive for users who don't have access to the Internet. The functionality includes personaliztion...
by: Dustin Davis | last post by:
This might be a pipe dream, but here goes... I'm writing an application many users will be working on and saving files to USB flash drives. When they click the save button, I would like to have...
by: Putty | last post by:
Is there such a thing as a special version of python that I can run more efficiently from a flash drive? I'll be at college for hours every day with hours of free time for the next few months, but...
by: Richard Carpenter | last post by:
My wife and I share a laptop. When she is using it, I must do my development on my PC. I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on both, but the instances are named differently. Therefore, I need...
by: manontheedge | last post by:
I've got several flash drives, but I'm having issues with one of them. I'm using Windows XP. I connect it, then get that message that "new hardware is found", but when I go to the drive, I get a...
by: ryancol | last post by:
I have a couple usb 2.0 flash drives. I use them on either windows 2000 or windows XP. When I copy (drag and drop) a file folder to them such as a file folder with like 10 or 20 pictures in it the...
by: Salad | last post by:
I was asked to get my daughter a flash drive. She needs to use it to copy files to it so she can transfer the files at school to her desktop at home. I've never used one but I figure some of...
by: Daffydd | last post by:
Hi all, This one's driving me up a wall! We have a small office network, Windows SBS 2003, nothing fancy - recently upgraded from an old Compaq running Novell. Back in the day we used the "F"...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.