473,388 Members | 1,330 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,388 software developers and data experts.

Instant Messaging System

Can someone please tell me how to create a Instanstant messenger. and how to get started please. the is serious
Jul 30 '07 #1
12 2889
r035198x
13,262 8TB
Can someone please tell me how to create a Instanstant messenger. and how to get started please. the is serious
Do you want to make your own chat software or do you want to create an IM account to chat with your buddies?
Jul 30 '07 #2
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Why did you post this in the C/C++ forum as well? What do you want to create and how?

kind regards,

Jos
Jul 30 '07 #3
Do you want to make your own chat software or do you want to create an IM account to chat with your buddies?
I am posting exactly what I have to do ok. I truly and greatly appreciate this.

Group Instant Messenger (GIM)
The aims of this project include
• Practice the use of threads, sockets, and semaphore
• Get deeper understanding of distributed process/thread cooperation, communication protocol design and so on.

You will implement a simple, client-server Group Instant Messenger (GIM) system. You may use C/C++, Java on either Linux/UNIX or Windows. You may hunt for any source code or documents useful by Google. However, when you use them directly in coding, please give the references in comments.

Compulsory features:
1. Multiple clients real-time chatting
o A user can invite other on-line users to join the group chatting.
o A user automatically joins the group chatting if the other side is chatting with somebody else
2. Client registration (to get an account) and deregistration (to terminate an account)
3. Friend sign-in and sign-out indications (required for graduate students)
o The client can only chat with friends. In group chatting, the message sent to the group can only be received by the sender’s friends.
4. Login and password management (required for graduate students)

Optional features:
1. GUI: A graphical user interface instead text-based.
2. File sharing: Send files to other client(s).
3. Offline messages: When the user is offline, another user can still message her. The next time when she logins, the messages will be displayed.

If your group would like to implement other optional features that are not listed above, you have to include all these optional features before adding others to it.

Help is definitely needed. I need to present this in September in order to graduate. Thanks your the best if you can help
Jul 30 '07 #4
Why did you post this in the C/C++ forum as well? What do you want to create and how?

kind regards,

Jos
This is my assignment exactly:
• Get deeper understanding of distributed process/thread cooperation, communication protocol design and so on.

You will implement a simple, client-server Group Instant Messenger (GIM) system. You may use C/C++, Java on either Linux/UNIX or Windows. You may hunt for any source code or documents useful by Google. However, when you use them directly in coding, please give the references in comments.

Compulsory features:
o A user automatically joins the group chatting if the other side is chatting with somebody else
2. Client registration (to get an account) and deregistration (to terminate an account)
o The client can only chat with friends. In group chatting, the message sent to the group can only be received by the sender’s friends.

Optional features:
3. Offline messages: When the user is offline, another user can still message her. The next time when she logins, the messages will be displayed.

If your group would like to implement other optional features that are not listed above, you have to include all these optional features before adding others to it.
Jul 30 '07 #5
r035198x
13,262 8TB
This is my assignment exactly:

Compulsory features:

Optional features:

I like the "You may hunt for any source code or documents useful by Google" best. So they're giving you a googling test these days?
Jul 30 '07 #6
Can you help me please. This is serious stuff. I need this to graduated. And I am getting stressed out from this. PLEASE!
Jul 30 '07 #7
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Mark the relevant nouns in your assignment text; most of them will be the classes
in your chat system. Mark the relevant verbs in that text afterwards; most of them
will be the public methods of those classes.

There's a single server that has to handle some bookkeeping: (un)registerd users
that should be able to (de)register. Groups and friends play a part too.

Next play a CRC game (Classes, Responsibilities, Collaboration). You can play
that game in your head or using simple scribbling paper. Figure out who (class)
does what (responsibility) and who does it need for it (collaboration).

Communication using Java is easy: go for simple Sockets.

Start designing; the assignment sounds like fun to me.

kind regards,

Jos
Jul 30 '07 #8
Where would I purchase a server.
Jul 30 '07 #9
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB

You mean the hardware? Any ordinary PC would fo fine as long as it is hooked
up to some network. If you're talking software you're supposed to write it yourself.

kind regards,

Jos
Jul 31 '07 #10
blazedaces
284 100+
To add to Jos' remarks I suggest just using some really old computer you hardly use anymore and put some linux distro on it.
Jul 31 '07 #11
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
Hey I might be in the same boat as you.
We are thinking of having a live chat for my company ie on-line help.

nomad
Jul 31 '07 #12
r035198x
13,262 8TB
Thread renamed
Jul 31 '07 #13

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.