473,425 Members | 1,714 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,425 software developers and data experts.

Receiving data from serial port

Hello;
I'm having a problem with receiving data from serial port. There's an eventhandler(datareceived) and I'm monitoring the answer from the serial port to a text box in the eventhandler. There's no problem till here. But also I want to use the incoming data to process it in some functions. But when I assign the incoming string(from the ReadExisting() function) to a local variable there are always lots of characters missing. How do I solve this problem? The code is below:

private void port_DataReceived_1(object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
{
InputData = port.ReadExisting();
OutputData = InputData;
Log(InputData);
}

private void Log(string msg)
{
rtfTerminal.Invoke(new EventHandler(delegate
{
rtfTerminal.SelectedText = string.Empty;
rtfTerminal.AppendText(msg);
rtfTerminal.ScrollToCaret();

}));
}
The problem continues if I write "OutputData = InputData;" in the invoke code.
I'm waiting for your help.
Jul 30 '07 #1
8 16486
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
The characters are missing because you are either not reading as fast as they are being sent and the buffer overflows OR your program is taking too long to do things and is missing the bytes.
rs232 is tricky buisness.
Try to limit what you do in that eventhandler to almost nothing. Your results should be better.
Jul 30 '07 #2
okay that may be the problem. but when I don't call the invoke method for the texbox or the other controls, there are still missing characters. So the invoke method brings the control back to the thread to what it was created from, then all the characters are shown in the textbox. Is there any method like invoke() for the variables(string,char[]) to call the threads which they were created from?
Jul 30 '07 #3
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
I wrote a terminal program once (and have since specialized it) but Here's what I used:

My eventhandler
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. private void sp1_DataReceived(object sender, System.IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
  2.         {
  3.             dataready = true;
  4.         }
And then I had the following function and helper function:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. System.IO.Ports.SerialPort sp1;
  2. private string GetData()
  3. {
  4.     string retval = "";
  5.     wantingdata = true;
  7.     //attempt to wait for the dataready signal
  8.     DateTime Endwith = DateTime.Now.AddMilliseconds(READ_TIMEOUTMS);
  9.     while ((!dataready)&&(Endwith.CompareTo(DateTime.Now)>0))
  10.     {
  11.     }
  12.     if (!dataready)
  13.     {
  14.         return "Timed out!";
  15.     }
  17.     //only allow READ_TIMEOUTMS worth of miliseconds for reading
  18.     //i actually recomend this be redone so that each character read will reset the timeout value
  19.     Endwith = DateTime.Now.AddMilliseconds(READ_TIMEOUTMS);
  20.     //Now start reading data
  21.     retval = ReadSPData();
  22.     //I was searching for the '\r' character to determine when to stop reading
  23.     while ((retval.IndexOf('\r') == -1) && (Endwith.CompareTo(DateTime.Now) > 0))
  24.     {
  25.         retval += ReadSPData();
  26.     }
  28.     wantingdata = false;
  29.     if (retval.IndexOf('\r') > -1)
  30.     {
  31.         if (retval != "")//make sure I don;t have any garbage after that '\r'
  32.             retval = retval.Split("\r".ToCharArray(), StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries)[0];
  33.         return retval.Trim();
  34.     }
  35.     else
  36.     {
  37.         return "Timed out!";//Not the most descriptive, but I didn't get a '\r' before my READ_TIMEOUTMS value was reached 
  38.     }
  39. }
  41. private string ReadSPData()
  42. {
  43.     string retval = "";
  44.     try
  45.     {
  46.         if (dataready)
  47.         {
  48.         retval += sp1.ReadExisting();
  49.         dataready = false;
  50.         }
  51.     }
  52.     catch (Exception ee)
  53.     {
  54.         EAlert(ee, "Reading SerialPort Data");
  55.     }
  56.     return retval;
  57. }
I've never had trouble with dropping data, but I never sent massive amount at once either.
Jul 30 '07 #4
There' s still problem in reading data. I am using a datareceived event to show the retunrning values in a textbox. I need to do that and I do. But also I need to assign the answer from the serial port to use it later in some functions. For example some answers starts with "[A1]" so I don't need to assign the answer to a string; but I want to assign the answer from the serial port to a string when it returns "[A4]"+ 16 bytes of data. Also I'm using VS.NET 2005 and there's no reading method including a parameter of timeout. I'm still waiting for help.
Jul 31 '07 #5
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
Right, if you look at my data recieved, you'll see I only set a bit in there. Thats because if I did anything else, I was dropping characters.
Modify my read functions to run continuously in another thread or something?
Jul 31 '07 #6
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
Is this a command and response situation?
Like does it only send data to you after you send a command?
If so, that makes it immensly easier.
Jul 31 '07 #7
nmsreddi
366 256MB
Is this a command and response situation?
Like does it only send data to you after you send a command?
If so, that makes it immensly easier.
Hello

In your code you are using

port.ReadExisting();

which indicates ,your application will read the data that present at that particular instance of time only ,there may be cases that all the data may not be reached to the port while your reads the existing data,

better try to stop your thread for a particular amount of time
so that you can read the complete data that exist in port buffer

use this slleep before your port.readexisting()

Thread.Sleep(choose some amount of time );

try it out this worksfor you

GoodLuck
Aug 1 '07 #8
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
my readexisting is in a loop.
It will keep reading until it is told to stop (i tell it to stop when it reads a '\r')

As I've said, I don't have any trouble with dropped characters with this solution.
Aug 1 '07 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.